Line Etiquette Question?

ski_bunny100

We want the Dance Central Kinect game from Old Navy...so we were going to drop my husband off at 9 to stand in line there and then the ladies would head over to Toys R Us and come back around 11 to join him in line. Two questions- 1- Is 9:00 early enough to get the game? (my guess is since it's only for Kinect it will be less people than last year, but I've never done Old Navy before). 2- Are people going to get really mad if we jump in line by him at the last minute? What's the etiquette on Black Friday lines? I'm not diehard by any means and don't want to cause a ruckus or anything because I didn't know the "rules." Thanks!

Common etiquette would be that an actual human being must be in the spot. I have seen people stand in line for some of the night and someone comes for the rest of the night. Sometimes people get a little mad at that, but at least there was an actual person there and the number of people in line does not change (The person who left does not come back). Now if you are saving spots for people who have not been there, I do not agree with that and the other people in line will not either.

I'm not sure about Old Navy, but at other stores (Target, Best Buy, Sears, Circuit City, etc) I have seen this happen and people are not happy. You could get anything from rude looks and snide remarks to yelling by others in line to someone from the store removing you from the line. If you trade 1 to 1 you should be fine. But if there is 1 person in line and all of a sudden before opening it increases to 3 people that would really be ditching and people aren't going to be happy. I wouldn't recommend it.

We want the Dance Central Kinect game from Old Navy...so we were going to drop my husband off at 9 to stand in line there and then the ladies would head over to Toys R Us and come back around 11 to join him in line. Two questions- 1- Is 9:00 early enough to get the game? (my guess is since it's only for Kinect it will be less people than last year, but I've never done Old Navy before). 2- Are people going to get really mad if we jump in line by him at the last minute? What's the etiquette on Black Friday lines? I'm not diehard by any means and don't want to cause a ruckus or anything because I didn't know the "rules." Thanks!

I would say instead of getting there at 9 get there at 8 and stand in line with him for an hour or so while the line forms behind you. Then as the first person mentioned communicate to as many as you can behind and in front alerting them that you are leaving for just a little bit and coming back. I do agree that if you were never in line in the first place you shouldn't jump in and that is possible cause for them to tell all of you to go to the end of the line. But here in MI there are some that camp out and some that switch off, half of the people there has someone in the car warming up and going back and forth and in the end all the people come in. But all the people stand in line first and put some time in so those behind them knows they were there. I don't think dropping someone off is good etiquette.

Well I've only done this once about 2 years ago. My sister was first in line at Target and I had gone over to Walmart (this was when Walmart opened at 4 and Target at 5) and grabbed what I needed and then came back to Target. Since she was first, she had made friends with the people behind her and told them that I would be back (I had been waiting with her before going to Walmart). The people she was talking to didn't mind since we were only going for a two different doorbusters and some smaller things. I did, however, see some looks from people who didn't know directly what was going on.

This year I plan on dropping my sister off at Target again with two chairs and hitting up Walmart's midnight sale. I am hoping to get back to Target by 1:30 to wait for the rest of the time with her and do not forsee a problem. The problem, mainly, is the last minute joining that irks people.

I would say instead of getting there at 9 get there at 8 and stand in line with him for an hour or so while the line forms behind you. Then as the first person mentioned communicate to as many as you can behind and in front alerting them that you are leaving for just a little bit and coming back. I do agree that if you were never in line in the first place you shouldn't jump in and that is possible cause for them to tell all of you to go to the end of the line. But here in MI there are some that camp out and some that switch off, half of the people there has someone in the car warming up and going back and forth and in the end all the people come in. But all the people stand in line first and put some time in so those behind them knows they were there. I don't think dropping someone off is good etiquette.

:gdiagree:

I think its great that you asked.:)

Are all of you getting the game or just your husband? Just think how frustrating it would be if you have been standing there for a few hours for the game and then two people got in line and because of those two extra people you were not able to get a game.

I think BF and the entire holiday season is a great time to practice the The Golden Rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Have fun playing Dance Central!

:gdiagree:

I think its great that you asked.:)

Are all of you getting the game or just your husband? Just think how frustrating it would be if you have been standing there for a few hours for the game and then two people got in line and because of those two extra people you were not able to get a game.

I think BF and the entire holiday season is a great time to practice the The Golden Rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Have fun playing Dance Central!

This is what I agree with. If your gonna get one game then maybe its not a big deal. But if you have him standing in line and then you two join up and make your total games to 3. That would be a little upsetting.

My husband is planning on getting in line at Target, while I stay and put the kids to bed and wait for the babysitter. Then I was going to join him. We would still be getting the same thing. So do you think if he brings a chair and lets people know I will be coming (he will need to use the bathroom and such), will they get mad? It is not like we are getting two of something. He wants to go for the tv (but will not be heartbroken if we don't get it.) and the hard drive. That is it.

I don't want to make people mad though.

Are you planning on getting 3 games, or just the 1? I think if you are planning on getting 3 of the games you should all have to stay there. That's just my personal opinion though.

:gdyeahthat: I am also of the mindset that once you leave the line, you should not be able to come back.

My husband is planning on getting in line at Target, while I stay and put the kids to bed and wait for the babysitter. Then I was going to join him. We would still be getting the same thing. So do you think if he brings a chair and lets people know I will be coming (he will need to use the bathroom and such), will they get mad? It is not like we are getting two of something. He wants to go for the tv (but will not be heartbroken if we don't get it.) and the hard drive. That is it.

I don't want to make people mad though.

Yes communicating especially the fact that you are both getting just one thing as a family should work.

1 for 1 seems to be the fair way. I would have no problem if someone stood in front of me for 8 hours and at the last minute they gave their spot to someone else. I would not be happy if an additional person showed up later and stood with them, no matter what they said they were doing.

1 for 1 seems to be the fair way. I would have no problem if someone stood in front of me for 8 hours and at the last minute they gave their spot to someone else. I would not be happy if an additional person showed up later and stood with them, no matter what they said they were doing.

Same here. I don't like the idea of standing in line for hours just to see that somebody in front of me is getting company the last minute. And it doesn't matter if it's husband, wife, nephew, if they are getting in line breaking rules and etiquette it's not ok.

We would just be getting one game...just standing next to him to keep him company towards the end. I agree that I'd be really mad if I missed out by a couple people joining on later, so maybe we'll get there really early (like 8) and just switch in and out. Old Navy's deals don't look that great at all, and since they're doing them on Thurs. too I would imagine the only people there will be there for the game. Thanks everyone for the great advice!!!

I'm having my husband get in line at WM while I'm in line at TRU. I plan to get out of TRU and join my husband in line. We only want a bike from WM, and I'm sure my husband will have to go warm up in the car after I join him. I really don't think people will have an issue, if they do we will tell them he is there to carry it and I'm there to put in on my cc. That is my plan anyway. My husband is such a wuss when it comes to cold temps, I could see him leaving line to warm up before I even get there.

In the midwest, it is very common for people to take turns waiting in a warm car. Both people start out together and then they start taking turns. usually, no problems, just jealousy that they have someone they can do this with.

Here's a different twist on the issue. I am awaiting knee replacement surgery and currently wear a brace from mid calf to mid thigh. My plan is to meet with my friend after I get done at walmart. My job is to go inside, get the cart, and then sit down and wait for her. She will be getting the items. It is very chaotic in our Target and I'm nervous about injury. Our Target is not set up well for black friday and you can't get a cart anywhere near where the items are at. I simply cannot stand outside in the cold (the temp is supposed to be 0) b/c it creates a huge problem with the joint. My friend plans to tell those around her in line before I get there, that I won't be doing any real shopping but just sitting there with a cart in the shoe dept. (like a good husband would do if we could get ours to come with us), and if they need someone to help hold things, I'm more than happy to help them out. We're hoping this will help solve some problems.

BTW, if you see someone with an obvious disability, please cut them a little slack. They probably can't run to get the items, so don't knock them over. If you see someone in a wheelchair, don't push them out of the way (yes, I have seen that happen), if they are trying to get to a deal on movies or something, follow the golden rule and ask them if they would like you to hand them one.

I know I am one that tell people that they need to go to the back of the line, if I have stood in line for hours and then the person in front of me lets others in line, I am not happy and I have reported them to store personel...most stores will then make that person move out to the back of the line. I find it highly unfair that someone just show up at the last minute and cuts in front of others who have spent their time waiting, my time is just as valuable as theirs is. If they really are there to help carry an item, then they should have no problem going to end of the line and meeting up with their party once inside. Not to mention that there are so many crazy people out now, that I would think one might be taking a big chance at getting hurt or worse.

When it's really cold - and we've had a few times standing in line below zero - almost everyone in line that is with a buddy does the 15 min swaps to get warmed up. Both people are there, just one in line at a time to get warmed up in a car. I had one particularly cold night that the people in front of me invited me to do some warm up time with them in their car. must just be a midwestern thing. The attitude is that we are all waiting, but due to weather, it just doesn't make sense to have each person stand in the cold the entire time. No one minds b/c if you are standing in line for any length of time, it's readily apparent what is going on. Of course, there are also those in line who are keeping warm with a flask, but that is part of the fun.

When it's really cold - and we've had a few times standing in line below zero - almost everyone in line that is with a buddy does the 15 min swaps to get warmed up. Both people are there, just one in line at a time to get warmed up in a car. I had one particularly cold night that the people in front of me invited me to do some warm up time with them in their car. must just be a midwestern thing. The attitude is that we are all waiting, but due to weather, it just doesn't make sense to have each person stand in the cold the entire time. No one minds b/c if you are standing in line for any length of time, it's readily apparent what is going on. Of course, there are also those in line who are keeping warm with a flask, but that is part of the fun.

Definitely a midwest thang and definitely how we all do it!