Warning: Virus while looking for BF ads (not on GD)

jerseygurl

Just wanted to let everyone know - while surfing for Black Friday ads be very careful. I was looking for a certain ad yesterday and came across a "scanned ad" link. I clicked on the link and got a very nasty virus. It took my IT guy close to 3 hours to get rid of it. I have a very good virus protection but this one got by. My IT guy said he had seen the same virus on 3 other computer yesterday.

Don't understand why people do this, just becareful everyone. I was lucky to have someone who could help me get rid of it.

I had a similar experience a few months ago when searching for a toy my son wanted... often the viruses "get in" when you click on the fake "virus alert" pop-up box that appears. Should you get one of those, the best thing to do is CTRL-ALT-DEL, go the task manager, and shut down your web browser from there. Reopen your browser and choose "go to home page" NOT "restore last session" and you may be able to avoid getting another one of those viruses.

thanks for the warning!

This is why everyone needs to stay here at GD. Brad and the other mods here work very hard to give you the most up to date info and the upper hand in your BF shopping.

It is very easy to set up a site and set a trap like a virus. I can set one up in 10 minutes. So everyone lets stay here and soon we will have the WM ad.

thanks for the warning!

This is why everyone needs to stay here at GD. Brad and the other mods here work very hard to give you the most up to date info and the upper hand in your BF shopping.

It is very easy to set up a site and set a trap like a virus. I can set one up in 10 minutes. So everyone lets stay here and soon we will have the WM ad.

Oh I have learned my lesson, you want see me surfing around anymore. I have been here for 2 years now and here is where I will stay! If it isnt here yet, I will wait!

GD rocks!

;)

You do have to be careful when you are searching for just about anything that is high profile. Black friday ads, the hottest toy of the year, and other items fall under that category (think Zhu Zhu pets).

There will always be people that take advantages of surges in web traffic... mainly because their sites don't stay around long all the time anyway... so quick volume is key.

Surfer beware...

Oh yeah... and just stay here at GottaDeal.

;)

Sort of a side question, but I've never understood why people bother to do that. What do they gain by infecting computers with viruses?

Even though it would just take a few minutes to do, I wouldn't want to hurt anybody's computer and if I wasn't making $$ I wouldn't want to even waste 10 minutes.

I always search with google. And with the recent thing people are searching for, I open the search options and search for the last 24 hours. I also read the summaries. Virus sites will have mumbo-jumbo in the quick summary, misspelled words, and more.

I think this is a really great site, but unfortunately theres places out there that are spelling out, without the scans, exactly what is in the ad. And there are also those sites that have the ad for a short time, before they get asked to take it down.

There's not anywhere near the discussions and comparisons on other sites that there are here, but this one ad is really what people want to know about, year after year. I don't buy all my groceries at one store, but there is one store I shop at the most.

Sort of a side question, but I've never understood why people bother to do that. What do they gain by infecting computers with viruses?

Even though it would just take a few minutes to do, I wouldn't want to hurt anybody's computer and if I wasn't making $$ I wouldn't want to even waste 10 minutes.

You're nice. People in other countries trying to steal your personal info with a virus are not. :(