Worst Black Friday experience at a store?

jb2013

Worst experience was definitely Kohl's, last year... They had the best deals and were open early (I think 3 or 4 am they opened?) so we hit them first... I dropped my DH in line (which was halfway around the store, for both register banks) while I ran around the store for everything we needed. Over an hour later we were finally rung up, and I realized that everything we purchased we could have gotten online through Kohls.com, with an additional 10 or 15% off AND free shipping... SO THAT'S what we'll be doing this year for anything we need at Kohl's!

Watch out for Kohl's online. On BF their site went out, you couldn't check ou and it was way way way too slow. I did email them about the problem and they let me get some items at Black Friday prices the next day...however many were sold out. I should have gone to the store!

Best Buy a few years ago. I waited in line starting at 5:00pm Thanksgiving day, and I was about 50th in line. I wanted a laptop. I knew that there weren't 50, but I had hoped that not everyone wanted the same thing. After waiting 12 hours, they passed out tickets. The people in front of me took a ticket for every item offered whether they wanted it or not, then sold the tickets. I was so disillusioned I left with nothing and almost gave up on BF. Luckily, I realized that I just needed to give up on BB and have been happily shopping at other stores ever since :)

My BF nightmare is literally the identical scenario!!! We lined up right after turkey dinner and were numbers 41 and 42 in line. We got NOTHING on our long list of must haves. What a joke!

• 2 weeks later...

Best Buy a few years ago. I waited in line starting at 5:00pm Thanksgiving day, and I was about 50th in line. I wanted a laptop. I knew that there weren't 50, but I had hoped that not everyone wanted the same thing. After waiting 12 hours, they passed out tickets. The people in front of me took a ticket for every item offered whether they wanted it or not, then sold the tickets. I was so disillusioned I left with nothing and almost gave up on BF. Luckily, I realized that I just needed to give up on BB and have been happily shopping at other stores ever since :)

Lining up late on Thanksgiving for a line at Best Buy is fairly well predictable, as you found out. You were absolutely correct. lining up for a laptop equates to being there within the top twenty to be fairly certain that you will get something. You must expect the worst when calculating the odds, unless you get to know the people in front of you which can bring more desired results, or a quick trip home after the headcount reveals the obvious.

Funniest and worst experience ever was my first Black Friday experience. There were about 100 people in line at ShopKo...I was in the first 10. About 15 minutes before opening, a man in a wheelchair rolled up and asked if we minded if he went first so he could get in and out of the way. We agreed, and he parked right in front of the doors. When they opened, he jumped up and ran - and left his wheelchair blocking the doors! It was hysterically funny and horrible all at the same time - I thought he was going to get pummeled!

Funniest and worst experience ever was my first Black Friday experience. There were about 100 people in line at ShopKo...I was in the first 10. About 15 minutes before opening, a man in a wheelchair rolled up and asked if we minded if he went first so he could get in and out of the way. We agreed, and he parked right in front of the doors. When they opened, he jumped up and ran - and left his wheelchair blocking the doors! It was hysterically funny and horrible all at the same time - I thought he was going to get pummeled!

WOW, that's so funny and so bad at the same time. *Note to self-borrow grandmoms wheel chair!*

Kmart! I don't understand why they only had 3 registers open!! The busiest day of the year and they can't have a couple of extra cashiers? Having 3 open is like a normal day. The lines were enormous..wayyyyy past the ladies clothing dept. Ugh..I may have to rethink my game plan this year and not include Kmart in my stop.

Wow!! That's pretty sneaky!!

Many, Many moons ago... when Cabbage Patch Kids were SO popular I was almost beaten to death tying to grab 2 for my then young girls... it was terrible! (Think is was an Ace Hardware - but it has been 20+ years and hard to remember.) Indecently, I DID not get them - but my THEN MIL scored where she lived and was the HIT of Christmas!

LOL! That was my worst experience too (the cabbage patch kids) but I was only about 12 when it happened. My mom and I went to Mervyns and she got into a pushing match because my mom needed 3 for all us girls. She ended up getting them but it was kind of traumatic watching grown women fighting over a toy. I told my husband if our kids ever insist on anything specific... it's all him. I'm not going to fight over a toy, but hubby said he has no problem with it, lol.

I will never step foot in Menards on BF. I went last year & that was enough for me. IMO they are worse then Walmart! That store is so disorganized for BF & then you have just a few areas to stand in line & you wait for ever & ever! I had a heck of a time finding the bargains cause the way they have things so scattered all over the place & with all the people. I don't care what great bargains they have this year, they can keep em!

For me it was Menards when they 1st opened here. They let everyone in at once then had no carts for merchandise, none of the staff knew where anything was and the checkout lines were so unorganized it took 4 hours to checkout. Never again!

I know the feeling, when I got into the store last year there were no carts left. Good luck trying to find someone to help you locate an item. If you do find someone for help, good luck getting that item your after.

I tried Toysrus 3 times on BF in the past 15 years. The first time was good. The second time was around 10 years and it is horrible. Very poor management. I gave it another chance last year at a different Toysrus store. It was still the same bad story. No one know where the line go. On sale items are not displayed properly but got hidden with other stuffs all over the store. I would never go back to any Toysrus store on BF.

My worst was Target three years ago, When the Store security put his hands on my then 10 year old and pulled her away from her sister who was behind me and 20 at the time, Accusing her at 10 of line cutting. Which they were not her had been in line for hours. Had all kinds of people getting nasty with security on her behalf. They were surprised when the local PD showed up because I was so annoyed with them that I called. I didn't buy the cart full of items and have not been back since, for anything.

Every year my worst is at Wal-Mart and every year I say I will never go there again.. and this year.. I mean it (I think :yup:) Last year when we were on line for an I-pod touch for my niece, there was a stampede of customers who were running over to where the not so bright employee was throwing items out to the crowd instead of having the line go over to where the items were. My daughter nearly got knocked to the ground.. and were weren't even there for that item.. we were on a specific line for an item that was behind the counter.. the I-pod Touch...

LOL!! That is not fair, but clever!!

Two years ago at Wal-Mart, when they pulled back the ropes, there was a fist fight for the laptops (they had only gotten in eight, which wasn't smart to start with in a college town), we were not after the laptops, but a cabbage patch doll for my daughter, which were right next to the laptops. As soon as they pulled back the ropes though, people dove for the laptops, which set off a fist fight (police were called in), one man punched another and sent him reeling into the cabbage patch dolls,which all went flying into the air. One happened to land in my husband's hands, so he took it and ran...turned out to have the same name as my daughter, it was like fate.

Two years ago at Wal-Mart, when they pulled back the ropes, there was a fist fight for the laptops (they had only gotten in eight, which wasn't smart to start with in a college town), we were not after the laptops, but a cabbage patch doll for my daughter, which were right next to the laptops. As soon as they pulled back the ropes though, people dove for the laptops, which set off a fist fight (police were called in), one man punched another and sent him reeling into the cabbage patch dolls,which all went flying into the air. One happened to land in my husband's hands, so he took it and ran...turned out to have the same name as my daughter, it was like fate.

:rotflol: OMG too funny!! "it was like fate." HAHAHA...

Without a doubt....... WALMART. They gave out tickets for the laptops, however of the 40 available, almost half the tickets (18 that I know of) were given to Walmart employees. Even the manager got in on the scamming and in addition to hers, she put another aside for her son to pick up. I have NEVER, and will NEVER go to Walmart for a ticketed item sale in the electronics department. i'd rather stand on line for 24hrs outside in the cold for a guarantee at Best Buy then to be scammed by employees getting half of the sale items before the customers even get the oppourtunity.

I have a tie-

1st Circuit City about 5 years ago. My girlfriend waited in line for over two hours and the sad part was that their were only about 10 people in line ahead of her. They always had rebate deals and after each item the register had to spit out about 4 or 5 forms even for stupid DVDs. It took forever!

2nd was last year at walmart in DE. This was at the new 24 hour one which had just opened, normally we were use to waiting outside in the cold at the other ones here. But they let you in, but they seperated the doorbuster items and you could only get in 1 line, so you had to choose what item was more important if you wanted more than 1. They also let people shop for other door buster items that didn't require a ticket all night long and put them in their cart, ie the coats, pj's track suites etc. so they were already gone well before 5 am. Normally if you got to the store by 5 you still had a good shot at getting all those other items.

No shocker about TRU. I worked there as a seasonal slave I mean seasonal help. They do NOT train the holiday staff and the regular employees do very little and hide out in the back and avoid the customers. They let the seasonal suckers fend for themselves and never answer the walkie talkies. I worked there one week total and quit.

Office Max. :mad:

Seriously I haven't been back there. Went to a little strip mall near us about 3 am after doing online purchases because I wanted a phone at radio shck and the Norton System Works for $20 at Office Max. Went and stood in line after someone else did about 5, stood there about 2 hours then someone just came and cut in front of me. No line monitoring at all. I asked an employee where the Norton's were when they stuck their head out once-- he told me. When the doors opened they weren't where he told me, and panicking I asked someone else who also directed me wrong and finally found them. Of course they were out becuase the store had only stocked 4. I was furious and have not been back there. Best experience is always Best Buy. Professionals. Got the Norton for $30 I believe that same day after a nap.

Best buy a few years ago. Sat in line for over 14 hours only to have people holding spaces for 10 people and Best buy didnt do anything and they got all the lap tops. Was totally ticked off , all of voiced our opinions to the manager after that incident the following year total different set up plus the people who went black friday shopping every year knew each other so anyone tried to hold spaces did not happen after that. One year we did call the cops and that guy had to go to the end of the line.

My worst was when I went to Gymboree on BF to pick up at least one coat for the Angel Tree. They had them for $14 or $15 with coupon. I was so excited to be able to get my angel tree child a quality winter coat for a great price.

I went to Gymboree when they opened and they only had two coats! (wrong size, 1 TOO BIG, 1 TOO SMALL) All the coats they had gotten had been put on hold by their customers on Wednesday. I was so frustrated! As I searched for a coat, (I was hoping someone put one back in the wrong place) I kept seeing customers come in and employees going in the back and bringing out these massive bags FILLED with clothes and coats. Ugh!

okay... I want to say about 6 or 7 years ago and it was my first black friday experience. Needless to say it was at Best Buy and my boyfriend and I (now husband) were not too far back in line, but far enough. SO we get in the door, with a cart and I am walkng along the side of him with my heart pumping hoping we would get a 32" tv for $198 (not a flat screen... lol). All of a sudden I am stumbling across soemthing, realzing I am going to fall... fell flat out with my arms wideapart and my purse flying across the floor! LOL My bf came over to me to help me up and I wanted to cry.. I was so embarressed. I wanted to go home, I felt everyone saw me... and he was like no they didnt. So I put my hood over my head and hid in the back of the store until he told me to go get in line and he would meet me there. Once we were outside, he couldnt stop laughing and in all actuality I couldnt stop either. To this day, it makes me laugh outloud when I think of it. I think of those crazy news clippings of Walmart people falling within the mob of people... well I was one of those fallers!!! I actually fell over an empty crate that whatever was there was already gone.

okay... I want to say about 6 or 7 years ago and it was my first black friday experience. Needless to say it was at Best Buy and my boyfriend and I (now husband) were not too far back in line, but far enough. SO we get in the door, with a cart and I am walkng along the side of him with my heart pumping hoping we would get a 32" tv for $198 (not a flat screen... lol). All of a sudden I am stumbling across soemthing, realzing I am going to fall... fell flat out with my arms wideapart and my purse flying across the floor! LOL My bf came over to me to help me up and I wanted to cry.. I was so embarressed. I wanted to go home, I felt everyone saw me... and he was like no they didnt. So I put my hood over my head and hid in the back of the store until he told me to go get in line and he would meet me there. Once we were outside, he couldnt stop laughing and in all actuality I couldnt stop either. To this day, it makes me laugh outloud when I think of it. I think of those crazy news clippings of Walmart people falling within the mob of people... well I was one of those fallers!!! I actually fell over an empty crate that whatever was there was already gone.

Exactly the reason I do not recommend kids going with the parents on BF. I have seen far too many times people fall and everyone is so interested in getting in the store they will walk around... OR OVER the fallen customers. I can't remember any time I actually saw someone pick them up, and if they tried they'd probably be knocked over as well.