Anyone buy on BF to donate to charity on BF?

jllouie

This past christmas we adopted 8 angels, 6 kids and 2 from the elderly tree. My husband about crapped his pants when he saw how many I had taken but he was great about helping wrap everything and deliver it. I feel like we are so very blessed and its the least we can do to ensure little kids get christmas and the elderly aren't forgotten. Like many GDer's I keep a well stocked gift closet and was able to use a lot out of there and only had to buy a few things from their lists I didn't have on hand already. Each child got about 7-10 gifts depending on their lists. I too shop all year long for deals to donate to the needy at christmas time. There isn't a better feeling than knowing you gave a child christmas who might not of gotten anything otherwise.

I clean out my gift closet every year before Christmas, I donate everything left in there to the Salvation Army's Forest of Trees. Then in January I start filling it up again!

We live in a very small town. Does anyone know of any organization that accepts good 'used' toys? My daughter has outgrown many of her toys and I would love to give them to someone that is in need.

depends on where you are... Since I don't know that, stop by the nearest womens shelter, or call your local health department to see where that is, in lieu of that ask a local fireman or police officer where you can donate. Or even your nearest hospital childrens ward! Ronald McDonald house?

• 2 weeks later...

depends on where you are... Since I don't know that, stop by the nearest womens shelter, or call your local health department to see where that is, in lieu of that ask a local fireman or police officer where you can donate. Or even your nearest hospital childrens ward! Ronald McDonald house?

Ok, thank you. We don't have a local women's shelter that I know of, but I will ask the school police officer since I know him pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion.

So many kind people in here!

I buy mp3 players all year long and donate them to the local toy drive. I've never heard of Toys for Teens but that is a great idea. The older kids who go without are often forgotten at Christmas. That's why I do the mp3 players.

last year i raised 30 something blankets and hand passed them to the mass amounts of homeless in our area. I am going to try and do the same this year. I also like to buy off the angel tree. :)

last year 90% of my blankets came from complete strangers off of Amazon. I was in tears the first few times the UPS driver left 10+ boxes stacked at my front door full of brand new blankets from people I had never even met. That is one bunch of amazing people. **sniff** They did their part last year though and I dont plan on asking them to give again this year.

aaaannnnnnnd I'm crying.:(

Don't forget all the great food prices we get this time of year. I am in Oklahoma, it is against the law to sell things for cheaper than you buy it !!! So a friend and I drive across the border (about 45 min) with a van full of coolers and bought all the turkeys we could! We just couldn't pass up $0.40 a pound turkeys! We both kept a holiday turkey for ourselves, but the rest went to the food bank. They were so excited!!!! The food bank here hardly ever gets meat, so it was a treat. The sad part was they said they hardly get families that are big enough to give a whole turkey too!!! I guess they have a rule on how many pounds of meat they can give out per person, so check and see what your food bank can use.

Oh, fresh fruits and veggies are also a big need!!! Try picking up a few bags of potatoes or apples when you find them cheap this time of year.

My daughter is so excited - she was on the radio when she and my mom dropped off items at the food bank and my mom wrote them a check as well.

We just got our adopt-a-families at work, we have 8 families as of now and I've requested 1 more. I'm so excited because we'll get all the info out before BF - we can get more for each family/assist more families if we shop wisely. Thank-you gottadeal.com - you help make it all possible!

I am almost ashamed to say I have never done this. The reason being is I know of so many people that cheat the system and it really burns me up. Please don't think bad of me. Every year I really want to do something but then think of people that abuse the system.

My oldest dd did a shoe box for a teenager in another country but that's it. I really like the the idea of doing something for seniors though. I am going to check into this this week. Thanks for the idea!

I am very blessed to say that I have been involved with Jafco which is an foster care and adoption organization and this year I am co-ordinating my temples toy drive. We are asking all families that come to our hanukkah party bring a new unwrapped toy or a give card or money donation for jAFCO. I am also thrlled that both by children's school are donating to toys for tots and our local food bank.

The reason being is I know of so many people that cheat the system and it really burns me up.

I do not think bad of you for thinking this at all. I run the clothing closet at my church. There are those who do take advantage of the service and there are those who need the service. At our clothing closet it is no questions asked (we don't care about your income or situations) everyone is welcome. I have learned that I can't get wrapped around those 1 or 2 who abuse the service. I do have a hard time myself giving gifts and such to others "in need". If I personally know the family or the situation then I give all I can.

Our local food bank is one of the few places I know that income and need is checked before services are received, that is why I like giving to the food bank!

I am almost ashamed to say I have never done this. The reason being is I know of so many people that cheat the system and it really burns me up. Please don't think bad of me. Every year I really want to do something but then think of people that abuse the system.

My oldest dd did a shoe box for a teenager in another country but that's it. I really like the the idea of doing something for seniors though. I am going to check into this this week. Thanks for the idea!

Go check some nursing homes in your area because some of those people don't have any one left and I am sure they would like something.