First Time Black Friday Line Camper Advice Needed

stationchief

Well, this might be the year I finally do it. :D I've waited in lines for a few hours on BF years ago, but this year might be the time I finally go all crazy and camp out in front of a store. My new job that starts up next month is finally gonna allow me to save up enough cash in time for some major purchases on BF, and since it's a re-hire I've already got paid personal time off accurred for a day or two before/after thanksgiving. Dependin' on what happens in the upcommin' ads I'm still debatin' whether it'd be worth the whole line waitin'/campin' thing on BF, but I think I'm inching closer to actually doin' it. I've got some major needs this year which include, but not limited to, a new good spec laptop, an HDTV, possibly an iPod, and maybe some computer parts among other things.

The problem is, as of right now, my supplies list total = 0. :( I'd have to buy the whole complete set (tent, mini generator, etc.). I might go ahead and do that, that way I'd have the campin' supplies for a real campin' trip to the mountains later. :D

For those of y'all campin' out in line this BF, or have done so in the past, what's on your checklist of supplies? Any advice ya can give to a first timer? What to do's/don'ts?

Some things I came up with:

• Tent - Kinda goes without saying. Just a small one.
  • Sleeping bag - To catch some zzz's.
  • Food/water - Plenty of non-cooking food and plenty of drinks.
  • Ice chest - For the water, and as a makeshift refrigerator.
  • TV or mini DVD player - Gotta entertain myself.
  • PC - Another means of entertainment, and hopefully store might offer wifi.
  • Dunno what some places will let me do as far as providing power to all these devices, like an extension chord. But, if need be, perhaps a mini power generator.

Bigjim, what kind of generator do ya use? Do the stores ya camp out at allow ya to run an extension chord from their outlets to your tent or do ya have to come up with another means?

And that port-a-potty seemed a lil' extreme, however now that I think about it it's more of a necessity. :yup: Ya don't think about these things until it's too late.

I use a gas generator. I put it where the grassy medians are in the parking lot and run a extention cord. Most stores are not that nice and wont let you use their power. Most stores dont hve any outlets outside and if they do they can say you are stealing power.

You have to remember I camp out for days on end where most people camp 24-30 hours. I am out there for 3-5 days.

Bigjim, what kind of generator do ya use? Do the stores ya camp out at allow ya to run an extension chord from their outlets to your tent or do ya have to come up with another means?

And that port-a-potty seemed a lil' extreme, however now that I think about it it's more of a necessity. :yup: Ya don't think about these things until it's too late.

Hope this is helpful.

My Setup is as follows: (keep in mind that I have been doing this since 1992, and we add 1 thing to our arsenal every year… you will probably not want to get all of this at once)

A. 2 tents (1 large and 1 small) – Put the smaller inside the larger... sleep inside the smaller one, put your supplies and catalytic heater inside the larger one. Then you don’t have to worry about stuff disappearing

B. 2 heaters – one tent safe catalytic heater (the larger the better, get one with a fan) and a propane or kerosene heater (we use a patio heater, but in the beginning we has one of those deals that sits on top of your propane tank) for when you are outside. You will also want some extra fuel

C. Fold out chairs – 1 per person

D. 1 or 2 small tables to set your drinks on, etc.

E. Plenty of food and drinks

F. A buddy to hold your spot when you have to go to the bathroom

G. Having someone to bring you hot meals is great, if there is no one to do that bring a grill and some food in a cooler. Chips and soda get pretty old after 3 or 4 or 6 days

H. Have a plan to go to the bathroom. We bring our RV. In the past we have used Wal-Mart or the waffle house… do some research and find out what is open

I. Bring something to keep you occupied. A book, movies, games, etc. There is a lot of time spent sitting.

J. 2 blankets per person… one goes under you and one goes on top of you. If you only bring 1 your butt and the back of your legs gets pretty cold. The one on top helps to diffuse the heat from the heater so your pants don’t get super hot, it also helps to cover your head when you get tired of the 1026th person wants to talk to you about how crazy you are

K. If you have stuff to plug in a generator is useful. We no longer bring ours, though. More trouble than it was worth.

L. A list to keep track of who is in what position. Saved our butts 1 year when we got a lot of line jumpers right when they were starting to hand out the tickets. Also helps to keep everyone honest. If you are the first one there people really look to you for leadership (even if you do not know what you are doing).

M. Dress in layers, bring a change of clothes just in case.

N. Extra copies of the ads always seems to be useful.

O. How you tear down is pretty important, too. Do not take anything down until you get your tickets. If you do everyone follows suit and there is a big jumbled line for no reason. I have the largest setup I know, and my wife and I get it down in 1 hour just fine.

P. Keep your heater until the last possible moment. It gets really cold really fast. I normally set mine inside the door when they open it up and pick it up on the way out. You may want to clear this with the manager, though. One year I had to leave it outside, but it was still there when I finished shopping.

Q. Get in the checkout line early. Have your partner grab one thing and get about 20 people back in line. By the time you finish the rest of your shopping, they should be close. Give everything to them, go get your heater, then head to your car and make sure everything is packed up and ready for your pile of goodies.

Where in the world is everyone shopping that you have to wait days to get into a store?! What city? What stores? The longest I have had to wait is 3 hours! Of course, I have always been in small towns. This year, I am still in a small town, but I am VERY close to Atlanta...I could give it a try if I was feeling brave enough. lol

The longest I've camped out was 12 hours, and this was during the cold at major shopping centers in large metro areas. (I am shocked at the days on end camping!) The only thing we do is bring a couple of chairs, dress in layers, and bring a little entertainment. Not much to it, really. We don't even bring food. One of us leaves whenever we are hungry and runs to the store to get something hot. I doubt you need all the extra stuff unless camping out for days.

• 2 weeks later...
I live in the northernmost city in New York state and I've waited for 12 hours in a blizzard before and I've never brought an arsenal like that with me. I've been to big cities and small towns on BF and I've never seen a single tent or RV. I can't imagine anyone allowing someone to block up the parking lot like that for 3-6 days either. And to think that people think I'm a crazy BF'er. I'm usually the first in line and I've been known to scale counters and literally run out of my shoe and keep going to get an item. I'd never use a portapotty for 6 days...EVER. You guys are dedicated, I'll give you that. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the northernmost city in New York state and I've waited for 12 hours in a blizzard before and I've never brought an arsenal like that with me. I've been to big cities and small towns on BF and I've never seen a single tent or RV. I can't imagine anyone allowing someone to block up the parking lot like that for 3-6 days either. And to think that people think I'm a crazy BF'er. I'm usually the first in line and I've been known to scale counters and literally run out of my shoe and keep going to get an item. I'd never use a portapotty for 6 days...EVER. You guys are dedicated, I'll give you that. ;)

OK, so you are definitely the hard-core shopper. What do you wear to brave the elements???:eek:

15+ hour camp out... west michigan... on the lake

1) a snow suit (hey I am in michigan... never fails to be 15 deg. and a nice negative wind chill across the lake)

2) a friend or two.

3) we just brought us a pop up potty tent (protection from the snow and wind)

4) A sunny disposition and a SMILE!!!! realize, that everyone else in line is as crazy as you and those in the FRONT (ahead of you) are even more insane.

5) a loving family member or friend (maybe a line buddy) to bring food and HOT drinks at regular intervals. (made friends in line a few years ago who had a liking for whiskey... we were all warm and toasted.. deals didn't matter much after that!! lol)

I was wondering what you guys here on the thread had to say about this, I am wondering what you think would be best for me (20) and my friend (23). We probably will be camping out outside of sears from maybe 6 pm on thursday and we are in kansas were it get pretty cold outside. Im am just wanting to know what you guys think would be the best gear. Thanks :eyepoppin:eyepoppin

I was wondering what you guys here on the thread had to say about this, I am wondering what you think would be best for me (20) and my friend (23). We probably will be camping out outside of sears from maybe 6 pm on thursday and we are in kansas were it get pretty cold outside. Im am just wanting to know what you guys think would be the best gear. Thanks :eyepoppin:eyepoppin

why do you feel the need to camp at sears???? you will be able to get everything you want there by lineing up an hour before open.........better yet try going on wendsday, they usually have their stuff out then.

What do you think Sears will have on sale that you would need to be out there the day before?

Here getting in line very early Friday morning would be enough to be in the beginning of the line at Sears.

I got in a line before midnight last year Thursday night and just had lot of warm clothes on, blankets, a pillow & bag chairs.

I haven't ever camped either, and since the town that I go to isn't that big I don't really think that I need to either, I just wait in line for 3 or 4 hours. I have read all of the post about camping and wow some of you have put a lot of time into this camping out thing. How do you have room for all your shopping items after you put all the camping things away :D

I haven't ever camped either, and since the town that I go to isn't that big I don't really think that I need to either, I just wait in line for 3 or 4 hours. I have read all of the post about camping and wow some of you have put a lot of time into this camping out thing. How do you have room for all your shopping items after you put all the camping things away :D

You have a point about the space issue!! I had so much camping gear for being outside Walmart for 10 hours of cold weather that I BARELY had room for my shopping purchaes. I have a Jeep Liberty & couldnt see out my REAR WINDOW. :o I want to tone the camping gear down a little but that woul dbe less fun ;)

Well for me its either them or walmart for tv purchases in my town and my dad works for sears so there is a added discount which is nice :)

i think what everyone is trying to say, is that sears is a fine if you want to make that your first stop, but you will not need to camp overnight there unless things in your area are extreamly different than other areas........best buy and large box electronic stores are usually the ones you need to camp at.......i have gotten in line at sears at 4:30 for a 5am opening and been line 6th in line.

Who needs a generator when you have a 280 amp alternator, a dc inverter, and multiple dry cell large (80lb) car batteries (isolated from main car). :yup:

x2;

◦20 hour rate: 5.25A/105Ah

◦5 hour rate: 17.8A/89Ah

◦1/2 hour rate:130A/65Ah

◦5 Second Cranking Amps: 2150A

◦CCA: 1050A

◦Watts: 4300

◦Peak Discharge: 5000+ A

Gives me enough juice to run my laptop for 2-3days easy (that can be much more considering your not running the later the entire time since the laptop has its own battery). Then if I soo choose, I can run my vehicle with its 280amp alternator for a recharge. I run a extension from my vehicle and just chill. Contemplating a heater this year. Im in florida so its only cold at night during Black Friday.

Edited by Klownicle

Well for me its either them or walmart for tv purchases in my town and my dad works for sears so there is a added discount which is nice :)

Regarding the question about whether it is worthwhile to camp out at Sears, you should also consider the possibility of a price adjustment. That is, you buy the merchandise shortly before Black Friday (say Wednesday before Thanksgiving, or maybe earlier), then you return to the store anytime during the BF doorbuster hours and they give you a refund of the difference between what you paid and the doorbuster price. I did this a couple of years ago at a Sears and got my Sony BluRay player--the only one the small Sears had, on the day before Thanksgiving. I then returned on BF after hitting other stores to get the price adjustment and pick up some other minor doorbusters. Especially, since your dad works at Sears, he should be able to confirm all the details for you with the Manager (his boss). If you put the purchase on a credit card, you will probably get the adjustment applied to the account before you actually pay, so you won't actually fork over the full price, just check the monthly closing date for your card if that is an issue.