Do it Yourself Lay a Way

arci122

OK Why do we choose our stores based on if they have lay a way? I do my own plan, put a little money away each week or month and collect my reward points from my credit card and save them until November. That way I can choose which stores I shop at and can get better deals.

If you are worried about a place to hide the gifts, I swap with a few friends and grandparents and hide the stuff at their house.

What do you guys think?

I put money each week onto a gift card for BF and then I also set aside a little bit of cash as well. I save all my change and cash it in at coinstar in November for Amazon codes. I did like walmart layaway for "Santa" gifts since those are usually larger items and I would pay it all but about $10 when I put it in layaway and I would pay that when I picked it up. Otherwise I have a hall closet with a lock on it and everyone is told you open that door and anything that is yours will go back to the store with that money to be spent on me!! :)

I was going to put somethings on layaway the other day and then decided not to and just put the money that I would have spent on the weekly layaway a side each week and then going to get it on black friday. I also just get 25 a week in visa card from my sons school because they have them threw scrip and I thought that since I was helping the school that would be a good way to go and that way im not carrying cash and it doesn't seem like I have to save save save for that day! :)

I think stores offering layaway is a great idea. Good for you for thinking so far in advance to save monthly. Lots of people don't have that luxury, or are not that organized. What if you save your money for months and the product you want is out of stock by the time you have the money in hand?

As for hiding at friends and family ... My family lives in another state, and I certainly wouldn't ask friends to hide a 4 wheeler or large item at their house for a couple of months.

I don't think anyone said they would ONLY shop at stores who had layaway, just that it was a nice option for them.

I have always put $$ away during the year AND I always used WM's layaway, they would "hide" it for me and as long as it was in LAW I could get price adjustments without all the running around to different stores. It saved me alot of time/gas/stress during the holidays.

I know that since they've done away with it, instead of getting about 80% of my holiday business, I do very little shopping @ WM. Probably less than 10% of my gifts are bought there now.

When dd was young I saved money in a saving account then when layaway opened at ToysRUs for the holiday season I would purchase her gifts and use layaway to store them.

Being a single/divorced mom this worked great. I could shop at lunch time, store the toys until I was ready to pick them up and wrap them for Santa.

It would have been a hassle to drag gifts from the store to another house then to my house later. Layaway was a great option for me.

yes, toys r us does have layaway....i did not know that until i saw the post. So I went to their website. The only down side is that it is only available for larger or more expensive items it seems. But I am glad to see that they have it. I may have to go put my dd a kitchen on layaway.