Taking a Black Friday first timer this year.... Am I crazy?

ChristmasShopping

Girl you are nuts sending him to that TOYSRUS on BF, you want to scare him from venturing out on BF again? LOL!. Yeah we made the mistake of going there a few years go. Yeah right ... the check out line wrapped around the whole inside of the store in a matter of minutes.

I have told this story in the past but, I will re-post it here. For the most part, I am a happy go lucky, c'est la vie kinda person. The exception is on BF. I am a Drill Sargeant.

One year, my friend who was a BF newbie wanted to meet me at Target. My friend was notoriously late to everything. I told her: "I will be at Target at this time. If you are late, I will not wait for you I will move on to the next store." Of course BF came and I was at Target and my friend wasn't. I shopped and moved on. She called me an hour after our agreed meeting time. She told me she was at Target where was I. I told her she was late, I had shopped and moved on. Drill Sargeant!!

I really think you should tell them to read these forums. It will give them a good idea of what is going on. Oh and if you guys are in NE Ohio and she a brunette woman shouting orders like a Drill Sargeant on BF..well that's me :yup:!

My DH has never gone out on BF. He has watched the kids, and likes me to save money, but he would think I was torturing him if I even asked him to go. Tell your DH I think its great he's heading out. TRU is a madhouse, and the lines can be long. I agree no cart or if a cart is needed have a buddy who can get in line while he runs to get stuff. It was our first stop last year. We had one in line, 2 getting stuff and it still took an hour to get in and out.(not counting the 2 hours in line outside)

Yeah my husband just laughs at me when I asked if he wanted to go..lol. But that's okay, he stays home and babysits...

I have never been to TRU when it first opened. There is not one here and we have to drive 1 1/2 hours to go to one. So we usually hit our local Wal-mart store first (which is only store we have) and then head to Target, then TRU. It is still crowded when we get there but I'm sure it is not as bad as first thing.

Definitely see if he can get someone to go so they can watch the buggy though. Me and my best friend always go together. We have kids around the same age so alot of stuff that we get the other is getting too. We take turns watching the buggy and then if I grab something for me I also grab one for her and she does the same.

someone to go with to help him grab a couple things then get in the checkout line & hold his place in line, and if there's something big / popular that you want him to get I'd plan on getting in line around midnight, and a cart is a really bad idea at tru

If they open at midnight this year like they did last year, I would suggest being there around 9 pm at least.

Early Early Early. Go the night before Thanksgiving and see if you can scope out the store for the items he will need to get. Make a list and if possible do not use a cart unless you have someone else with you.

Most of the doorbusters will be in the center aisles running thru the whole store. And things that are usually on one side of the store can now be on the other side because of this. They also do not set these up until after the store closes on Wed, so scoping out where they will be is not possible unless you are getting things that are not doorbusters. I agree with taking someone with him. Even a teenager that can stand in line while he fills the cart, otherwise he will be there forever and may never do it again.

So glad you posted! I am taking my daughter for the first time this year. In years past, she's watched our small group print copies of ads, map out the layout, the order in which everyone should shop and checked out walkie talkie/cell phone batteries. Last year she went with me to the Thanksgiving day sale, which i use as a warm up for BF, and she did really well, diving in and getting the last item in the bin. This year she said she's ready to move up from being the babysitter to being one of the shoppers! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time! Wish us luck!

• 1 month later...

I actually talked to both of them this weekend (still trying to talk them out of it). And both of them said "how bad can it be? it is just shopping.. just early in the morning" LOL!! Ok.. maybe I need to start a thread on the worse things you have seen on BF and make them read it..

Its always fun to take a first timer... buy them a helmet, take them to walmart/toys r us, DEMAND that they get item xxxx (make it a hot item too like elmo/furby hot), tell them "lets see if you make it out alive" when you shove them into the fray, laugh when they come out of that a little shellshocked, and remind them that you do this every year and LOVE it.

NOW they can do anything!!

I would LOVE to see a bf boot camp! "DON'T LOOK AT IT THROW IT IN THE CART! GO GO GO! YOU NEED THAT TOASTER, NOW GET IT" viral video... awesome concept. seriously awesome.

I love the idea of taking my DD, 10, thanksgiving morning, as a bf warmup! She wants to go with me this year, but I think it might be a BB year, and I don't want her out that long. She has seen the videos, and it doesn't get that bad around here, but enough to make me nervous about taking her, so maybe thanksgiving shopping! Kmart, walmart and meijer... seems like a good compromise! And I think I will make her a shirt, with my cell # on it, just in case.

Thanks again GD'ers for the great ideas your amazing!

If they like to shop, you'll be fine. My husband thought I was crazy for getting up in the middle of the night to stand out in the cold to buy stuff for Christmas. He really was not interested in how much I spent or saved. Then he 'volunteered' to meet me at a store to help me pick-up a large flat screen TV four years ago, now every year he says "where are WE going" LOL!

Along with the general shopping tips - make sure to prep them on wearing sneakers, light layers (not fun carrying bulky coats) keeping snacks/drinks in the car and bringing your own tote/shopping bags. Also - don't drink too close before opening as no one wants to waste time in the potty that day :)

Hmm...I don't know maybe you shouldn't assume they'll be a burden..they might surprise you! I know I surprised my friends the first time I went two years ago, they said I did very well for someone going for their first time AND still in their first trimester of pregnancy. ;)

I still remember my first BF many years ago. I went alone ( none of friends/coworkers/family members) are into BF or shopping.

For 1st timer:

1. Know what item you want from the ad

2. Familairize yourself with the store ( 1 week before and go again the day before just so you know they haven't move the section or dept ). It happen one time to me. And, park close to the door at where you would get the item.

3. Get headache medicine. You would needed after 3 stores ( or right after you hit Wally World) Or right after ToysRUs.

4. Packing a light purse. If you can , bring cash . Avoid checks.. That takes forever.

5. Know yours size: Clothing / Shoes / TVs. ( before hand measure your body / feet because each designer's size is different). Buy furniture or large electronic? Know how big is your room size.

6. Bring Snacks ! You will get hungry after fighting with the crowd.

7. Wear clothing in layers ... Early in morning it would be cold and as you get hot , you can shed the layers.

8. If you have a option to buy something already wrapped ( the store probably would show an opened example of item) get it so you can save time later for wrapping gift.

9. Wear comfortable shoes but MUST be close heel .. Why ? You don't want to trip when someone behind you is WAY too eager to grab the item and step on your shoe and you try to move. It will trip you.

10... In regarding to the cashier? This apply to department stores. you can cross over to the other department to get the cashier ring up your purchase. Just because you bought toys doesn't mean you can't walk across asle to the houseware and get the cashier to ring you up there.

11. Avoid drink way too much liquid before you leave your house( someone mentioned this before ). You wil end up spenting time in a crowded bathroom.

Hm... That is what I can think from my own experience. I hope that help you. :)

I often feel like I'm the local "Black Friday Trainer" as my group gets larger each year and I teach the ropes to new people. It's not at all crazy to bring first-timers with you, remeber there was a time YOU were doing for the first time as well. A few simple rules I would warn them 1) BF is NOT a day to drag the kids with them, get a babysitter. It irritates the crap out of me seeing adults with babies trying to run around the stores and they are only going to get hurt. 2) know what you want, get in, get the item, get on line, get out. 3) if you are planning to stay on a line outside all night warn them to expect the temperatures. It's not too bad standing out in 50 degree weather for an hour or 2, but when you do it all night and as you get tired your body wants to slow down and you will get colder. Be prepared for the worst and have spare blankets, coffee, heaters, etc. 4) keep in touch and have everyone's cell phone numbers. Another advantage to going in a group is if more than 1 person wants the same item have 1 member of the party pickup a second and have 1 stand in the line, etc. What started out years ago as me going by myself has grown to about 10 of us working together sometimes even in different stores. I often have at least 1 newbie with me each year and it has worked out great as long as they know you will not put up with them slowing you down.