Xmas spirit is hard

cc1824

I bought my 3 oldest the portable DVD players 3yrs ago for Christmas and they have only used them a few times. I wouldn't waste the money unless it is something they requested. Even for in the car....they will be driving so they couldn't be watching.

I do agree they sound like good kids so I bet they wouldn't want you to spend much. Maybe you could do some things like make a montage of all their pictures from when they were little to the present? My current favorite song for a montage is "Amazing" by Janelle.....you can hear it on youtube.com.

I like AllShoppedOut's idea. They will always remember how you celebrated them for 12 days and not just one. Then Christmas day you could have a meal together, watch your favorite movies, and eat cookies while reflecting on the 12 days of Christmas.

Whatever you do I'm sure they will appreciate you even more.

Johnny was joking, but minor league tickets are affordable, if they like sports.

meals are wonderful.

I'd skip the DVD player... 100$ in gas cards would be more useful...

and as others said - presents are not what it is about. Obviously your boys already know that.

When I was that age, which seems like just yesterday....lol I loved it when I got a grocery gift basket.

If you have an Aldi's near you, it wouldn't cost a whole lot to put together a really nice big grocery gift basket. My husband and I still love it when we get grocery store gift cards for Christmas and we are not spring chickens...lol

Who doesn't like food :)

My family is also in tough financial straits - brother is in firefighting school while supporting his wife while she's in school, dad essentially started a new business, other brother just had a baby and is in grad school, and I'm saving for my wedding while also supported my grad school fiancé.

So our family decided to do a Secret Santa gift exchange. My brothers, their wives, our parents, and my fiancé and I each drew one of the others' names. Only rule: You cannot draw yourself or your spouse. We capped the limit at $100 and are exchanging at Thanksgiving (we're all spending Xmas with our in-laws). The grandbabies are a free-for-all, which is fine because none of them are really old enough to know what Xmas is.

I've spent around $85 and have essentially finished shopping for 6 ppl (brothers, wives, and parents).

So perhaps a Secret Santa exchange may work?

watch A Charlie Brown Christmas

Christmas isn't about how much you spend or what gifts you put under the tree. It's about family, being together, spreading love and hope for a better world.

I've been there before and will never forget how I had to tell my 2 kids (then 11 and 8) that Santa wouldn't be coming to our house this year with big gifts as he helped mommy pay for the new fridge. They made it through relatively unscathed!

Nothing says love more than a homemade gift. Anyone can slap a bill or swipe a card at a cash register and pick up a gift card or a gift that someone doesn't need. But a gift of your time is the best gift of all. Cookies, cakes, sweets, even those food gifts in a jar you put together make great gifts for close family and friends. And if they know you have been out of work - shouldn't they know not to expect much from you anyway?

Throw on some Christmas music and decorate your house! Bring out the nativity set and remember why we celebrate Christmas.

I am trying to bring myself out of my pre-holiday funk as well. But I am working on it!

It is also a tough year for my family too. I went back to school this past fall, all while losing my job. We do have my husbands income, which isn't much when you consider there is 6 of us. We just had to move the end of August and other things have happened. My kids are 15, 13 and 7, the older ones understand the younger one still believes. Santa is bringing her an arts and crafts this year. Cheap and simple. She is very artistic and loves her art. She wanted the fur real lulu cat, but I'm sorry I can't afford the $40 for something to end up in her closet. The older 2 know that they will be getting a couple of things and that's it. Usually I have probably 100 or more presents under the tree just for the kids:eyepoppin, not including the adults. My husband and I have decided that we are not exhanging gifts this year as well. We are all happy and healthy and going back to school is a huge gift in itself.;)

We are in the same situation this year as well. My dh lost his job in July and had to take a pay cut in October. We have basically cut our income by 2/3's. I am just takin things day by day and I know we will get through it. We had a very nice income and lived foulishly for a long time. You dont always realize what you have till its gone, but I have so learned to appreciate things way more now. So for that I am greatful!

Well it sounds to me if your boy's are willing to help you then you raised some great boys!! Remember Christmas isn't always about the gifts. I have a friend who is divorced and can not get her son much and his dad always gets him outrageous gifts. I always tell her, the gifts are going to be forgotten by next year but making cookies, watching movies, decorating etc... will be remembered forever by your child!!QUOTE]

I was going to say something like this... I remember when my brother and I were growing up that there were many Christmases that our parents struggled. It always seemed like our dad was getting laid off. Now out of all those years I only really remember one or two gifts that I ever got. What sticks in my head about Christmas when I was a kid is seeing the lights, putting up the tree, Christmas dinners with family and my Grandpa always dressing up like Santa Clause on Christmas Eve for all the kids. I even tend to think about my Nannie's little smokies and Grandma's cheesecake before any toys I received because it was a tradition. Every year with my son I always try to focus on letting him make memories like that too instead of the gifts. We try to make the entire week of Christmas FUN, not just one night to get presents. We make a construction paper chain for the tree. We always get one of the gingerbread house kits to do together. Go look at Christmas lights, make popcorn together (on the stove, my son likes to cook in a pot), and watch a good Christmas movie. If you can get brown craft paper (the large roll), let your children lay on it and outline their body. Then they decorate it with markers & construction paper so they can make themselves into a gingerbread man (hang it on the wall). Make paper snowflakes, attach to string and attach them to the ceiling (we hang around the Christmas tree). My son is already asking when we're getting our gingerbread kits. Not once has he mentioned a toy that I got last year. I know that he'll always remember those little traditions first. :)

Oh, and sorry for the long post. ;)

We are in trouble this year as well...of course who isn't! We haven't made any more, haven't made any less, but everything has gone up in price. I can not BF shopping this year, which stinks cause my inlaws will be here so they could actually watch the kids for me. We're struggling with keeping our heat and water on and have food on the table. A little more important to have those things. I've been trying to find a job that I can do while my kids are in school and not have to put them in daycare and eat the costs of that, but no luck. I think I started the look too late. My kids are 11 & 9 and they know we do not have much money this year, but it has not stopped them from wanting this and this and this. I am trying my best to make the season more about family (even though it's just us 4) and fun and crafts and such. But I know come Christmas morning they will be sad...but I'll try my best to keep it happy. My 9 yo loves making cookies, so we'll do that on Christmas. We've had good years before, this one is just going to be our worst. We'll get over it and just be thankful for what we do have!!