Chirstmas Dinner Help

DramaQueenLucy

This year I am having more company then I normally do....so I want to do more then normal for dinner and have appetizers when normally I only have a few but I need to please kids and adults . The only thing I know for sure is that I am making a rib roast....so what do I make with it? Kid & adult friendly appetizers?

I just made the YUMMIEST jalapeno popper dip. You can spice it up to your desires.

6 fresh jalapenos

2 cloves garlic

1/2 medium onion

2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened

1 cup mayonnaise

8 oz cheddar cheese

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Mix the peppers, onion, and garlic in the food processor. Add in salt, pepper, mayo, and cream cheese. Blend until mixed. Spoon into oven-safe dish and stir in cheddar cheese. Bake at 300 for 18-20 minutes. Serve with crackers. *You could add chopped cooked bacon or bacon bits to this also.

This is a variation of my poppers. I use the mixture (with no mayo) and roll into small balls. Partially freeze. Roll each ball in flour, then an egg/milk mixture, and then in saltine crumbs. Repeat once for each ball. Deep fry.

You must fry them when they are VERY cold and just for a few seconds.

This is my "go to" appetizer for a crowd.

Individual Mozzarella Caprese

Mini fresh mozzarella balls (Sam's sells this in the 1 lb. container)

Grape Tomatoes

Fresh basil leaves

Toothpicks

Balsamic Reduction for Mozzarella Caprese (recipe follows)

On each toothpick, thread a grape tomato, a basil leaf, a mozzarella ball, another basil leaf and another grape tomato. Put these on a platter around a bowl of the Balsamic Reduction for dipping or put the reduction in to a squeeze bottle to be drizzled over each skewer.

You can also julienne up some prosciutto and thread one strip on each toothpick around the other ingredients.

Balsamic Reduction for Mozzarella Caprese

1 bottle balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

Take the bottle of balsamic vinegar (it doesn't have to be the most expensive either) and pour it into a saucepan with about 1/2 cup of sugar. Heat, stirring constantly (he uses the back of a slotted spoon) for about 20-25 minutes until the sauce reduces to about half and coats the spoon. Don't allow to boil as the sugar will burn. You'll know when it's the right consistency when you take a little dab (about the size of a pearl) and put it on a chilled plate, and it holds it's shape pretty well. Cool and store in a covered container.

For a side dish, tradition holds you serve a Yorkshire Pudding with a standing rib roast.

It's a mighty fine tradition, at that.

Yorkshire Pudding

(Diane/SSSoapwrks)

1 cup flour

1 cup milk

3 eggs

salt and pepper

Combine all well early in the day (this is a VERY traditional way to prepare it and I do exactly this.. it sits on the counter in the cool weather) and give a stir on occasion.

Pull roast out of the oven and set aside loosely covered in foil to rest while Yorkshire is baking. Turn oven up to 425 degrees.

Add some of the drippings to the casserole/baking pan (I also spray my pan with Pam before adding the drippings), putting it in the oven to heat up. When the oven beeps that the temperature has risen, carefully pour the Yorkshire batter into that hot pan and bake for @15 minutes at 425 degrees, then turn the temperature down to 350degrees and finish baking until it's puffed, browned and looks and smells like heaven (@15-25 minutes more.)

Meanwhile cut roast, make gravy, finish meal prep and call everyone to the table. When they are seated open the oven, taking out the Yorkshire and listen for the drooling and oohs and aahs before it collapses.... Set it on a trivet and cut that puppy up and serve it with gravy, if desired.

Notes: I always double the recipe (using only 5 eggs) and it does wonderfully in the 12-inch cast iron skillet.

i dont remember the name of this it is a greek dish

i think it is like spankopita something like that

take fillio dough put 2-3 pieces on a buttered pan

sprinkle with chopped spinach and feta top with another 1-2 pieces of dough roll like a burrito

wet the edges to seal and bake for 10-15 minutes

i think it is like spankopita something like that

i have dough left over so i am going to do some with cream cheese and different jams and do some with other cheese and meats

if this was me i would buy several types of prepared appetizers at a warehouse club and fix those along with a relish tray, cheese tray, bread tray and a couple of homemade dips, i do all the "from scratch" type cooking on Thanksgiving, and feel like Christmas should be enjoyed and spent cooking!

This is what i do for appys at my house for christmas dinner

1. Harry & David Dip w/ chips (1 jar of Harry and David Onion and Pepper Relish with 2 8oz blocks of Cream cheese, whipped together and let mellow in the frig for a few hours)

2. Shrimp and cocktail sauce (I buy the tray already done and just jazz up the sauce with a little more horseradish.)

3. Veggie Tray (again, bought from deli)

For dinner, I have the following

1. Crown Rib Roast

2. Honey-baked Ham

3. Green Bean Casserole

4. Sweet Potatoes

5. Corn

6. Broccoli and Cheese

7. Pineapple and Cheese Bake

8. Potato Casserole (brother brings)

9. Salad (nephew brings)

10. Rolls

Desserts are at my moms condo where Santa has come and filled stockings there too!

Usually she has Cheesecake, Fudge Pie, assorted cookies and candies, etc.

There are over 25 of us, so its a pretty big bunch and we started with it being a progressive dinner, but its gotten down to just me and momma doing it, which is fine by me.

A yummy non-traditional mashed potato recipe is to mash your potatoes with cream cheese, milk, butter, and a little bit of garlic salt. Tastes just like Applebees but with real potatoes.

Sweet Potato Casserole (bear with me, I'm a throw it all in chef)

3 lbs sweet potatoes

milk

1/2 stick butter (melted)

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 1 hour or until cooked through. Remove from skins. Hand mash with the rest of the ingredients, spread into 8x8 baking dish.

Topping:

3/4 stick butter or margarine, softened

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup pecans

1/2 cup coconut

Stir together brown sugar and flour. Cut in margarine. Stir in flour and pecans. Sprinkle over sweet potato mix. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until topping is brown.

Crockpot Corn

2 bags frozen corn

1 brick cream cheese

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

Throw it all in crockpot and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally

you could do twice baked potatoes. That's something you could do in advance and then just reheat. And how could you not make green bean casserole?

You could roast squash, zucchini and eggplant. Super easy. I just cut the veggies into chunks, coat in olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning spice. Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes.

I just made the YUMMIEST jalapeno popper dip. You can spice it up to your desires.

6 fresh jalapenos

2 cloves garlic

1/2 medium onion

2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened

1 cup mayonnaise

8 oz cheddar cheese

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Mix the peppers, onion, and garlic in the food processor. Add in salt, pepper, mayo, and cream cheese. Blend until mixed. Spoon into oven-safe dish and stir in cheddar cheese. Bake at 300 for 18-20 minutes. Serve with crackers. *You could add chopped cooked bacon or bacon bits to this also.

This is a variation of my poppers. I use the mixture (with no mayo) and roll into small balls. Partially freeze. Roll each ball in flour, then an egg/milk mixture, and then in saltine crumbs. Repeat once for each ball. Deep fry.

You must fry them when they are VERY cold and just for a few seconds.

I wish I had this recipe a couple months ago when my parents' garden was OVERFLOWING with jalepenos! Thanks so much for posting it!!:)

One question: have you ever tried freezing your poppers after coating them and frying them straight from frozen at a later date? Would they still get hot enough in the middle by the time the outside is golden? (BTW, what's the approx diameter of the poppers?) I'd love to make some of these with next year's crop and cook them up for holiday snacking!;)

Thanks again!!

You're welcome! You can freeze the jalapenos whole and they thaw on the counter in 10 minutes or so. That's how I keep mine year round. You can also used canned ones if you like.

I have frozen them like that- you might want to let them sit out for a few minutes or so- and all you need is cream cheese to melt, so it works fine- if they aren't done in the middle, you can microwave them for 5-10 seconds.

I try to start with 3/4 inch balls, but by the time you're done making them, you'll get lazier and they will get larger. Just remember that they double in size when you're done rolling them, so they get pretty big if you don't keep it small.

Oh, and speaking of crockpots, I have the easiest and (IMO) yummiest mac n cheese recipe-- don't know who came up with this, but it's been a blessing when I need a homemade side dish and don't want the mess/hassle/etc. of traditional homemade dishes! Enjoy!!:)

Super-Easy Mac n Cheese (Crockpot)

1 crockpot liner (optional, but see my note below)

1 box (8 oz.) elbow macaroni, uncooked

1 container (16 oz.) cottage cheese

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine

2 cups shredded cheese, any variety (I like all cheddar or cheddar/jack combo)

2 cups boiling water

Put liner inside crockpot (not required, but makes cleanup TONS easier!). Pour in all other ingredients, in the order they are listed. No need to mix (honest- I never mix it and it's still perfect every time!). Put lid on crockpot, and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours (do NOT remove lid during cooking time). Stir and serve!