How early do you go to get the Thanksgiving Day paper?

MarkRaby

My paper will be waiting at my front door when I wake up. ;) We only get Sunday papers delivered, but my newspaper delivers holiday papers too, included in the price of Sunday delivery. Makes it easy.

And can I ask what is so difficult about price-matching? The rant against it was very interesting to read--I enjoyed getting a retail point of view--but I don't understand WHY you hate price matching. Is it time-consuming? Difficult to enter in your register somehow? Is it just the long lines? I don't understand. I've never price matched so I don't really know much about the process.

Price matching is just a hassle. You do have to go through a few hoops in the cash register's software, as well as fill out a little bit of paperwork (that eventually has to be signed by a manager at our store). This holds up the lines. It's normally no big deal on regular days when we're doing nothing but on a day like Black Friday its extremley frustrating.

I am glad I can provide you guys with the other side of the counter view. I'm as much of a shopper as employee though and the main reason I came onto this site was to find good deals myself, but if anyone has any questions about how things work on the other side feel free to ask. :-)

Price matching is just a hassle. You do have to go through a few hoops in the cash register's software, as well as fill out a little bit of paperwork (that eventually has to be signed by a manager at our store). This holds up the lines. It's normally no big deal on regular days when we're doing nothing but on a day like Black Friday its extremley frustrating.

I am glad I can provide you guys with the other side of the counter view. I'm as much of a shopper as employee though and the main reason I came onto this site was to find good deals myself, but if anyone has any questions about how things work on the other side feel free to ask. :-)

Something else that holds up the lines are the people who are using a debt card and act like they have never used one before they got there! And the ones who have to dig out the exact to the penny change wayyyy down at the bottom of their purse. :curse: Or then there are the ones that argue about the price of something even when the Ad is shown to them!

I have no interest in reading the paper portion.

Remember - as I've noted elsewhere - many Department Stores (such as JC Penney, Macy's, etc) take out multipage ads IN the paper - including valuable % off coupons!! Also some local type stores may ONLY advertise in the paper. I encourage everyone to read newspapers, but I highly recommend that you at least quickly glance at the pages for great deals!! :yup:

This is my first black friday so excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions :P

The newspaper actually sells out? So if I go to a QFC or the like at 6am, I might not get one?

This whole BF thing is completely crazy to a foreigner like me! The worst we have in Australia is the after-xmas sales and you'd probably see 50 people tops lined up at opening and nothing sells out... hehe, but I love it. After all, friends don't let friends pay retail!!

The newspaper's main office and printing press is just a couple of miles from my house. Since they have a rack out front I can usually get the newspaper about 3am or 4am on Thanksgiving day. The racks around town usually get filled up about 4-5am, and I think the carriers deadline for delivering them to the houses in my area is about 7am for Sunday and holiday papers, although mine is usually here by 6am.

It seems like I do remember getting K-Mart and Big Lots (stores that are open on Thanksgiving day) ads on Wedensday.

As to the hassle of price matching...I don't remember which store it was, but they had to call the store that they were going to price match and verify that the other store had the item in stock, and would only price match if it were in stock at the other store (that's a hassle). I can only remember price matching one time, and it wasn't on BF, so I can only imagine how long it would take on BF. Try calling Best Buy on a normal shopping day and see how long it takes them to answer the phone...if they answer at all.

Does anyone know which stores do price matching?

And what their procedure is (what hoops do you have to jump through)?

Or...which stores are the most cutomer friendly when it comes to price matching?

walmart aggravating me last night. I was online at walmart and saw they lowered their Video Now Color systmes to only $49.77. I bought it there for $62. (Less than 2 weeks ago). I called customer service for the online sales and the girls said they could price match but hold on. I waiting for a couple of minutes and she comes back and says her supervisor said they would price adjust (their own online store) because it was 2 weeks since I bought it. She told me to return my origonal one as long as I had my receipt (which I do) and re-buy another one. I bought another one and Im off today to return this other one, but this is one big hassle!!! I thought it was 30 days to price adjust.

The night before Thanksgiving I have to work until 3:00am at the grocery store so since they get the inserts earlier than the paper - I will buy the inserts before I leave (I do that ever Sunday too) since I have no interest in reading the paper portion.

Where about in the finger lakes do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Its the day before Black Friday and all the through the house, I am looking for Ads without my spouse. My Uncle has hid them as a usually rouse, to get me to beg for the those inserts to use. My cousins and I begin to look at all of the deals, oh what a steal. The lists begin to fly the planning has begun. Some will go south, north, east and west.. to hit all the stores including my spouse. Who gets the kids, each year its a game to keep them away from the mounds of things. By 10 am we are all at home, pens are clicking to see what we owe. I owe you ten dollars but what is this year, I picked up the latest gadget for you my dear. Twenty dollars it was you now owe me ten lets got through out lists all over again. The sun has now shown and dollars all cleared, its not time for Bed... Can't wait till next year.

Okay so its corny but we have this tradition. We go to my aunts each year and my uncle and I have this thing about the ads. He hides them on me each year and I have to go and search for them (even though I have usually bought my own paper). My cousins and I pour through the ads making list of all we want at each store. We divide the stores up and everyone gets what everyone else wants Then we come back to my aunts house and try to figure out what we each owe each other. I think my aunt and uncle get a bigger kick at watching us do this. The funniest part is passing the kids around. If one is going to a store that opens at 5 the person at the 6am opening has the kids and then the 5 am person comes and gets them from the 6am person so that the kids don't have a clue as to what we are buying. It is amazing we have not lost a kid yet.

Anyway... I am very dissapointed at most of the sales but I am sure I will be able to find some things.

Have fun everyone!!

Rossman... Thanks for the Great Site and all the work that you do