UGH I'm so torn... should I get 1 expensive gift or many smaller gifts

Angelseyes28

moved to holiday forum as this is more of a gifting discussion.

Sorry about that, thanks for moving it for me:)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Going to try to answer some of the questions I saw. First she's 15.....a very responsible 15 when it comes to money. A couple years ago she saved up her money and bought herself a $125 digital camera. A couple months ago her best friend borrowed and broke it. My daughter made her pay back EVERY penny that it originally cost her lol. She definitely understands the value of a dollar and understands the financial strain we are in right now.

I think my indecision was more for myself than anything. I'm like bluebear when it comes to giving the kids gifts for Christmas. That being said, I've read everyones replies and have decided to buy her the touch...........I know without a doubt that she will be thrilled. Plus I liked the idea of her being able to shop and get the other things she wants ON SALE after Christmas.

Since she's been looking at the 2nd/3rd gen 8gb and they are about $180 I've decided to tough it out and try to get the one from TRU since it will end up being the same price with the gc. I'm not big on ebay or craigslist......been burned on those. I got my money back from both but I'm just not willing to risk it when it comes to a Christmas gift.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies!!

Wise choice mom :)

Plus you’re doing a good job raising a finically savvy young lady

Thanks, I'm proud of her:) Too bad my 12 yr old son isn't as savvy! He's been saying for 2 years that he's saving his money for a ps3. Yeah he saves it alright, saves it till his next trip to the store! lol I'm thinking he will have enough saved up for the ps3 by the time the ps37 comes out!

Sorry about that, thanks for moving it for me:)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Going to try to answer some of the questions I saw. First she's 15.....a very responsible 15 when it comes to money. A couple years ago she saved up her money and bought herself a $125 digital camera. A couple months ago her best friend borrowed and broke it. My daughter made her pay back EVERY penny that it originally cost her lol. She definitely understands the value of a dollar and understands the financial strain we are in right now.

I think my indecision was more for myself than anything. I'm like bluebear when it comes to giving the kids gifts for Christmas. That being said, I've read everyones replies and have decided to buy her the touch...........I know without a doubt that she will be thrilled. Plus I liked the idea of her being able to shop and get the other things she wants ON SALE after Christmas.

Since she's been looking at the 2nd/3rd gen 8gb and they are about $180 I've decided to tough it out and try to get the one from TRU since it will end up being the same price with the gc. I'm not big on ebay or craigslist......been burned on those. I got my money back from both but I'm just not willing to risk it when it comes to a Christmas gift.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies!!

She'll love it and will be busy with it all Christmas day. The touch is one of the gifts that I do not regret buying for DD as she gets so much use out of it. (and my mom too when DD is at school, lol)

Thanks for the discussion, I am in the same boat with my DS11. He is always talking about a friend at school who has one, the fun games it has on it. He has a DSLite and video games which he barely ever plays. It is a lot of money if he isn't going to use it, although he is really getting into popular music now (it plays games and music, right?). It would be his only present (and it would have to be whatever one is around $100). He also has board games, big lego sets, and a bike on his list of wants. I don't know what to do either. My husband likes a BIG pile of presents under the tree, even if they all come from the dollar store, which they often do...while I prefer a gift they will actually use and appreciate. Last year I spent a lot of money on some things they hardly use. My other son wants an XBOX 360 (so does hubby) and that wasn't really in my budget either. I guess if those are their gifts, it won't matter that there is nothing else to open because they can spend the rest of the day (week) playing. ?right? My kids are very good about not wanting a lot.

Thanks for the discussion, I am in the same boat with my DS11. He is always talking about a friend at school who has one, the fun games it has on it. He has a DSLite and video games which he barely ever plays. It is a lot of money if he isn't going to use it, although he is really getting into popular music now (it plays games and music, right?). It would be his only present (and it would have to be whatever one is around $100). He also has board games, big lego sets, and a bike on his list of wants. I don't know what to do either. My husband likes a BIG pile of presents under the tree, even if they all come from the dollar store, which they often do...while I prefer a gift they will actually use and appreciate. Last year I spent a lot of money on some things they hardly use. My other son wants an XBOX 360 (so does hubby) and that wasn't really in my budget either. I guess if those are their gifts, it won't matter that there is nothing else to open because they can spend the rest of the day (week) playing. ?right? My kids are very good about not wanting a lot.

Your son can do a lot with the ipod touch. Listen to music, play games and download applications for it. He can find apps that can help with his school work, and many other things. He will need an itunes account to download apps and you can buy itunes cards for as low as $15. If he has cd's he can convert them in to MP3's with itunes and put those on the ipod touch too.

If you do decide to get a xbox 360 consider getting it at Target. They have the newer one that is 4gb for $199 and you get a $50 Target gift card and with a $100 dollar purchase you get a $10 gift card too.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2020-Xbox3604GBConsolewFree50GiftCard.html

I agree, get her that one special gift. If you feel the need to have other things to open (which I understand), then like others said, Dollar Store, nail polish, etc. Could just decide to spend $5/paycheck til Christmas on the little extras. It will add up. And like others said also, her $$ will go much, much further after Christmas.

Remember, quality vs quantity! She will be thrilled to receive her requested gift. :D