Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

I hope this thread stays active, as posters share their hints and clearance finds at Target. I've been Perimeter Perusing Target for about three years now, and find it helps me get through from one BF to the following year.

As many of you know, the Brick and Mortar store Target is known for their terrific clearance deals. You may have noticed that although the sticker price, including the reddish orange clearance stickers, says one price, that many times the items scan for less. It could be better for you if the item is priced higher and does scan less. Many shoppers do not realize this and pass the item by. Also, many times an item is not marked clearance in any way and I would suggest if you are interested in an item that you take it to the nearest scanner and check the price that comes up.

The standard clearance at Target works by items being marked down 15% or 30% initially. This price can last somewhere between two weeks to a month, depending on how well the item sells at this price. Then the item typically drops to 50%, again for two weeks to a month. Generally, the lowest an item will be marked down is 75% off, with a few exceptions. Items considered 'holiday' or 'seasonal' items have been known to go as low as 90% after the holiday, and you will find a few occasional display items or things found in the stockroom after inventory marked 80%-90% off. Almost always, the lowest price an item will go will usually end in $.x4 or $.x8, but not always.

A markdown schedule for the seasonal or holiday clearance is as follows:

Traditional Holiday clearance schedule

50% off day after holiday for three days

75% off fourth day after holiday for three days

90% off seventh day after holiday for 1-2 days.

Other than Chr-stmas this is the schedule used for holiday clearance, including Valentine's Day, Easter, Summerville, and Halloween, for at least the last two years

Also, Target is the only store I have found where many, although not all, of the cashiers seem to have the ability to bargain on a price when an item doesn't scan with one. There are times when an item will scan as 'clearance + tax'. Be happy in these situations instead of groaning. Sometimes the cashier can do a price over ride sort of thing to find the most recent lowest price, but sometimes if you say 'I'll take it for (whatever 75% off the marked retail price would be)' they'll just key that in. It's always worth a shot. Same thing applies for an item that scans 'NOF' (Not on file). This means the item is so old that it is completely out of the computer system. Again, I would try offering the 75% off the retail price, but if necessary a price can usually be looked up at the Guest Services Desk. However, if an item has gone 'salvage,' this may backfire on you. In this instance, Target marks the item back up to full retail value, before pulling it from the shelves and donating it to a charity, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army for a tax write off. this is how Target claims to donate so much to charity.

The markdown teams in each store seems to keep to a standardized schedule, but there are stores that seem to have different ones. For those who do follow it the departmental mark down days are:

------- Mark Down Schedule -------

-Mon. -- Electronics, Kids Clothing and Stationary (Cards, GiftWrap, etc.)

-Tues. -- Domestics, Women's Clothing, Pets and Market (food items)

-Wed. -- Men's Clothing, Toys, Health and Beauty, Lawn & Garden items

-Thur. -- House Wares, Lingerie, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Movies, Music, Books, Decor and Luggage

-Fri. -- Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, & Jewelry

This schedule says nothing about weekend mark downs, but I have seen items change in price between a Saturday morning perimeter perusal and one done on a Sunday afternoon. I still haven't found any rhyme or reason to what gets marked down on those days though. Another part of the fun.

Go to Target.com and see if there are any updates about new Target openings.

Target does not have a lay-a-way, but diehard Perimeter Perusers have tried various methods of getting around this. Most are constantly debated on the various forums dedicated to this subject as far as being 'ethical' or not, I'll leave it for you to decide for yourself.

When an item goes 50% off, and there are several left, some posters have said they find a 'hiding' place to put the item and they go back to see if the item is still there several weeks later to scan and see if it dropped in price. Some common hiding places shared is:

In the middle of a round clothes rack, where all of the clothes hide the item.

About a third of the way off the floor of a stack of pillows.

Behind similar items, perhaps with newer packaging, on the proper shelf.

Sometimes, when items are getting scarce at 50% off, posters will buy them at that price and hold on to the receipt. If they find the item later at 75% or 90% off, they will buy the item again, remove any clearance stickers that show the lower price, and return the item at another time with the older, higher priced receipt, as long as it is within the 90 day return period.

Target initiated a new return policy in November of 2002 that says any 'seasonal' clearance items returned will be refunded at the current clearance price, even with a receipt! They updated the policy in April, 2003 to specify these items as Chr-stmas trees and decorations and Hallowe'en costumes and decorations. As far as I know, all other seasonal merchandise should be refunded at the price stated on the reciept.

Other web sites to visit to find listed bargains are:

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

I hope y'all find this information helpful, and would love to know of other Perimeter Perusers tricks that I may not have covered!

I just learned something new on a different forum devoted to Target. I've now that the Target website puts out coupons to be printed and used at their SuperTarget stores, but I didn't know that if a regular Target carried the item you could use that coupon, a coupon from a Target circular if one happens to be out, and a manufacturers coupon all at the same time on one item. So, you can stack all three coupons on one item at either a Super or regular Target.

Here an online site to print off SuperTarget coupons.

Super Target Coupons

Some times Wow coupons has target coupons to print off as well, but they seem to not have any at the moment.

I hope this thread stays active, as posters share their hints and clearance finds at Target. I've been Perimeter Perusing Target for about three years now, and find it helps me get through from one BF to the following year.

As many of you know, the Brick and Mortar store Target is known for their terrific clearance deals. You may have noticed that although the sticker price, including the reddish orange clearance stickers, says one price, that many times the items scan for less. It could be better for you if the item is priced higher and does scan less. Many shoppers do not realize this and pass the item by. Also, many times an item is not marked clearance in any way and I would suggest if you are interested in an item that you take it to the nearest scanner and check the price that comes up.

The standard clearance at Target works by items being marked down 15% or 30% initially. This price can last somewhere between two weeks to a month, depending on how well the item sells at this price. Then the item typically drops to 50%, again for two weeks to a month. Generally, the lowest an item will be marked down is 75% off, with a few exceptions. Items considered 'holiday' or 'seasonal' items have been known to go as low as 90% after the holiday, and you will find a few occasional display items or things found in the stockroom after inventory marked 80%-90% off. Almost always, the lowest price an item will go will usually end in $.x4 or $.x8, but not always.

Other than Chr-stmas this is the schedule used for holiday clearance, including Valentine's Day, Easter, Summerville, and Halloween, for at least the last two years

Also, Target is the only store I have found where many, although not all, of the cashiers seem to have the ability to bargain on a price when an item doesn't scan with one. There are times when an item will scan as 'clearance + tax'. Be happy in these situations instead of groaning. Sometimes the cashier can do a price over ride sort of thing to find the most recent lowest price, but sometimes if you say 'I'll take it for (whatever 75% off the marked retail price would be)' they'll just key that in. It's always worth a shot. Same thing applies for an item that scans 'NOF' (Not on file). This means the item is so old that it is completely out of the computer system. Again, I would try offering the 75% off the retail price, but if necessary a price can usually be looked up at the Guest Services Desk. However, if an item has gone 'salvage,' this may backfire on you. In this instance, Target marks the item back up to full retail value, before pulling it from the shelves and donating it to a charity, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army for a tax write off. this is how Target claims to donate so much to charity.

The markdown teams in each store seems to keep to a standardized schedule, but there are stores that seem to have different ones. For those who do follow it the departmental mark down days are:

-Thur. -- House Wares, Lingerie, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Movies, Music, Books, Decor and Luggage

This schedule says nothing about weekend mark downs, but I have seen items change in price between a Saturday morning perimeter perusal and one done on a Sunday afternoon. I still haven't found any rhyme or reason to what gets marked down on those days though. Another part of the fun.

Target does not have a lay-a-way, but diehard Perimeter Perusers have tried various methods of getting around this. Most are constantly debated on the various forums dedicated to this subject as far as being 'ethical' or not, I'll leave it for you to decide for yourself.

When an item goes 50% off, and there are several left, some posters have said they find a 'hiding' place to put the item and they go back to see if the item is still there several weeks later to scan and see if it dropped in price. Some common hiding places shared is:

Sometimes, when items are getting scarce at 50% off, posters will buy them at that price and hold on to the receipt. If they find the item later at 75% or 90% off, they will buy the item again, remove any clearance stickers that show the lower price, and return the item at another time with the older, higher priced receipt, as long as it is within the 90 day return period.

Target initiated a new return policy in November of 2002 that says any 'seasonal' clearance items returned will be refunded at the current clearance price, even with a receipt! They updated the policy in April, 2003 to specify these items as Chr-stmas trees and decorations and Hallowe'en costumes and decorations. As far as I know, all other seasonal merchandise should be refunded at the price stated on the reciept.

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

I hope y'all find this information helpful, and would love to know of other Perimeter Perusers tricks that I may not have covered!

I just learned something new on a different forum devoted to Target. I've now that the Target website puts out coupons to be printed and used at their SuperTarget stores, but I didn't know that if a regular Target carried the item you could use that coupon, a coupon from a Target circular if one happens to be out, and a manufacturers coupon all at the same time on one item. So, you can stack all three coupons on one item at either a Super or regular Target.

Super Target Coupons

Some times Wow coupons has target coupons to print off as well, but they seem to not have any at the moment.

A reminder that this thread is for discussing Target clearance deals ONLY! Off-topic chit-chat will be deleted without warning. Please keep this thread useful and eliminate the need to sort through the non-Target chatter to find the latest clearance finds. Thanks.

- Brad

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

• 1 year later...

I also noticed ALOT of toys on flatbed carts getting ready to be shipped off, the employee I spoke with said that they are going to start shipping more out and marking down less. :yuck:

Obvioulsy they are selling to a discount store ie. Big Lots, Building 19 etc..and getting more money that way. They *claim* they donate it but she told me today they resell.

Anybody know why the glade and renuzit plug-in fragrance refills (the x-mas ones) are not ringing any percentage off this year? I usually hit all my stores and buy them out at 75% off because they don't move them out of the smelly aisle and i get em cheap. This year none of their fragrance refills are ringing up as Christmas. I hit 3 stores in Chicago. Maybe it's just in the city? Anyone? I am very sad about this.[/QUOT

I scanned them here too and nope not 75% off. I got some last year also for 75 off

Anybody know why the glade and renuzit plug-in fragrance refills (the x-mas ones) are not ringing any percentage off this year? I usually hit all my stores and buy them out at 75% off because they don't move them out of the smelly aisle and i get em cheap. This year none of their fragrance refills are ringing up as Christmas. I hit 3 stores in Chicago. Maybe it's just in the city? Anyone? I am very sad about this.[/QUOT

I scanned them here too and nope not 75% off. I got some last year also for 75 off

I got some of the glade scented oil Glistening Snow for 50% off at my local Dillons (Kroger). It smells pretty good - just FYI, LOL.

We have the employees getting the goods discussion periodically and people are split. When I arrived at the store that was going 75% the other day, and I knew to expect it so I was there as the doors opened, the entire overnight team was walking away from the Christmas section with carts full to overflowing, moving to the registers to pay. So, it was pretty clear who got the best stuff at that store.

We have the employees getting the goods discussion periodically and people are split. When I arrived at the store that was going 75% the other day, and I knew to expect it so I was there as the doors opened, the entire overnight team was walking away from the Christmas section with carts full to overflowing, moving to the registers to pay. So, it was pretty clear who got the best stuff at that store.

They should have to wait until the doors open to put stuff in carts, like a regular customer would have to.

I'm also split on this. A few years back I worked at a discount clothing store doing markdowns and we always pushed a basket around with us to keep our tags and other supplies in, while we were scanning we would just put the stuff we wanted in the cart until the end of the shift and pay for it then. So now as a customer it kinda sucks to know that the employees are getting the good deals, but as an employee it is awesome to get in on them too.

Federal Way Washington - 75% this morning

Loads of stuff left. I had checked out the Kent store a couple of days ago, Federal Way was definitely better.

Picked up a couple lighted deer, paper, nuts, two pack of Christmas (???) deodorant, and the Armour All gift set. There were plenty of cookie sets, twin comforter/shams, trees, ornaments, paper - 3-4 aisles worth.

I felt bad for the cashier. She asked me if there were any of the Armour All sets left - I told her TWO. I offered to grab one for her, she said she couldn't, she'd have to wait for break. I can see it both ways. It would be tough to sit and watch people grab those deals and not have a chance to buy any of it.

So, should I have wrestled her to the ground for my paper towels? Should she have had the right to take them??? Inquiring minds want to know!

:gddrama:.)

Which store was this? I would be irritated only because you already asked if those were items going back on the shelf and she said that you could get whatever you wanted from the cart. I understand your anger. :mad:

So, last night I was asking whether or not anyone has had a store go 75% off the night before. I was just too lazy to get out last night, so I didn't check. Then this morning I thought about calling work and telling them I'd be late so I could go get what I wanted from the Olathe ST. Decided that seemed wrong and I don't need bad karma. I figured if it was meant to be, I'd get them during my lunch. What I wanted was some of the digital ornaments. They had quite a few but they were in an aisle near makeup and picture frames instead of with xmas. I thought this would help my luck. So I go in around 1:00 (during my lunch hour) and go right to the aisle, but everything in the aisle had been replaced with new product! Gasp!!! I go to the back where christmas was, and in the first aisle I turn down, there they were!!! YEAH!!!! I was SOOO freakin excited!!!

Which store was this? I would be irritated only because you already asked if those were items going back on the shelf and she said that you could get whatever you wanted from the cart. I understand your anger. :mad:

!

It was Ward Pkwy. I'm over it. It just didn't seem right to me. (course the shelf stockers are probably saying the same thing.) DH says I should have hip checked her and hit her on the head with a candy cane yard ornament. (HE TOTALLY DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE SALE SHOPPING THING I DO AND MOCKS ME WHENEVER HE CAN.:rolleyes:)

I was at Olathe at 9:30 this morning. It seemed very picked over to me. You don't think they went to 75% off mid day yesterday, do you? UGH. People have talked about that happening, but it has never happened to me around here. I hope they don't start doing that! I don't shop the Olathe ST very much at all, so I didn't really know what they had left. Did they have a lot yesterday when you were there? It seemed very sparce at 9:30.

so does anyone think we'll see 90% tomorrow? my store has been 75% for 3 days now and they still have about 8 aisles left. should i be there at opening to find out?

Oh boy, I can't imagine that it will be 90% tomorrow. 'Course I was very surprised that they didn't even carry 50% off through at least one weekend day shopping crowd. So, maybe they are quite desperate to get this stuff outta their stores! I'm thinking maybe Saturday for 90%... ???

My feeling, and at least one employee I spoke with thought so too, is that the stores that went 75% on Friday will go 90% tomorrow. They are itching to set Global Bazaar, so I tend to agree that it will happen.

What stinks for me is that I am trapped at home by the Rose Parade until at least mid-afternoon. I could probably get out, but I couldn't get back in. We are about mid-way down the route, so it runs till about 11am or noon. Then the traffic has to clear out with everyone leaving. Oh well, I really only want to get wrapping paper and ribbons. I think the other store here in town won't go 90% till Wednesday, so I'll have to settle for that.

I went in today to my Target (Kentwood, MI) and they were FINALLY at 75% and I was able to snag my PEACE stocking holder for $7.49 (originally $29.99). I almost snagged it at 50% because I really needed a stocking holder for 5, but I held out and got the last one today!

So, last night I was asking whether or not anyone has had a store go 75% off the night before. I was just too lazy to get out last night, so I didn't check. Then this morning I thought about calling work and telling them I'd be late so I could go get what I wanted from the Olathe ST. Decided that seemed wrong and I don't need bad karma. I figured if it was meant to be, I'd get them during my lunch. What I wanted was some of the digital ornaments. They had quite a few but they were in an aisle near makeup and picture frames instead of with xmas. I thought this would help my luck. So I go in around 1:00 (during my lunch hour) and go right to the aisle, but everything in the aisle had been replaced with new product! Gasp!!! I go to the back where christmas was, and in the first aisle I turn down, there they were!!! YEAH!!!! I was SOOO freakin excited!!!

Lucky....i been wanting those ornament forever!! but I doubt there will be any left at the store at my place:no:

My store went 75% off on Saturday so I'm going to be there early in the morning praying that they went to 90% off. They still had a bunch of cabbage patch dolls, trees, wrapping paper, lights, boxes, and christmas bags when I was there on Sunday so I'm hoping to get what I want. My husband told me I couldn't buy a tree until they went 90% off, so, I'm packing up my 2 little one's (almost 20 months and almost 2 months) and we'll be there with bells on!!:yup:

I also noticed ALOT of toys on flatbed carts getting ready to be shipped off, the employee I spoke with said that they are going to start shipping more out and marking down less. :yuck:

Obvioulsy they are selling to a discount store ie. Big Lots, Building 19 etc..and getting more money that way. They *claim* they donate it but she told me today they resell.

Funny, I was just thinking this today, my local Big Lots had an entire endcap of the college dorm kitchen sets everyone was scoring on here really cheap a while back but my Target (about 1 hour away) never discounted past 30% off and they came into Big Lots with Target price tags right next to the $20.00 Big Lots tags.....

I know many people who worked retail. Most managers I know give their employees the chance to shop markdowns before customers. To me it is more of a bonus for them working where they do. Every job has its benefits.

And ya know... I agree. I do think that they just need to wheel it on back to the stockroom quietly before it becomes "visibly available" to the customers. Nothing looks worse than an employee yanking something away from a customer. If she wanted them, then she should have just quietly taken them back to a place where she could later buy them. She didn't even know they were in her cart when she was working the aisle and then sort of tried to be a little sneaky about it... I get sneakiness... sometimes I even admire it! But, trying to tell me that they were on hold for someone was silly! She probably didn't like it when I giggled at that and said, "for who, YOU?"

Oh well, I can't complain. I had such nice cashiers yesterday and was extremely lucky. I think every one of them took a happy pill before coming to work yesterday! :)

Hackensack, NJ store at 75% (closed on Sundays, so sale started today). Pretty picked over- but TONS and I mean TONs of candy. Never saw so much left.Employee said they were stuck with more candy this Christmas and Halloween then ever before. Hoping they go 90 and have some candy left in a few days ---some of it at 75% still seemed like a lot. (2.50 for 5 oz of Hershey cocao)

We went 75% on sunday, so don't know what the chances are of 90% off tomorrow.. Not much candy left but loads and loads and loads of lights...,. and ornaments, ect.

On employee purchases.. if it bugs you that much, you can always get a retail job :).. personally, they can have it, and they are welcome to that little perk too!!!!