equal presents....

nicole20

I was just wondering this is my first christmas buying for two children my ds is 6 and my dd is 12months, how do you make sure that the presents are equal. I was thinking of just spending the same amount of money on both, but what if one gets more presents than the other this way? Or do you just make sure they have the same number of presents.

I have to say that this is something that I am really struggling with this year. I would say it all depends on your dd6. Your 12 month old will not realize either way.

When my oldest had to have her 1st christmas with my other dd who was about 4 months at the time she was 4 and a half and she counted every single gift. Now we have 3 in total. My oldest is now 7 almost eight, other dd is 3 and ds is 18 months. Every year though my oldest counts the gifts. ( my other 2 dont care) So I have always had equal amount of gifts.

However this year my dd7 wants very expensive things ( hannah montana concert tickets, karaoke machine, ipod , digital camera etc) so this adds up in $ way more then my other 2's gifts..so I explained to her that this year she might get a few less gifts then her siblings but hers are worth alot more. She says she is ok with it..but I must admit I am a bit worried...

So to answer your question,,You know your dd's personality..if she wouldnt care about amounts dont sweat it. If she will then try to make it equal...hope that helped!

I have to say that this is something that I am really struggling with this year. I would say it all depends on your dd6. Your 12 month old will not realize either way.

When my oldest had to have her 1st christmas with my other dd who was about 4 months at the time she was 4 and a half and she counted every single gift. Now we have 3 in total. My oldest is now 7 almost eight, other dd is 3 and ds is 18 months. Every year though my oldest counts the gifts. ( my other 2 dont care) So I have always had equal amount of gifts.

However this year my dd7 wants very expensive things ( hannah montana concert tickets, karaoke machine, ipod , digital camera etc) so this adds up in $ way more then my other 2's gifts..so I explained to her that this year she might get a few less gifts then her siblings but hers are worth alot more. She says she is ok with it..but I must admit I am a bit worried...

So to answer your question,,You know your dd's personality..if she wouldnt care about amounts dont sweat it. If she will then try to make it equal...hope that helped!

Thanks maybe i will try to explain things to my ds and see if he understands that his things are bigger and more expensive than his sisters to even things out

When I was younger, I personally didn't care, but I remember my brother trying to figure out the costs of all of our gifts and felt slighted if he thought mine were more expensive. This was when he was about 5 yrs. old!!!!! It all depends on your child and how they perceive things. As far as me, we've only got one child so it doesn't matter, but for my nieces and nephews, I try to make theirs cost the same no matter how many gifts it takes to add up to that.

i second that it depends on the kids. My son is 5 and last night I explained that his great grandma and grandpa gave me 50.00 to spend on each him and his sister. I broke it down kindergarten style and showed him 6 fingers. I said now if I get you ONE gift worth 6.00 and your sister THREE gifts worth (and I closed my hands and proceeded to count again) 2.00, 2.00, and 2.00....(at this point I was holding the original 6 fingers up)...would you be ok with that? Because I can either get you ONE BIG present or THREE SMALL ones...

he chose the one big ;) how'd I guess? LOL!

so really i think its all in how your kids handle understanding finances. :)

When my oldest had to have her 1st christmas with my other dd who was about 4 months at the time she was 4 and a half and she counted every single gift.

For any who may be having this issue (or worried that you may), here's what we've done with my nieces if we have more gifts for one than the other (depending on time and budget):

a) add small, individually-wrapped, cheap gifts (a jump rope, or cheap accessories to something they already own, etc.), for the one getting fewer things

OR

B) re-evaluate how to wrap the gifts we've already bought (or plan to buy)-- could 2 or more small gifts be wrapped in one box (like a doll and separate accessories for her)... or could a "set" be split up and wrapped separately without being too obvious (like a camera and a carrying case for it)?

OR

c) put all of each child's gifts into one or two boxes and wrap them; you can also wrap the individual gifts inside each box to make it more exciting for them. This is a fun way to keep an older child in suspense, when they're just "sure" you're getting them a certain thing but can't find anything under the tree that's the right size/shape to be that item! ;)

I go $$$$ amount. I spend the same on all 3. I do remember though my dd's 1st Christmas, she was 7M old, and we were broke so I just got her a couple of outfits because she wouldn't know anyway and bought my 2 older kids(step) the regular amount of money I had spent the previous year.

I have a friend with a child who will count every gift under the tree and determine how many gifts everyone has. The year her brother was born, she was quite upset that the stocking he had was way bigger than hers.

So, depends on the kid.

I always tried to make them equal even that they are older (18 & 15).

I have a friend with a child who will count every gift under the tree and determine how many gifts everyone has. The year her brother was born, she was quite upset that the stocking he had was way bigger than hers.

Sounds like my niece. Last year, I spent the same amount of money on her as I did for her other 3 sisters. She counted the number of gifts, and freaked out that one sister had more than her.

Things like that bother me.

I have 6 kids, and they all get the same amount of gifts, and usually spend about the same amount. We take turns opening the gifts under the tree one at a time (stockings are a free for all), but we have a "system" for gifts. Each child gets PJ's on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas day they get 1 gift from Santa, and under the tree they get something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read. So far the gifts my kids ask for are pretty equal in price, which makes it easy for me. Once they start asking for things that are much more expensive (ie: laptop), I'll still do the same amount of gifts, but their other gifts will be less expensive. The funny thing about my kids is that if they were to get less gifts than everyone else, they wouldn't care, it's all the other kids that would be upset that one of their siblings got less than them! :)

I make sure to spend the same amount on each of them, and try to have equal amounts of presents at the same time. Usually I keep within $10 of eachother. Fortunately for me, my boys are so close in age (they are 17.5 months apart) and into the same things, so most of the toys that they are getting, they will both play with together. There are a few things that I bought 2 of, because I anticipate lots of fighting if not. I keep track of the # of presents and the amount I have spent by adding to my list everytime I buy. Sometimes it may mean wrapping 2 things in the same box, to keep the number of boxes even. At their ages, they'd be more likely to notice that one got more boxes than the other, rather than whose presents are worth more. I've been luckily that everything has been even so far without having to worry about it. It just worked out that way :)

DS is a only child, but I worried about this last year with my nephews. One is 10 and the other is 16 months. I bought the 10 year old a Wii video game which cost $49.99. Of course, it took a few baby gifts to equal that amount for the baby. I put all of the baby's gifts in 1 Christmas bag and wrapped the older ones gift. I was amazed, but he didn't pay any attention at all to how many different things his baby brother got. He was just so happy with his new game.

We spend a certain amount per child DSS13 and DD9 have both had it explained the more expensive the stuff is that you want the less you will get but the other might get more gifts but we spent the same amount of money.. DSS13 wants those expensive lego set or the new release video games while DD9 is still happy with movies, those BF special HSM or HM dolls for $5 stuff like that..

For dd and dsil I try to buy like gifts. One dvd for her one for him, one electronic item for him one for her, etc. They may not cost the same but have the same amount & types of gifts. Since she rarely buys for herself I do spend extra on her. Besides they know I am a great deal finder and never really know what I would spend for even the most expensive item.

This year dgd is 10 and dgs is 1. I will make sure they have the same number of gifts but the value won't be the same. I was able to find his toys for this yr last yr on clearance. Since she is older I wasn't able to do that. Their ages are so far apart I don't think they will ever notice.

We have a method to opening gifts too. Everyone opens their stockings together, then they take turns opening gifts. Dgd & dgs first then they can play while dd & sil open their gifts. This helps me be able to take good pics.

We the older ones were little we did equal presents, because we went around the room and everybody watched the one opening his or her gift, they would have been upset if they finished to many presents ahead. If they got an expensive present I would use really inexpensive items to fill in.

I try to give my 2 kids equal number of gifts and try to keep the cost about the same. Even though they have the same amount of presents DD4 always looks like she has more than DS9 because DD's presents are so much bigger even though DS's cost more! ;) You can't please all of the people (aka kids!) all of the time! :)