Nook vs. Kindle Thread

Rockfordmom

I got the nook last year for Christmas. It has had some problems, but I got the insurance and it has been replaced twice. Once got a lemon and they replaced it no problem. Second, the advanced button split and the sent a refurb immediately. Despite those issues, which I feel are normal for any electronics, I love my Nook. I'm a big fan of Barnes and Nobles and go there with my Nook all the time. I still like looking at the books and going to the store. Plus, we go as a family. DH has been asking questions lately about it so I got him and DS(soon to be 14) one of these. This is a great deal. I paid the $249.00 for the roll out of the Nook. Having gotten a replacement refurb in a different package....it looks new and works fabulours. Now we all can go to B&N with our Nooks

Did you get yours yet? I ordered 2 of them and am considering getting another one for myself

It arrived yesterday finally. It looks like new. The only thing that identified it as used was a sticker on the sleeve and it says reconditioned on the barcode on the box. Definiety worth the price.

Ummm.. I got my Nook last christmas and haven't heard of "sideloading" or DRM, etc... Where can I get more info?

Sideloading is when you borrow a book from the library, or purchase a book from other than B&N. You plug your Nook into your PC and drag the book to your Nook. It will show up in the My Documents folder on the Nook. For library books you will need to use Adobe Digital Editions. The book from the library will go there, and from there your Nook will show up as a drive to transfer the book. I tend to use ADE for all my sideload content just because I can organize it better.

DRM is the digital rights management that stops you from loaning your ebook to your friends (like in iTunes you can't share your music).

Honestly, for the best information check out the B&N message boards. I learned everything from there. They are a mean bunch if you ask a question that has been asked a million times already, so read a bit first :yup: There are a few prolific posters that have links in their sigs that will point you to the answer for most any question.

The library thing can be a pain to set up, but it works very well and easily once it is set up. Check out your local library website, but for ours you had to download Adobe Digital Editions (free) to your computer. It was supposed to do a popup and recognize the nook, but it didn't. After websearching endlessly I changed some permission and the popup came up and it recognized the nook. Then I couldn't figure out how to move books from my computer to the nook. You just drag the title over on top of the word NOOK. I'm sure that's all obvious to many, but none of it was for me and the directions to do this were nonexistent. But it's extremely easy, at least at our library, to check out ebooks once it's set up. I might have given up setting it up, but checking out books from t he library was the reason I BOUGHT the thing, so I was not about to give up.

Ok I have a question for Nook owners who have the Nook with wi fi/3G Can you tell me if you can get onto Amazon, Gottadeal and Facebook with the Nook. A friend already checked and she was able to get on all 3 with the Kindle Wi fi/3G I am just wondering exactly what the Nook/Kindle can do as opposed getting a tablet which can also be an Ereader

Thanks for any and all help.

Ok I have a question for Nook owners who have the Nook with wi fi/3G Can you tell me if you can get onto Amazon, Gottadeal and Facebook with the Nook. A friend already checked and she was able to get on all 3 with the Kindle Wi fi/3G I am just wondering exactly what the Nook/Kindle can do as opposed getting a tablet which can also be an Ereader

Thanks for any and all help.

Yes, you can :) I didn't try it with the 3G, but it worked on Wi-Fi

Someone asked about no name ones. I got the Delstar Ereader free from DH company as his 10 year "thanks for staying sucker" gift. I am thrilled so far with it. Have read 3 "free" books and have several others loaded and ready to go. The BIG issue I am having is the price of the books. I have issues with 9.99 downloads so this free little guy that lets me read free books, overdrive, and any other DRM free book is fine by me. Maybe once there are more players and the price of the book downloads go down I will buy one of these other brands but for right now my little guy is just fine. I would thin as long as you dont expect it to make you coffee and a massage most that just want to read would be happy with an off brand. Just do your research into what file types it DOES read

I have a "Q" Has anyone had luck joining non-local libraries? Ours is overdrive hooked up but is still meager offerings. I didnt know if I joined a larger city library if I would have more options

Someone asked about no name ones. I got the Delstar Ereader free from DH company as his 10 year "thanks for staying sucker" gift. I am thrilled so far with it. Have read 3 "free" books and have several others loaded and ready to go. The BIG issue I am having is the price of the books. I have issues with 9.99 downloads so this free little guy that lets me read free books, overdrive, and any other DRM free book is fine by me. Maybe once there are more players and the price of the book downloads go down I will buy one of these other brands but for right now my little guy is just fine. I would thin as long as you dont expect it to make you coffee and a massage most that just want to read would be happy with an off brand. Just do your research into what file types it DOES read

I have a "Q" Has anyone had luck joining non-local libraries? Ours is overdrive hooked up but is still meager offerings. I didnt know if I joined a larger city library if I would have more options

I checked with our Free Library of Philadelphia which as a PA resident I can join for free (out of state is $15) and they have a lot of the new releases. There are several branches within the library system. I will be getting the Nook and will sign up for Overdrive and get my books thru them. I wont be buying books since it works out too expensive for me since I read so much.

I checked with our Free Library of Philadelphia which as a PA resident I can join for free (out of state is $15) and they have a lot of the new releases. There are several branches within the library system. I will be getting the Nook and will sign up for Overdrive and get my books thru them. I wont be buying books since it works out too expensive for me since I read so much.

hmm wonder if my PA mil has a library card lol ty for info

I just ordered the Nook speeddiva posted on the on-line deals forum ($99 refurb at buy.com).

After reading everyone's thoughts on Nook vs. Kindle,I think the Nook will better suit my husband.

It's will be a big surprise though because I told him I couldn't afford to buy him one this year!

Thanks to all the insight on the board and to HansieDZ post on buying from buy.com, I have just put my order through for a refurb Nook 3G/WiFi for $119. Thanks everyone!:D

:gdthums:Thanks to the posters re libraries. I just ordered my free phone from Philadelphia, being a PA resident. I also checked more into my local library and after playing around for a bit I found that Bucks County Free Libraries have a lot of offerings too. I just didn't have the patience :eyepoppinbefore, but with my Nook ordered and on the way and everyone getting me all excited about the libraries, I decided to suck it up and check it out. So glad I did. I even got my coworkers all excited about it.:D

I NEED a kindle deal!! Does anyone know if Amazon ever does a deal on these? Maybe on bf?

Yea, I wouldn't mind a kindle deal. I have the app on the iphone and I really have enjoyed it, but would like a bigger screen... Trying to hold out for an Ipad, but the cost difference esp since I have a netbook, the kindle is probably the way for me to go... Dreaming at the moment though as I have the boys to take care of.

:gdthums:Thanks to the posters re libraries. I just ordered my free phone from Philadelphia, being a PA resident. I also checked more into my local library and after playing around for a bit I found that Bucks County Free Libraries have a lot of offerings too. I just didn't have the patience :eyepoppinbefore, but with my Nook ordered and on the way and everyone getting me all excited about the libraries, I decided to suck it up and check it out. So glad I did. I even got my coworkers all excited about it.:D

You got a free phone from Philadelphia?? Can you give me more information about that. I am on my way to BB now may be picking up my Nook today!!:D

I agree the only way U would get an ereader is to be able to get books from the library. I read so much it is not cost effective for me to buy books so I always borrow from the library. Now with the Nook I can continue to do so. I have been looking at them and I will be getting a Nook. I was leery of getting the refurbished one from Ebay, otherwise I would have done so already.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I am an avid reader and have my Kindle 2 for over 2 years now and think I have spent maybe $75 - $100 tops on books I have bought. Before I had my Kindle I would buy all of my books at the bookstore since I don't prefer the library. Now I find that there are lots of free offerings on Amazon - I can download them and keep them on my Kindle indefinitely until I get around to reading them. I also love the indie authors that self publish and offer VERY cheap books on Amazon as well. These are authors I wouldn't have had a chance to read without my e-reader and browsing Amazon / Kindleforums.

Cost effectiveness might be a factor to you but it is not that way for everyone who chooses to get an e-reader. I mainly got my Kindle for the ease of use, the fact that I don't have to lug my book around and physically turn pages. I don't have millions of books around my house anymore and I feel like I am saving some trees this way. The cost of the books was secondary in my decision.

That being said - I am partial to the Kindle but I admit I have never used the Nook. I like the functionality of the Kindle and the customer service of Amazon. I love the e-ink and the fact that I can read my Kindle anywhere, anytime. Get what works for you.

Oh I am so happy!!! I ordered my Nook from Best Buy just now. I for the 3G wi fi, light, leather book cover and extra battery all for $249.95. I had some gift cards so the price got lowered some lol. I went into the store today to get it but could not use my Reward Zone coupons with it so decided to order online since my tax in PA is lower than in NY. I can't wait to get it and start borrowing some books.