What to do when your kids don't want anything for Christmas?

abentley

Ok, I realize it is only August, but they do know how I operate! LOL! They are 12 and 13 this year and know due to our crazy life I am a planner, and I get certain things done early! I so thought it would be IPADS if they asked for them or not. We joked around over the weekend about what they might want: a new corvette, trucks, ipads, girlfriends......NOTHING! No response other that the "Whatever" looks. I was planning on purchasing the ipads next weekend...Now I don't know what to do! Our nearest BestBuy suggested we purchase before September to make sure we did get them! HELP!

This last year was a "i dunno" year from DD. We ended up doing a family vacation as her "big" gift. I was torn as I didnt know how it would go over but she loved it. Is there maybe a non-material thing you could do? Lessons they always wanted, a trip they would enjoy, etc

I don't have kids, but I have this problem with my mom, it's always "I don't know!"

When I shop with her, she often window shops, even it the items are not expensive. She is the type that never buys anything for herself. So, I pay attention to the things she looks at and wants, and try to get them for her. It works out pretty well.

Or, since they're kids, instead of just asking them what they want, use a type of reverse psychology and ask what they would buy right now if they had X (insert budget here) amount of dollars. lol.

This works for me sometimes, if the people take it seriously. Good luck!

I think your Ipad idea is a good one. You know your kids and what they will like. Mine usually made good list but sometimes their favorites were things they did not ask for, but we knew they would enjoy. Now it's my mom and dad who are hard to buy for. They never want anything and I really don't know what they would like. Wish I could get Ipads for them.

Ipads???? Not sure about that unless they specifically ask for them, but hey you could always sell them if for some reason they absolutely dont want one and you order them.

The reason I say this is DS17 has one, he wanted it for his birthday ok he said birthday/christmas, lol. and while it is cool and all, he already has a laptop and a desktop so the ipad unless its hooked up to a 3G network isnt any different. It's basically a cool gadget, an expensive gadget too. If he is on the internet I can go in there and he is on his desktop, so the new of the cool gadget has already worn off in 3 months.

I am having the same problems with my 2. DD12 and DS14 (will be 15 4 days before Xmas). DD just had her birthday and could not tell me what she wanted. I ended up getting her a digital camera to replace one she got a few years ago after we came back from our vacation and she had problems with her old one.

Now I have asked what they want for Xmas and DS says only Halo Reach which comes out on 9/14. Other than that he says nothing.

What to do? I would not get them an Ipad even though it seems like a cool gadget. (Maybe in the future if the price ever comes down LOL Both kids already have laptops, ipod touchs.

If anyone can think of ideas keep posting I am paying attention.

Edited by racerfan
spelling

I will happily accept used Ipads as a Chanukamas gift ;)

Ipads???? Not sure about that unless they specifically ask for them, but hey you could always sell them if for some reason they absolutely dont want one and you order them.

The reason I say this is DS17 has one, he wanted it for his birthday ok he said birthday/christmas, lol. and while it is cool and all, he already has a laptop and a desktop so the ipad unless its hooked up to a 3G network isnt any different. It's basically a cool gadget, an expensive gadget too. If he is on the internet I can go in there and he is on his desktop, so the new of the cool gadget has already worn off in 3 months.

I will happily accept used Ipads as a Chanukamas gift ;)

LOL. That is funny.

He even asked a friend to put a movie on a cell phone for him, I said why you are set up to watch netflix from the ipad, he said I cant use it at school. WHAT?? SCHOOL?? I told him he better not be watching movies at school.

I think my parents usually went clothes/music/gift cards around that age for my brothers and I usually got some jewelry thrown in with candy for good measure. These days its all about itunes so maybe some giftcards for that. My brothers have always wanted some video game every year and movies too.

I feel for you!

DS 13 just says he wants "surprises" and DS11 makes a detailed and exhaustive list-I don't know which is worse lol.

My older sons always appreciated FOOD so I made up boxes of their favorite goodies that they didn't get often and threw in some Subway,etc. gift cards.

Maybe your kids wil be more helpful as it gets closer to Christmas :)

I am starting to get nervous!!LOL! The boys got desktops last year. I can't see going the netbook or laptop route due to the fact that they have awesome 27" monitors and loft beds in their room. They got a 32" lcd tv when we redecorated their room last year. We have the ipods/mp3 players/cameras/xbox 360/wii/psps/dsi/ps3........I will get the "new" games out for the season. We have a huge trip planned in October. I am thinking I might be in a pickle!!

I am starting to get nervous!!LOL! The boys got desktops last year. I can't see going the netbook or laptop route due to the fact that they have awesome 27" monitors and loft beds in their room. They got a 32" lcd tv when we redecorated their room last year. We have the ipods/mp3 players/cameras/xbox 360/wii/psps/dsi/ps3........I will get the "new" games out for the season. We have a huge trip planned in October. I am thinking I might be in a pickle!!

Ok I take it back. It doesn't sound like your in a pickle, sounds like your rich so...iPads it is!!! ;)

Thankfully DD10 is all girl and she has new clothes and shoes at the top of her list and if the 3d ds isnt out by Christmas for Santa to bring her then she plans on asking for a laptop and that is the end of her list.. Hopefully she will ad a few ds or wii games

I am stuck on what to get my kids this year, too. They say they are not sure what they want, and I have no idea. Maybe gift cards and money for the older ones, but that's no fun. However, we will be shopping for the first grand baby this year. She is due Dec. 31 and I want to make sure she is not here without Christmas presents, lol, so, that will help dome.

DD10 rarely asks for anything for Christmas. I usually scour Amazon, Toys'R'Us, this website, her favorite clothing store etc. to come up with things that I think she'd like. It is hard, but I end up buying lots of things. I think I would buy less if she'd just make a list! :)

I agree with others not to get the IPad, given what they already have. It's just an extra (and overly expensive) gadget that does all the same things their current gadgets do, so it will probably be money wasted.

My kids each get a "Big" ticket item each year for christmas. If your kids have all of the obvious... Then iPads is the way to go. My son who will be 16 by christmas wants a laptop. Will wait closer to christmas for some better deals.

My daughter wants a tv in her room. Again I will wait closer to christmas. I'm thinking a 32" for her room.

After that, its games, clothes, etc.

Gporter34

I am stuck on what to get my kids this year, too. They say they are not sure what they want, and I have no idea. Maybe gift cards and money for the older ones, but that's no fun. However, we will be shopping for the first grand baby this year. She is due Dec. 31 and I want to make sure she is not here without Christmas presents, lol, so, that will help dome.

I had to laugh when I read you were shopping for your first grandbaby this year...10 years ago, my first grandbaby was due early Feb., the Christmas before there were presents under the tree with her name on them...probably more for her than anyone else and she wasn't even born. I picked up her coming home outfit, blanket to match, and lots of other needed and some not so needed items. Congrats on the new grandbaby!

I don't know....I've got the same problem. DS12 does want the new Nintendo 3DS. Unfortanately, that is not due to be released until March (Gamestop manager told me today that the exact date will be announced September 28th, but will definately not be out this year). I was actually thinking about the IPAD for him too. DS12 has a PS3, Wii, DS, DSI, XBox 360,PSP, laptop, and 32" flatscreen tv for his room, so I am looking for ideas too. Comeon guys, keep em coming....

I've got a 14 year old son that is doing the - "Just give me Cash" thing... hmmm.... 14 and cash... NOT... will come up with something - but something I can monitor! ;)

What about gift certificates/cards? Everyone offers those now so food, movies, his favorite stores, etc. That way you know what he'll be using them for but he won't have to hit you up all year for cash! And he can get the ipad with his gc if he truly wants it.

OK! I have decided to go ahead an get 2 ipads next weekend. I have a couple of other small gift ideas that have come up like new xbox controllers and such. Oh and pants since my BABY decided to grow tall FAST! It is official, HE IS TALLER THAN ME! I am hight deprived at 5'7". Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Season Pass to Amusement Park, Water Park, Zoo, Community Center, etc. ????

Special trip- Disney, Cruise, Vacation???

Buy stock/bonds, put money in savings account, start a car fund???

Redecorate bedroom???

Make them a scrapbook- might not mean much to them now, but it will in years to come!!!

Just a few ideas! Good Luck! :)