24 hour WalMarts?

lakiaw

Hi

I live by a 24 hour Wally and a Reg. Wally, in Wisconsin. How does Black Friday work for the 24 hour stores? I know it will very in different areas but just wanted an idea. I usually stand out at Target or Best Buy I've never been to Wally's store on this day. thanks:gd_steeri

I've done a 24hr Walmart for the last 5yrs. You can enter at any time and start filling your cart with the regular items- which is when I get all my items to be price matched from different store's ads so I don't have to go to fifty million stores LOL. I get that done all while checking out the shrink-wrapped palates that are throughout the store, so I know where I want to be waiting for that 5am frenzy. My store has had an employee stand guard at each palate so that customers can't tear open any part to take one early. And at the stroke of 5am, they cut it open and everybody grabs.

I've done Walmart even when I didn't get any of their doorbuster items in shrink wrap. I like that you can enter at 3-4am to do your shopping, and I like that they easily price-match my ads so that I don't have to go to a bunch of stores- it saves me a lot of grief of going to a lot of stores. And if I don't have anything doorbuster to wait on, I'm usually first or second in checkout at 5am and I'm out of there by 5:05am and onto my next travel.. sometimes breakfast before;) Also, my experience is that the cashier won't let you buy Black Friday price matching items until the same time as that store's sale time, not anytime you show them an ad, so thats why I've had to wait until 5am to checkout when I didn't have any doorbuster items.

lol that is one thing I do know by heart is the store managers name it is written on the inside of the ladys room door.. and has been for years. when I was pregnant with my youngest every time I walked into walmart my would get the urge to puke.. I spent alot of time in the bath room and my son still hates that store

I work for Walmart and work with the planning for "The Event" as WM likes to call it now. Planning SHOULD (I say should because it's up to management) have begun in late September. Basically, most of you have mentioned it and hit it on the head:

24-Hour Stores will of course be open. You can wander around and buy anything except doorbusters. This year WM will have a sale that also starts at Midnight. You can pick up those items and buy them or just keep them in your cart. At 5am, the doorbusters will be released for sale. Doorbusters will be marked with giant numbered helium/mylar balloons. Each store SHOULD have maps telling customers what number belongs to what item. Customers will line up in the numbered line they choose and will be given wristbands and a number. That number will guarantee you a doorbuster item. Each doorbuster has a tight inventory count/associated with a wristband. So, there will only be wristbands given out for the exact number of items for that line. The lines should be spaced enough to avoid clumping in a certain area. TVs in the automotive bays (or garden center), computers in grocery, etc.

I'm not familiar with the planning for the non-24 hour stores, but I have heard they will open at 12:01am on Black Friday. That's all I am aware of on those stores.

Now I would talk (if at all possible to a store manager). Many store managers try to follow what is asked of them by corporate but some managers have their own take on certain instructions (which is why some stores seem to be chaotic and unorganized). I don't know why this occurs because there is a pretty well laid out plan for Black Friday and it's pretty self explanatory in my opinion. I think it just boils down to the fact some stores care more than other stores about how it goes down.

I think for the most part, the new system works when people know what's going on and management informs customers as well. With 8,400 stores and growing, I'm sure there are a few glitches in some areas.

We had a 24hr WM for the 1st time around here last BF. We were allowed to walk in the store anytime and load up carts. clothing shoes and some of the door busters that were scattered around the store ppl were opening and employees didnt care the only things they were protective of was the line of doorbusters that ran from the front to the back of the store down the main aisle between grocery and the rest of the store. I was EXTREMELY UPSET because they REFUSED to pm any doorbusters from other stores when i had been able to all other yrs. I was out of the store by 515. Oh and my store ticked off my brother who got there at 3am to stand in line 4 the laptops only to find out the tickets were given all out at midnight. ppl got their tickets at midnight went home then came back in the am.

Last year most people believed the sale started at 5am, so when WM released the merch on the floor at 12:01am there was no competition to get it. Now with the sales being advertised at 12:01, tons of people will be there. What are they going to do when people are coming in at 9 and 10 pm for the games, dvd's and clothes? Make them line up next to a pallet? So I might have to plant my mom at the bikes, my husband at the video games, and I will have to stake claim at girls jeans? I think I like the doors opening at 5am better, and then everyone dashing from deal to deal at the same time. With a crowd gathering at each sale I don't see much success getting around to very many of them in time. Plus, I think a lot of people will find it easier to stay up till midnight-1-ish, then getting up at 4am. It's going to be crazy.

I work for Walmart and work with the planning for "The Event" as WM likes to call it now. Planning SHOULD (I say should because it's up to management) have begun in late September. Basically, most of you have mentioned it and hit it on the head:

24-Hour Stores will of course be open. You can wander around and buy anything except doorbusters. This year WM will have a sale that also starts at Midnight. You can pick up those items and buy them or just keep them in your cart. At 5am, the doorbusters will be released for sale. Doorbusters will be marked with giant numbered helium/mylar balloons. Each store SHOULD have maps telling customers what number belongs to what item. Customers will line up in the numbered line they choose and will be given wristbands and a number. That number will guarantee you a doorbuster item. Each doorbuster has a tight inventory count/associated with a wristband. So, there will only be wristbands given out for the exact number of items for that line. The lines should be spaced enough to avoid clumping in a certain area. TVs in the automotive bays (or garden center), computers in grocery, etc.

I'm not familiar with the planning for the non-24 hour stores, but I have heard they will open at 12:01am on Black Friday. That's all I am aware of on those stores.

Now I would talk (if at all possible to a store manager). Many store managers try to follow what is asked of them by corporate but some managers have their own take on certain instructions (which is why some stores seem to be chaotic and unorganized). I don't know why this occurs because there is a pretty well laid out plan for Black Friday and it's pretty self explanatory in my opinion. I think it just boils down to the fact some stores care more than other stores about how it goes down.

I think for the most part, the new system works when people know what's going on and management informs customers as well. With 8,400 stores and growing, I'm sure there are a few glitches in some areas.

I don't plan on going for any of the 5am doorbusters so I was wondering how the midnight sale will work. Will those items be on a wrapped pallet or will they just be sitting out? I was just wondering if I could go & add the items to my cart & wait until 12:01 to check out. Thanks for any info you can give! :)

I don't plan on going for any of the 5am doorbusters so I was wondering how the midnight sale will work. Will those items be on a wrapped pallet or will they just be sitting out? I was just wondering if I could go & add the items to my cart & wait until 12:01 to check out. Thanks for any info you can give! :)

Wondering the same thing.

they will usually let you in at midnight and you can stand by packaged pallets of merchandise, then at 5 (or whatever the start time is) the plastic comes off and the crazy starts

wow is that really how it works!! gee!!

it really depends on the store. You should be able to go in at any time at any 24 hour walmart. most items will be shrink wrapped. they are not suppose to cut the wrap until the time it starts, but alot of times people do and you can have your cart ready to check out when the sale starts.

wow sounds like a consensus!

The store was open 24 hrs and the sales people let us put items in our carts around midnight. The only things you couldn't get until 5 were the hot items like tvs and laptops. Also you couldn't check out until 5.

thank you for this information! definite consensus!! gonna have to get there at 12am for the 5am items!!! yippiee!!! the best part is no waiting in the cold!! now i can wait inside!!! sawweeet!!!

thanks for the thread OP, didn't even think how our 24hr WM's would be handling this.

I don't think the non doorbusters will be shrink wrapped. They're usually in their regular section, or close by. So if you want a board game, you can go at 7pm or 11 pm and put it in your cart if you want. But you have to wait until 12:01 am to actually check out. It's just like the other stuff that's on sale after 1pm on BF. If you wanted a kitchenaid mixer you could go any time that day to get it at that price. But, the earlier you go, the better chance you have of it being in stock. :)

I am thinking like rjncmj. I think many ppl will be there before midnight to get games and dvds and such and then line up for a doorbuster item. This will lead to many, many hrs. in Walmart, ugh. The 12:01 am deals is just making everyone start 5 hrs. earlier than normal. So if you usually get in line around 3 am now you'll have to line up around 10 pm and so on. Wonder how many will deal w/that long of a wait?

there is a Stanley tool set in the Walmart BF ad - does anyone know if this be purchased online for site-to-store pickup?

I guess I'm confused about the non-door buster items & don't want to go to the store at midnight if I don't have to!!

TIA!!!

there is a Stanley tool set in the Walmart BF ad - does anyone know if this be purchased online for site-to-store pickup?

I guess I'm confused about the non-door buster items & don't want to go to the store at midnight if I don't have to!!

TIA!!!

No one knows exactly what the retailers are going to put on their websites for sale on Black Friday yet. Hopefully we'll know a few days before BF. hth