How many years have you been Black Friday-ing it?

ChristmasShopping

Compared to many of you, I'm just a newbie at this - been doing it probably since 2005, give or take a year depending on where I'm spending the Thanksgiving holiday. I used to think my brothers were crazy for camping out in front of Best Buy... Now I put them to shame!

Wow, I didnt realise just how long I have been going til now! For my (nutty) family, this tradition has been around for as long as I can recall. The first Black Friday that I have vivid memories of was 1979!!! I was abut 7 at the time, but my family was dead serious about BF shopping already. I believe BF shopping was much more common on the east coast at the time. We would travel to a different city each year, Atlanta, Cincinnati etc. This was "back in the day" when all stores gave out great freebies! JCP always had stuffed animals, Macys was awesome with freebies. My most memorable BFs were my first one (CPK), and probably the Furby year (almost got arrested for hitting a walmart manager/ very heated fight, it made the news!), OMG the Elmo year was fun too! Unfortunately in the past few years my family has moved apart and we do not do the shopping together like we use to. My kids (16,17) enjoy this same crazy tradition though!

Oh wait, one of my fav years has to be Photo Year!! About 5 years ago I didnt really have the $ to shop, I took my son and neice and we "Photographed Black Friday" instead. It was AWESOME!! People in line had a blast, we drove from store to store, person to person and line to line... incredible pics!!

I started BF Shopping in 2004. I saw at TV in the WalMart ad I wanted. The mayhem, the pushing, shoving and all was a rush to me!

I have been going ever since. Sans 2007, I had to work that day. But otherwise I haven't missed it. This year I requested the day off of work....

2002. I never knew about the day and I just happened to pick up a newspaper randomly on thanksgiving and all these ads fell out and then BAM, i was hooked. Black Friday was so much better back then. I could get inline half an hr before it opened and be 7th in line.

This will be my 4th year. I remember my mom going out to Mervyn's every year to wait in line to get me the stuffed penguin they gave away every year and Wal-Mart to get the $5 door busters when I was a teen. I thought she was crazy to get up so early to go shopping. But now I wish I had gone with her. I however just don't go to sleep Thanksgiving night, we go to get in line at Toys R Us around 10 pm. My first 2 years were learning years but now my BFF and I have it down. I converted her 2 years ago, this will be her 3rd year. I cannot wait for BF this year!

• 2 weeks later...

2006 - Went to BB, the year I got the HDTV for almost nothing as they doubled the refund by accident.

2007 - Japanese gf at the time went with me and she hated it. I got up early and don't recall what I got but I do recall taking her out when she got up around 10am and took her to Target and she thought the prices were too low and was unsure of buying anything. She ended up getting a few DVDs for $3 and a hair iron for $10. She complained about the frantic behavior and rudeness of people as well. She also found it odd people would get up that early for something materialistic.

*Now that I live in Japan I do see culturally why she thought this way *

2008 - went with friends to Circuit City. Got a GPS I needed for cheap. Was happy.

2009 - Did not stand in line. rolled on out of bed around 9am got a digital camera I wanted from BB, went back home and slept.

2010 - Will live vicariously through others on here..... :)

I did Black Friday once when my oldest was about 2 yrs old. But we didn't stand in line...we started early at like 7am. Then I didn't BF for a long time. I've been going every year for the last 4 yrs. Watching ads, looking for prices, looking a coupons and mapping out where I want to go and seeing if I can get a better deal somewhere else. Every year I think I get better and better at it. My husband thinks I'm crazy but he just lets me do my thing.