What can I do with a box full of pinecones?

AuntieJul

I have a very large, very old white pine tree in my backyard. A few weeks ago I collected a box full of fresh pinecones from those that had fallen on my lawn, and I've left them alone so they can dry. I had the great idea of saving them and "doing something" with them for the holidays. I don't know where to start! Do you have tips or ideas or things you've done with pinecones before? How do I have to preserve them (ie: with a clear coat of paint)? How can I decorate them? How can I turn them into decorations for Christmas packages? Thanks!!!

DD likes to collect these from the tree in front of our post office. She likes to stand them up as trees, so you could turn them into mini Christmas trees (to use as tree ornaments or bag/package decoration) with glue, glitter and assorted decorations. Or tie a string at the top, spread it with peanut butter, roll in bird seed and hang it outside for the birds. My mom, long ago, made a big pine cone Christmas tree with chicken wire for the base. Or you could do a wreath.... I think I need to start on this myself! :)

And these could be made and given as gifts (an ornament) or used on your own tree

Or put on top of a package :D

Glitter pine cone:

Gather clean well shaped pine cones, loose glitter, brown bags, spray adhesive, and ribbon. Spray your pinecone with the adhesive and then drop into a bag that you've sprinkled glitter into. Shake well and remove. After deciding where to position your ribbon add more adhesive to that

area (regular glue works well for this also) and making a loop with the ribbon lay ends on the glue and hold briefly. If cone still feels tacky allow to dry before handling.

In another thread regarding homemade crafts, Gottadealers have put pine cones in a jar with lights and potpouri .

I found this too:

Pine cones can be added to any potpourri mixture for an added Christmas feel. Or use pine cones all by themselves in a pretty bowl or transparent vase. Add a couple of drops of essential oils to the pine cones to create your own individual Christmas holiday scent. Some suggested essential oils for Christmas are cinnamon, peppermint, and cloves. Essential oils are very potent. Just a few drops will scent even most large rooms. Try this in bathrooms for unique and useful Christmas decorating ideas.

Use pine cones to make homemade Christmas ornaments. For a totally natural look, tie a pretty thread or string to the pine cone by looping the thread around the pine cone's needles. Then hang it on the tree. You can also have fun decorating pine cones. For a different natural look, buy some flock spray. This is basically fake snow in a can. Flock spray can be found in crafts stores and most discount stores around Christmas. Spray the flock spray on the pine cones in an all-over light coating or just spray the tips. Kids like to use glitter to decorate pine cones for ornaments.

If you have enough pine cones, you can used them as homemade garland for your Christmas tree. Simply string the pine cones together by tying them securely with pretty ribbon. Leave the pine cones plain or decorate them however you like. This is one of the best Christmas decorating ideas for a country, old-fashioned, or rustic themed Christmas tree.

Pine cones make great decorations for Christmas anywhere in the home. Pine cones and other nature items like acorns, pine boughs, and grape vines will go well with most decorating schemes. Try placing them in decorative bowls. Or use them as table centerpieces or displayed on your fireplace mantel.

Hope this helps.

all i know is i love those big bags of smelly pinecones at michaels and if you could do it yourself how cool for a home freshener during the holidays. i am going to look to see if i can find out how to do it cause i have pinecones too in the yard

found it!

Add a Comment (0)

Potpourri Pinecones

by Christine Dvornik

Time: An afternoon

Type of activity: Nature Arts and Crafts

Spend a fall afternoon outside getting fresh air and plenty of pinecones for this project!

Materials needed:

· Pinecones

· 1/2 cup Water

· 1/2 cup Glue

· Cinnamon, cloves, or other spices

· Paintbrush

· Mixing bowl and spoon

· Plastic bowl (one for each spice)

· Small basket or decorative bowl

What to do:

Step One: Take a walk with your child to collect an assortment of pinecones.

Step Two: Lay newspapers over the entire work area.

Step Three: Mix a half cup of glue with a half cup of water together in the mixing bowl.

Step Four: Put each spice into its plastic bowl.

Step Five: Using the paintbrush, coat an entire pinecone with a layer of the glue mixture.

Step Six: Now, roll the pinecone in one, two, or three different spices. Make sure to cover the entire pinecone.

Step Seven: Repeat steps Five and Six for each potpourri pinecone you want to make.

Step Eight: Set the pinecones aside to dry for several hours.

Display your pinecones in a small basket or decorative bowl, and they'll keep your house smelling sweet!

Add a Comment (0)

Print this page E-Mail this pageSign-up for Newsletters

Edited by dealluvr
add

We always buy the bags of cinnamon pinecones and put them in a really nice basket with white lights and berry sprigs (like what you use in a wreath).

Very pretty, and when the lights heat up you can really smell the cinnamon.

You can always drop some scented oils in them to make them smell good -- like the potpourri mentioned above.

all i know is i love those big bags of smelly pinecones at michaels and if you could do it yourself how cool for a home freshener during the holidays. i am going to look to see if i can find out how to do it cause i have pinecones too in the yard

found it!

Add a Comment (0)

Potpourri Pinecones

by Christine Dvornik

Time: An afternoon

Type of activity: Nature Arts and Crafts

Spend a fall afternoon outside getting fresh air and plenty of pinecones for this project!

Materials needed:

· Pinecones

· 1/2 cup Water

· 1/2 cup Glue

· Cinnamon, cloves, or other spices

· Paintbrush

· Mixing bowl and spoon

· Plastic bowl (one for each spice)

· Small basket or decorative bowl

What to do:

Step One: Take a walk with your child to collect an assortment of pinecones.

Step Two: Lay newspapers over the entire work area.

Step Three: Mix a half cup of glue with a half cup of water together in the mixing bowl.

Step Four: Put each spice into its plastic bowl.

Step Five: Using the paintbrush, coat an entire pinecone with a layer of the glue mixture.

Step Six: Now, roll the pinecone in one, two, or three different spices. Make sure to cover the entire pinecone.

Step Seven: Repeat steps Five and Six for each potpourri pinecone you want to make.

Step Eight: Set the pinecones aside to dry for several hours.

Display your pinecones in a small basket or decorative bowl, and they'll keep your house smelling sweet!

Add a Comment (0)

Print this page E-Mail this pageSign-up for Newsletters

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this - I will have to try it! I love it too but I hate burning candles sometimes especially when I'm baking - I don't like to have scents overpower the oven. :)

you can make turkeys out of them and use them as place holders for thanksgiving or a craft to keep kids busy, just glue a small one to a large one (the small one becomes the head), then glue feathers to its bottom and add eyes and a piece of red felt to the face.

That's really cute, thanks!

In another thread regarding homemade crafts, Gottadealers have put pine cones in a jar with lights and potpouri .

I found this too:

Pine cones can be added to any potpourri mixture for an added Christmas feel. Or use pine cones all by themselves in a pretty bowl or transparent vase. Add a couple of drops of essential oils to the pine cones to create your own individual Christmas holiday scent. Some suggested essential oils for Christmas are cinnamon, peppermint, and cloves. Essential oils are very potent. Just a few drops will scent even most large rooms. Try this in bathrooms for unique and useful Christmas decorating ideas.

Use pine cones to make homemade Christmas ornaments. For a totally natural look, tie a pretty thread or string to the pine cone by looping the thread around the pine cone's needles. Then hang it on the tree. You can also have fun decorating pine cones. For a different natural look, buy some flock spray. This is basically fake snow in a can. Flock spray can be found in crafts stores and most discount stores around Christmas. Spray the flock spray on the pine cones in an all-over light coating or just spray the tips. Kids like to use glitter to decorate pine cones for ornaments.

If you have enough pine cones, you can used them as homemade garland for your Christmas tree. Simply string the pine cones together by tying them securely with pretty ribbon. Leave the pine cones plain or decorate them however you like. This is one of the best Christmas decorating ideas for a country, old-fashioned, or rustic themed Christmas tree.

Pine cones make great decorations for Christmas anywhere in the home. Pine cones and other nature items like acorns, pine boughs, and grape vines will go well with most decorating schemes. Try placing them in decorative bowls. Or use them as table centerpieces or displayed on your fireplace mantel.

Hope this helps.

Wow, allshoppedout! I love these ideas. I don't know what kind of spray or anything to buy, this definitely helps!