Need gift ideas....

sunprincess831

Fisher-price Little People! They have an adorable little dollhouse that I would definately get if I had a girl :) Books are always great too! How about a child's gold bracelet for special occasions, or earrings if she has her ears pieced?

You can't go wrong with Little People! With my 4 kids we bought many many sets and even though they've just about outgrown them, I keeping them all. I'm storing them in the garage rafters for the future grandkids.

A rocking horse and scoot car/activity cars were very well liked by all my little ones around that age. My kids also really liked Weeble Wobbles. My almost 4 year old still plays with the tree house.

You are in GA, I don't know what your winters are like...but you could get her one of those little houses by Little Tykes maybe she could play in it a big in winter and spring, but really enjoy in Summer..

1-You could build it and keep it indoors if you have a game room or large bedroom....and let her play indoors all winter. Years ago, I did this with the bigger slide/climb thing for my son then we took it apart partially, and reassembled outside in April.:yup: Never had anything from LittleTykes break...

2-Also the Sport Coupe car --unisex--to move around in, burn some energy when stuck inside this winter. It is fairly small and she will use it for a long time to come.

Zoo membership mentioned by other poster is great idea & how about

3- GYMBOREE class paid for by Grandma or Grandpa? Makes it even more special... And some places have KINDERMUSIK classes, my son love this!

Gift certificate for BUILD A BEAR!!! :D

I have a son born in January, had much of the same problem, he got a bunch of stuff for Xmas and then I never knew what to tell people to bring for his b-day party... you don't want too many gifts at once--it can be tough... and with yours growing so fast, there are only so many toys for the 12-24 month age group..then they won't use many of those, they'll outgrow..

You are in GA, I don't know what your winters are like...but you could

1-get her one of those little houses by Little Tykes maybe she could play in it a bit during winter and spring, but really enjoy in Summer..

You could build it and keep it indoors if you have a game room or large bedroom....and let her play indoors all winter. Years ago, I did this with the bigger slide/climb thing for my son then we took it apart partially, and reassembled outside in April.:yup: Never had anything from LittleTykes break...

2-Also the Sport Coupe car --unisex--to move around in, burn some energy when stuck inside this winter. It is fairly small and she will use it for a long time to come.

3- GYMBOREE class paid for by Grandma or Grandpa? Makes it even more special... And some states have KINDERMUSIK classes, my son loved this place!

4-Gift certificate for BUILD A BEAR!!! :D

I have a son born in January, had much of the same problem, he got a bunch of stuff for Xmas and then I never knew what to tell people to bring for his b-day party... you don't want too many gifts at once--it can be tough... and with yours growing so fast, there are only so many toys for the 12-24 month age group..then they won't use many of those, they'll outgrow..

You are in GA, I don't know what your winters are like...but you could

1-get her one of those little houses by Little Tykes maybe she could play in it a big in winter and spring, but really enjoy in Summer..

You could build it and keep it indoors if you have a game room or large bedroom....and let her play indoors all winter. Years ago, I did this with the bigger slide/climb thing for my son then we took it apart partially, and reassembled outside in April.:yup: Never had anything from LittleTykes break...

3- GYMBOREE class paid for by Grandma or Grandpa? Makes it even more special... And some places have KINDERMUSIK classes, my son loved this place!

4-Gift certificate for BUILD A BEAR!!! :D

I second the Cozy Coupe... we used ours until both of my boys were too big to fit. They even have a pink girl version now! :)

how many gifts do you want to get - and why? At 1 they can be overwhelmed with chaotic Christmases. a few new toys will keep her happy... a doll, little people, a book, and something flashy that makes noise.

Put the rest of the money into a college account to earn interest for 17 years....

how many gifts do you want to get - and why? At 1 they can be overwhelmed with chaotic Christmases. a few new toys will keep her happy... a doll, little people, a book, and something flashy that makes noise.

Put the rest of the money into a college account to earn interest for 17 years....

In my family we take birthdays and Christmases very seriously and always give lots of gifts no matter the age, just how my family does things! We love to spoil, hehe. My daughter is the first grandchild on both mine and my hubby's side of the family and first girl in a while on his side and first girl in 24 years on my side of the family, she is always gunna end up with big holidays.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input I definitely will look at some of these at the store!

Not saying don't spoil her... but the grandparents will do that. :D

In my family we take birthdays and Christmases very seriously and always give lots of gifts no matter the age, just how my family does things! We love to spoil, hehe. My daughter is the first grandchild on both mine and my hubby's side of the family and first girl in a while on his side and first girl in 24 years on my side of the family, she is always gunna end up with big holidays.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input I definitely will look at some of these at the store!

Fisher-price Little People! They have an adorable little dollhouse that I would definately get if I had a girl :) ?

I second this!

My kids LOVED their Little People. We had so many at one point we had to half our collection. The dollhouse is absolutely adorable and very fun.

My daughter got her first set shortly before she turned 1. She loved playing with it. :D

......... My daughter is the first grandchild on both mine and my hubby's side of the family and first girl in a while on his side and first girl in 24 years on my side of the family, she is always gunna end up with big holidays.

WOW 24 years that is amazing, how lucky she is. . . I wanted to add about getting memberships or classes to things, I think they are fantastic because each time they go, week after week, they will remember, Grandma gave me this as a gift..and then there is a swingset!! It can be purchased and kept in garage, put a ribbon on it, but don't put up right away. (Get a big photo of it to give to her )

Sometimes a significant/large gift is great... When my kids (pretty active, energetic) had too many little toys laying about, it turned into just a sea of clutter...

Have a SUPER Holiday! :holiday12

I second the zoo membership, Little People farm or money to college savings account.

Believe me, I am so thankful for the $1,000 annually grandparents stashed away for my children. It adds up - and college costs increase faster than anything else (except maybe healthcare). I haven't met a child with too few toys but I know plenty of good teenagers with too few funds for college.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

It's been a longgggg time since I had any babies to buy for, I need some ideas for an 8 month old baby boy. We're pretty close to his parents, but I really have no idea what would be a good gift. I'm probably looking at around $50. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!

TIA

I have a 13 month old great-nephew to buy for, so these are some great ideas- thanks!!

Since he and his parents don't live nearby and will be driving in for the holidays, I was thinking of getting him something small plus a gift card that the parents can use to buy something for him later, so they won't have to lug as much stuff home. Where should I get the gift card for to get the most "bang for my bucks"? I'm not familiar with stores in their area, so one that could be used online would be good too (maybe include some coupon codes that are good till January?)...

What if you suggested stocks or savings bonds? I bought my granddaughter a share of Disney stock for her first Christmas. The certificate is so cute with all the character's around the edges. Since then it has doubled. Or you could suggest savings bonds. This could start a college fund for her.

They could give her a small toy and the invest the rest for her future.

I remember the Christmas my DD was 16 months. We were in a position to be able to give her things, so we did. I didn't take into consideration all the gifts that she would get from family, too. The pile of gifts was overwhelming. She was so upset on Christmas morning because she would open gifts until she found one that interested her just to have someone take it away and have her open something else. After a while she refused to open anything at all. It took 3-4 days for her to open all the gifts, and most didn't get much play. I saw this same thing happen to a young friend at her 2nd birthday party this year, too. She found a bear that she wanted to play with and was done opening gifts. When her parents set it off to the side so that she could finish opening the rest of the gifts she got really upset. Most toddlers would be happy with a couple of toys to love, and if generous family wants to give more they could add to a bank account for later. This could be a college fund, first car fund, or just your child's savings accout - one that she can add to and manage when she is old enough.

Hindsight is 20/20, right? Here are a few things that I have learned that could prevent a Christmas meltdown:

1. Give a young child plenty of time to open packages. They just can't rip through the paper like a 7-year-old can.

2. Let her play with her new toy for a while before asking her to turn her attention to the next gift.

3. Whenever possible take toys out of the original packaging before wrapping them. Otherwise you will spend all of Christmas day untangling toys while your child begs to get them out faster. When it is already out of the package she can check it out right away.

That said, you were looking for gift ideas. Here are some my kids liked at that age:

1. Little people. My kids are 6,4, and 3 and still play with them fairly regularly. I still wish that I has picked up a Little People nativity set last year so they had their own to play with.

2. Blocks. We have set of soft blocks from Target that have shaped cylinders that slide inside. Some were solid and others had things inside (ball, beads, key). They are blocks, rattles, and a shape-sorting puzzle all in one toy.

3. Doll house. I'm not sure if your daughter would play with it much yet, but mine all have played with our regularly for over 2 years. If you buy the house now she could ask for additional furniture sets for future birthday and holidays.

4. Play kitchen. If your daugher is walking on her own she is probably big enough to enjoy a play kitchen.

5. Train set. NOT just for boys! These definatly have staying power. And you can start with a basic set and add on as your child grows.

I have gone to playgroups at a few different places. The doll houses, trains, play kitchens, and play houses never get neglected. There are often kids fighting for space around the train table. Of course, your daughter is still pretty young so you wouldn't want to leave her alone with them. I am sure most are marketed for ages 3+. You may even want to wait a while if she tends to chew on things.

I have a 13 month old great-nephew to buy for, so these are some great ideas- thanks!!

Since he and his parents don't live nearby and will be driving in for the holidays, I was thinking of getting him something small plus a gift card that the parents can use to buy something for him later, so they won't have to lug as much stuff home. Where should I get the gift card for to get the most "bang for my bucks"? I'm not familiar with stores in their area, so one that could be used online would be good too (maybe include some coupon codes that are good till January?)...

How about a Barnes and Noblle Gift card. They could get him books (1 a month maybe) My DD is 6 but she has always liked being read to.

My son just turned 1 in September and some of his favorite birthday toys are his bounce and spin zebra, ball pit ( make sure you buy extra balls ), a CARS tent, little people, a wagon filled with mega blocks, and his touch and feel books.

My grandson turned 1 in Sept, too. His ball pit is his favorite toy. He will do a belly flop into it and just laugh. The favorite game is when he tosses the balls out and his 10 yr old sister tosses them back in. I agree get more balls, the package of 100 was at WalMart for about $15 and filled it well.