Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2005-06

Gator Pam

sounds suspiciously like they were keeping them for themselves :no:

I found a lot of bags of 4th of July M&M's yesterday. I scanned them and they rang up as 0.00. I brought 10 to the register, and the cashier called the front desk to do a k86 or something like that. I was then told they are no longer in the system, and could not be sold to me. I mentioned that they are 4th of July candy, so shouldn't they be 90% off the shelf-posted $2.00 price, but the cashier just put the M&M's under her checkout and the manager went to clean off the shelf. Is this normal?

In California there's some law that says that they have to honor whatever the sign says. They can take it down after, but they have to give it to you for what it says. That's how I got pair of $11.99 sandals at Target for $1.99, because the shelf label was wrong.

It really depends on the store.

We were shopping for winter gloves and the sign said 50% off gloves. We thought it was odd as they were very nice gloves so asked a mgr in the area. He says NOPE, takes the sign and says Sorry....

In California there's some law that says that they have to honor whatever the sign says. They can take it down after, but they have to give it to you for what it says. (QUOTE]

I dont know if it is a law here but that is what happens here too.

In California there's some law that says that they have to honor whatever the sign says. They can take it down after, but they have to give it to you for what it says. That's how I got pair of $11.99 sandals at Target for $1.99, because the shelf label was wrong.

I always thought if not a law, it was the correct way to do business. I was very surprised when it was the actual MANAGER to do this.

Same here in Oregon. In fact, that's the law in most states. I know when I worked in retail, our manager was on our behinds constantly making sure prices were marked correctly.

I found a lot of bags of 4th of July M&M's yesterday. I scanned them and they rang up as 0.00. I brought 10 to the register, and the cashier called the front desk to do a k86 or something like that. I was then told they are no longer in the system, and could not be sold to me. I mentioned that they are 4th of July candy, so shouldn't they be 90% off the shelf-posted $2.00 price, but the cashier just put the M&M's under her checkout and the manager went to clean off the shelf. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, it can be. At some Targets, once an item goes salvage they can try to refuse to sell it to you. The argument to use is that you found the item on the sales floor, and it is not coming up as recalled, so it is then for sale at the lowest sale price. Since you know those items were just 90% off last week, they know it as well, and should sell it to you.

However, some stores are just hard cases in regards to not selling salvaged items, and arguing until you're blue in the face will still get you no where. Again, you need to get the feel for each of your Target stores, and even individual cashiers within each store.

In regard to the M&M's, it is the Target I like to shop to get things I like when they are on clearance, like the Global Bazaar items, but it is not my favorite Target. It's not in the best neighborhood. The cashier held up the line for about 10 min, waiting on customer service to become available to do the price check. I am somewhat inclined to agree they wanted the items to themselves. \

Pam, thanks so much for the tip, but I'm sure I will not remember the right wording next time this happens. I mentioned the flip flops were still being sold in the 1 spot that had a 4th of July theme, but that didn't seem to matter because they rang up. I don't know, it's not even like I need the M&M's at all, I would probably store them until next 4th of July, it's just the point there was so many left on the shelf.

In regard to the M&M's, it is the Target I like to shop to get things I like when they are on clearance, like the Global Bazaar items, but it is not my favorite Target. It's not in the best neighborhood. The cashier held up the line for about 10 min, waiting on customer service to become available to do the price check. I am somewhat inclined to agree they wanted the items to themselves. \

Pam, thanks so much for the tip, but I'm sure I will not remember the right wording next time this happens. I mentioned the flip flops were still being sold in the 1 spot that had a 4th of July theme, but that didn't seem to matter because they rang up. I don't know, it's not even like I need the M&M's at all, I would probably store them until next 4th of July, it's just the point there was so many left on the shelf.

This happened to me before too. I found a really cute Easter dress on sale in the summertime that was still on the racks. It scanned at 0.00. So I asked a sales floor employee for the price and she told me it was a salvaged item and that they couldn't sell the item to me but they were going to donate it to Goodwill. i thought it was silly to not sell it to make the money, however, I wa at least glad it was going to a good place.

They actually get full price for the donation by giving it to Goodwill...in other words, they mark it back up to regular price and that money amount is what they get to claim as a donation.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Yes/N1Yes03HL5.gif

Precisely. This is how they claim they make such large donations to each community.

What bothers me is going to Goodwill and finding a Target item for sale there at more than what it was clearanced for at Target.

I have good news and bad!

First, I was lucky enough to get this 5 piece set at 75%off! $124.99!!!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000A3U9YE.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/hgbwp

Now for the bad news, I can not get this thing put together!! LOL!!

I spent 3 hours last night & I have nothing done! I assemble furniture from Target and Ikea all the time, so this is just not working!!

Oh well, it might have to go back to the store!

I have good news and bad!

First, I was lucky enough to get this 5 piece set at 75%off! $124.99!!!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000A3U9YE.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/hgbwp

Now for the bad news, I can not get this thing put together!! LOL!!

I spent 3 hours last night & I have nothing done! I assemble furniture from Target and Ikea all the time, so this is just not working!!

Oh well, it might have to go back to the store!

I can send my 11 year old over .. she's good about putting furniture together without even reading the directions! She's the one I let open all the "childproof" bottles I get .. lol

Shoes are 50% off. Tons of shoes! My local Target was set at this price. I went to the city next to ours and that Target had the shoes at 75% off. I purchased the kids some shoes there at 75% off, but some didn't fit my oldest and I went back to my local Target to exchange/return. I was told their shoes wouldn't be 75% off until Thursday. So I got the correct sizes at 75% off and before the crowds grabbed the sizes I needed.:D It pays to explore different Targets.

Not much good stuff here, but some of the bulk items started going 15% off - I know the Bounty Towels, can't think of the other one now. I ran there really quick at lunch. Both last week & today that place was mobbed - usually it's nice at lunchtime. Sure can tell back to school is coming!

When we got the peanut butter cups, they were scanning as salvage, and some lady collecting the hangers told the cashier not to sell them, but the cashier did anyways since she said they were on the shelf we should be able to buy them.

Some items of note in my run last night. They still had the spring chairs for the patio from the summer collection. Marked on the box was the original 129 price tag now they were going for $32 for the pair. I was wish i needed patio chairs because these are comfortable. They had a dvd burner/player that I almost got but I'm going to wait it out hopefully for 50%. The unit was at $69. Last item of note was a small wine fridge that was down 50%. Selling for $75. Target is started to be like costco where I can't walk out spending less than $100.

Well, patience definitely has its benefits when shopping at Target!

I have posted before about a rectangular ottoman at Target.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000CD9ZYC.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_V55351797_.jpg

Originally 129.99...it was first 30% off at my local Target for quite a while. Then finally 50% off. Today I scored finding it 75% at my Target!! Hooray for me!!

Well, patience definitely has its benefits when shopping at Target!

Yes it does!! Although it can bite you in the tush if someone buys it at a higher price than you want to pay.

I have posted before about a rectangular ottoman at Target.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000CD9ZYC.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_V55351797_.jpg

Originally 129.99...it was first 30% off at my local Target for quite a while. Then finally 50% off. Today I scored finding it 75% at my Target!! Hooray for me!!

:gdthums:

I was willing to live without it so was willing to be patient. But was actually surprised to see that it was still there!

I have learned a lot from reading this post so I thank you Pam for the time you took to help out all of us Target/deal seekers!

I was willing to live without it so was willing to be patient. But was actually surprised to see that it was still there!

Good for you!!

I have learned a lot from reading this post so I thank you Pam for the time you took to help out all of us Target/deal seekers!

Aww...you are so welcome. But I started the thread for purlely selfish reasons, as I look forward to reading what others find in their Targets as well, and maybe find the same deal at mine.