What should I look for in a digital camera (point and shoot)

lovebears65

Why wouldn't Casio be there tomorrow?

I just feel like Casio isn't known for the Digital Cameras. In this economy... if you aren't focusing on your main product, you may not be there tomorrow. Plus, when you think of digital cameras, you don't exactly think of Casio.

I just feel like Casio isn't known for the Digital Cameras. In this economy... if you aren't focusing on your main product, you may not be there tomorrow. Plus, when you think of digital cameras, you don't exactly think of Casio.

Maybe YOU don't but Casio was my first digital camera and I've had Casios ever since. Casio isn't new to digital cameras and they aren't going anywhere.

ETA: Actually no, my first digital camera I ever had (about 10 years ago) was a Canon, hated it returned it for a Nikon, hated that returned it for the Casio and never looked back! ;)

Edited by Jen8112
to add something

Casio has over 50 years history and it has been famous for making calculator and watches for decades. They've been making digital camera since 2002.

Casio's Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio

(They've been around since 1946).

Many companies make a wide variety of products. What is the main product focus for these companies:

Apple --- computers, operating system, MP3 players, cell phones?

Mitsubishi --- vehicles, televisions, nuclear energy, insurance, plastic production, banking, seafood?

Saab --- cars, airplanes, surveillance systems, communication devices?

...Honda, Proctor & Gamble, Sony, you could go on and on...

For instance, Samsung is known here in the States for electronics of all kinds, from computers to major appliances to cameras to cell phones, but did you know that Samsung is also the world's second largest shipbuilder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Casio has over 50 years history and it has been famous for making calculator and watches for decades. They've been making digital camera since 2002.

Actually, in 1995, Casio made the first camera with a TFT display (what is commonly refered to as an LCD screen):

"1995 The QV-10, the world's first digital camera that includes a TFT display, is released."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio#Timeline_of_important_product_releases

I'm planning on getting the Olympus X905 10MP Digital Camera, assuming it is actually in the ad for Office Max... Any personal reviews or reasons this one isn't worth it? I know I want optical zoom rather than digital and I really won't have much to spend on it. $50 is really the top of my budget to get this for myself.

Thanks!

Niccole :gdflower3:

Im so ticked. I had a great camera 10X opitical zoom but I lost the software the adapter and now its just bulky. I want a new one. I am going to hint to DH I want a new camera and pick a few out for me and let him decide which one he wants to get me :D ANY suggestions. I want at least 10 optical zoom. HD and I want it a smaller camera that I can fit in my purse easy My other one is so bulky . I really hope they have some good ones on Black friday I can get online / Do you have an suggestions to what brand I should steer away from , what are the best. I am thinking of either sony or nikon

I like canons and nikons. I had one nikon that lasted for 4 years and I only finally replaced it when I also went to a mega zoom canon camera. That camera was stolen. I replaced it with a smaller canon camera and have been VERY happy with it. I have the SD 870 model. It uses a lithium batteries and have noticed that Target and Walmart now sell replacement batteries.

I prefer the canons and nikons because they take SD and HCSD cards (super cheap). All my printers and computers have SD slots so it makes it easy for me.

My dad is a Sony guy and has had Sony cameras for years. Sony cameras take Sony Memory Sticks. They are pricey IMO. The cameras are okay but I'd rather stick with something that takes an SD card.

Here is a Canon mega zoom from Best Buy, on sale this week. SX 120IS

It has Image Stabilization, Face Detection and the newest, fastest Canon processor.

I didn't look at Amazon for other mega zoom cameras. None of the ones in the Black Friday ads are powerful zoom cameras.

I was really thinking the Target Nikon was the way to go but it does say limited quantities and everyone and their mom is going to be standing in line at Target this year for those tv's. I came across the the Walgreens GE camera and did a little research and I'm thinking this has potential to be a good camera. GE is new to cameras but I guess they took some people from Olympus to make them. I'm thinking I'm willing to gamble on this. Anyone know how many there will be at the stores? My husband is pretty good buddies with the employees at a Walgreens, he goes there almost dailhy as it's really close to his work. Last year they told us there were only a few video cameras in the store.

Have you looked at Walmart's camera bundles? They have several under $100. You get a case, card, and some of them have rechargeable batteries + a charger. We are getting a bundle for our 8 year old son. I can't decide between the Kodak and Fujifilm. DH thinks Kodak would be fine for DS and it is cheaper; I like the Fujifilm because I've heard great things about their cameras and I just think it will last longer. I haven't heard anything about the Sanyo cameras. My 9 year old has a Kodak and it is perfect for her. I bought a Kodak on a Black Friday 6 years ago and lower priced Kodaks will never be my personal camera, but I think they are great for some people. But the Fujifilm is just slightly upgraded... I don't know. For his age I don't worry about the mp but I do worry how long the camera will last. I don't want to buy him another for a few years.

Walmart Camera bundles under $100

The OP is looking for 10x optical zoom, not 10mp.

For that much zoom, in that small of a package, you'll want one of the Panasonic cameras. I've heard good things about the Lumix:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742599&sr=8-1

10.1 MP, 12x Wide Angle optical zoom, has HD video.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS1-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742682&sr=8-3

10 MP, 12x wide angle optical zoom, 2.7 inch LCD. No HD Video.

A Canon Option, the Canon SX200IS

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX200IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001SER45Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742776&sr=8-7

12MP, 12x wide angle optical zoom, 3.0 inch LCD, HD Movie shooting.

Canon SX120IS:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX120IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT3S/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1256742895&sr=8-20

10MP, 10.1 optical zoom, 3 inch LCD, no HD video, but uses AA batteries.

A little late here in responding to this but I just wanted to say that I have had 3 Lumix's and each one broke just after the manufact warranty ended! :mad: This was about 2 to 3 years ago. I had one for me and each of my daughter's (who aren't little children). All 3 of the camera's just stopped working for no reason. I know for a fact I never dropped or got mine wet.... always took care of it. One day when I went to turn it on, the lens would not come out. Same thing happened to the other 2 within a month. Each of these cameras ran me about $150... cannot remember the exact model but I want to say the optical zoom on them were either a 6 or 7x..and they were black. I would never get another Panasonic again..

and as far as the Kodak's go... after our Camera's went out, I got my daughters' Kodak's and me a Cannon.. we love them! No problems with any of them.

This year I am looking for a slightly upgraded camera though, one that will take more pictures just after one another when using a flash. The Cannon is a litle slow on regenerating it's flash for some of the action pic's I like to take at night (sports and my dogs running :) )

Edited by amickeyfan

I purchased the Nikon S203 Digital camera from Target (to pm on Firday) it is 10 mp and 3X optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. Now this week I seen the Kodak Easy Share with 12mp, 5X optical zoom and 5X Digital zoom for $10.00 more at Best Buy . This camera is for my DD. She has a cheap kodak camera I got for her a few years ago and she wants one with a better zoom. I am wondering which camera is better the Nikon or the Kodak? The Nikon is regular $139.99 and the Kodak $169.00. Please anyone with any knowledge of both camera I need your input. Also what is the difference between Digital zoom and Optical zoom? Edited by peekaboo

I purchased the Nikon S203 Digital camera from Target (to pm on Firday) it is 10 mp and 3X optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. Now this week I seen the Kodak Easy Share with 12mp, 5X optical zoom and 5X Digital zoom for $10.00 more at Best Buy . This camera is for my DD. She has a cheap kodak camera I got for her a few years ago and she wants one with a better zoom. I am wondering which camera is better the Nikon or the Kodak? The Nikon is regular $139.99 and the Kodak $169.00. Please anyone with any knowledge of both camera I need your input. Also what is the difference between Digital zoom and Optical zoom?

Not sure of the difference you are asking about but I can offer this -- we have purchased our dd 2 different Kodak cameras previously and they BOTH are a piece of you know what. The (supposed) rechargeable battery loses charge and is now at point where she can charge the battery and that is enough power to turn on the camera and then it shuts down. UGH! I think she actually used the first camera for about a month before this started, and the second camera for about a week or two!

I'd take the Kodak. Optical zoom actually zooms in the distance between you and your subject while digital zoom just crops off the edges of your picture and will make the picture have less pixels. For short, optical zoom good, digital zoom bad. I never even use the digital zoom on my camera. Hope that helps! :)

And you wouldn't have to worry about price matching! ;)

Keep the Nikon. Forget about the Kodak.

Digital Zoom is the computer within the camera zooming. Optical zoom is the actual lens zooming. You want more optical zoom than digital for better picture quality. Digital, to me personally, is worthless because if you print a digitally zoomed pic, it comes out grainy.

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorials/optical-digital-zoom/

I prefer Nikon cameras over Kodak cameras. I like the picture quality better on Nikon cameras (although my absolute favorite is Canon, Nikon is second). Your daughter might prefer the Kodak though, if that's what she's used to-some of the buttons and functions might be more familiar.

Kodak actually has some really good info on the differences in megapixels and zoom and all that (not just their cameras) that might help you determine what will work better.

Just curious, are Kodaks easy to use? I want to get my son a camera but he's only 6 and loves taking pictures. He's outgrown all the kid cameras so we're moving to a regular one. I thought I heard before that Kodaks were a little easier to use than other brands...but I can't remember where I heard that or if that is what I heard or something entirely different....

We have Canon SLR and some Kodak point and shoot's but wife wants a small compact camera for her purse, she said not over $100. Not familiar enough with these to make a good choice. Looking at Sony-Cyber Shot's, Nikon CoolPix, and Samsung's. Help please!!!

Well I have a Canon SLR too and one kid has a Samsung and the other has a Nikon - I think they both do well for Point-N-Shoots all things considering. If I was to buy one for me, I'd probably look at the Panasonic Lumix.

You might want to take a look at this site - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

If you scroll down about half was there are some comparisons from last Christmas season. Although the models have changed, it might give you an idea on waht to look for.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!