xbox 360 vs wii

mmptysmom

I like them both, Wii has lots more kid friendly and family games in my opinion, but xbox can be used for more things (ie, DVD player). Xbox has the new Kinect (no controllers) on it which is kind of cool but only for a few games (you can buy it with the console or after the fact), Wii has the motion controllers for all games.

You can get PS3's that are backwards compatible and will play the PS2 games. PS3 is the best option if you want a blu ray player. It's expensive, but if you use it for BR for the whole family, its more worth it than a regular BR because it does automatic updates. If you go to Amazon, there is an ongoing PS3 vs. XBox debate and people bring up Wii's too. We have all 3 and they are all great for different things. Really depends on what you'll use it for. Just for him or for the whole family, what kind of games does he like, etc.

We love the wii. My son is 13 and my oldest has the xbox. He cannot get on the internet without paying for it, but the wii is wireless and gets online free. Our netflix is right on their and it costs nothing. My youngest said the xbox is for for older kids . The games are not made for younger kids. The wii is so versatile. I bought the wii fit for me and even my 4 year old grand daughter plays it.

I have to vote for XBOX 360 here, we had the Wii for our youngest son and wanted to sell it to buy the Xbox. For us he is the only one who plays the games, so the Wii wasn't much fun for him. If there are more than one playing alot I think it would be different. Now for his Xbox, I really have to control how long he plays or he would stay on forever. He plays online with several of his school friends and with cousins in different states, that he never gets to see. That part is really nice because he gets to talk to them. It took me awhile to get used to this, I would walk by his room and think who is he talking to. Open the door, he's playing away and talking away.

Just remember most games for the XBOX are not as child friendly as the Wii so that could also be the deciding factor.

Wii is fun with a lot of family friendly games. XBox is more game-y type games. We have Wii, my son wants XBox so he can play Halo and some of the other games the kids at school talk about. The Kinect looks fun. I just picked up a Xbox/Kinect bundle for christmas today. If you do decide to get that particular bundle, I'd buy it now. They're already sold out online. You have a choice between 4 gig and 250gig for the XBox. I went ahead and got th 250. Supposedly not all games will play on the 4, and it gets filled up quickly.

we have both the PS3 and the Wii. We have four kids but our oldest son is 8 and he plays the most video games. He actually sets his alarm ealierand makes his bed, gets dressed, gets his breakfast all by 7:00 AM to give himself 30 minutes to play lol. At any rate, I would go with a PS3 or Xbox. The Wii is a fun family activity but to be honest, ours sits and collects dust mostly. If your son is into sports games (like ours), then he will be prefer either of the other two systems. Plus with both Xbox and Sony now coming out with a "movement" based options, I see Wii sales falling hard. The Wii does have a huge advantage in games, but its only a matter of time before the others catch up. The Blueray player on the PS3 is what helped sell us as well.

My son is a gamer and his choice is xbox 360. He connects online to play with school friends and family across the USA. They can actually play the games together like they were in the same room and talk to each other over headsets. I think that is a cool thing for xbox 360, but you must have the internet to play xbox 360 live.

Can anyone explain how can you get a ps3 to play ps2 games, please? My brother has ps3 and I think they have the highest GB yet they still can't play ps3 games.

My son is a gamer and his choice is xbox 360. He connects online to play with school friends and family across the USA. They can actually play the games together like they were in the same room and talk to each other over headsets. I think that is a cool thing for xbox 360, but you must have the internet to play xbox 360 live.

Can anyone explain how can you get a ps3 to play ps2 games, please? My brother has ps3 and I think they have the highest GB yet they still can't play ps3 games.

You can no longer buy a new PS3 that has the backwards compatability. those versions are no longer made; you could check craigslist or even your local gamestop. I'm drawing a blank on what the last model was that offered this option...

You can no longer buy a new PS3 that has the backwards compatability. those versions are no longer made; you could check craigslist or even your local gamestop. I'm drawing a blank on what the last model was that offered this option...

Do you know when they stopped making them? They got theirs sometime ago, it's not new. I thought I read someone where that there was an update or something you could download to fix this?

Do you know when they stopped making them? They got theirs sometime ago, it's not new. I thought I read someone where that there was an update or something you could download to fix this?

it's the discontinued 60gb version that had it; possibly the 80gb as well. if its a version after that there is nothing you can do to get backwards compatability.

it's the discontinued 60gb version that had it; possibly the 80gb as well. if its a version after that there is nothing you can do to get backwards compatability.

Okay thanks for the info. I personally will never buy a ps3 that will not play my sons 100+ ps2 games. I think that is so wrong of Sony.

my son (15) has had an xbox 360 for years...we are strict on not allowing "M" rated games in our house and "T" games were only allowed after parental review up until recently...so although he loves his xbox 360, and it is the choice of most teenage boys I think...he is somewhat frustrated by the game choice and "all the good games are rated 'M'".... my daughter (12) got a Wii two years ago and the whole family enjoys it (and I do not like gaming), but enjoy watching/occasionally joining in; and when the cousins or other kids come over (of any age) they get on the Wii and lots of fun is had! Hope this helps.

We have a ps3 and Wii. I originally chose the ps3 because of the graphics being superior. The Wii was purchased becasue of the additional fun factor of using the controller and nunchunk and balance board (wii fit, olympics, etc). My pros/cons on the systems would be:

xbox 360: Kinect (no controller game play), HALO (only available on xbox).

ps3: PS Move (camera w/controller) to get into the immersion effect, plays blue-ray, playstation store allows you to download demos of games, can also play against others online (all systems offer this).

Wii: Balance board and controllers for immersion are fun. The balance board was fun for yoga and olympic games. It has some Wii fit pieces that are good too, but we really don't do much with it. We purchased it for Christmas last year and most of its use is for watching netflix these days (the boys prefer to play on the computer). More children type games.

Additional bonuses: netflix will play on all 3 (as an app), MLB app for ps3 (may have been on other systems, but I didn't check).

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I'd still go with the PS3 and maybe the xbox 360 because of Halo and the new kinect (playing without a controller just sounds like a lot of fun).

Good luck!

update: I noticed today that Hulu plus is now available on the PS3. This allows for watching tv episodes (not all, but qutie a few). I'm hoping to eventually get to where I can cancel DirecTV and just do everything through via the Internet. Hulu is free on the pc, but the plus piece costs $8/month and is required for iPad, iPhone and PS3. Not sure if it is available on the xbox 360, but I would be surprised if it wasn't.

Edited by Gnish
added Hulu plus piece