GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Another month, and not much has changed.  At least its cooled off a bit so I can make a few trips to storage and do some cleaning.  It gives me a chance to go out and not be around people, and find stuff I forgot I still had. Hope to make a few more trips this week before it warms back up.

I live in a fairly small town and I’m thinking I’m going to stay in town and shop local stores this year instead of going to the nearest big city like usual to avoid the craziness. I’m sure I’ll order some stuff online too. 

• Like 1

Not really a fan of Club Memberships, but ZDNet Academy is offering a one year Sam's Club membership for $40 that includes $45 in gift cards ($25 immediately and $20 20 days after first purchase). 

Another bullet in the chamber for this unusual Black Friday season...

https://www.cnet.com/news/pay-40-for-a-sams-club-membership-get-45-in-gift-cards/

Happy Shopping!

• Like 2

Awesome idea!

They would need to be effective ones for me to feel safe using them, though. Most of the decorative ones I've seen don't measure up to my safety standards.

At least double layer cotton, with either a pocket for inserting a blue shop towel filter, or sewn in washable interfacing, is preferred.

My mask maker, Susan's Sewing,Embroidery, and Digitizing on Facebook has done bulk orders. I'm uncertain whether she can get custom printed material with the GottaDeal logo, though. You would have to discuss that with her.

These are bulk masks she made for the military. I prefer the sculpted form fitting masks, but sizes need to be specified for those.

FB-IMG-1593491758654.jpg

If the link doesn't work, you can do a search on Facebook for the page, select the one with the profile picture which says "bubby."

I wear a surgical mask under the decorative ones, if I’m going to be near people for an extended time.

• Like 1

I got my letter today. They eliminated my job. Oh well. Back on the job hunt but it will be ok

August 1st! Let’s hope this month brings nothing but good days.

Oh wow. Sorry. Hopefully something better comes your way.

I know a lot of people who have gotten the bad end of all this. Like those who worked through the shut downs and didn’t get the extra $2400 and now because of unrelated illnesses are being penalized for using sick time.

We had an interesting week over here in Tempe. Last week we lost a part of our Union Pacific freight train rail bridge which has stood over Tempe Town Lake for over a hundred years when a few cab cars carrying lumber and hazzardous materials derailed, collapsed and engulfed the tracks in flames causing traffic delays and evacuations. Yesterday morning at 8:15 a.m. in a very cool effort they imploded (KABOOM!) the remains of the south end of the damaged bridge so they can replace it ASAP and continue our normal goods imports/exports.

Watch the Union Pacific rail bridge fire here:

And see the demolition of the damaged remains here:

So sorry for those being laid off or still haven't got their jobs back :( On the bright side you can get a free month of CBS All Access :)

The year is flying by and dragging, simultaneously.  July brought a couple of hockey camps our way, still working from home (and DH, too).  Our little guy (age 9) ended up having to have the nose swab Covid test in early July, but his results thankfully came back negative.  We just heard that my job is implementing furloughs for up to 10 business days by the end of the year.  I am maxed out on vacation time, so it's going to be tough to fit in all of the furlough days as well as mandatory vacation and still get my projects done.

August is typically the month that the big Christmas planning kicks off in our house.  I don't have any major home improvement plans for the fall, but I'll find a way to make a fuss somehow :)  It's also the month for our state fair, which was canceled for this year. I'm normally a fair junkie, but I'm sure that my cholesterol levels will be happier this year!  lol

Back to school has been postponed for us by a week, half-days in the classroom and virtual the rest of the time.  No in-classroom on Fridays, so I'm planning some 3 day weekends.  Hockey season is still a "go" for now, but I'm expecting that to get canceled, or drastically changed, any minute. What a weird year, for sure. 

• Like 2

Checking in for August and maybe we’ll see you there, riven3d??? One of my best friends lives close enough to do the same, so I’m taking a road trip down from MI, picking up our third amigo on my way through in SC, and we’re headed to the track. No hotels required - we’ll be crashing with her and her family, so exposure risks are minimal. We all decided it was worth taking the chance.

Meanwhile, still mainly working from home here. That said, boss, coworker, and I literally pulled an all-nighter this past Monday (my “shift” was 21 hours from time I walked into office to time I walked out) to crank on a software reflash project that went from “oh as long as we finish half the units by the end of this week, we’ll be fine” to “by the way, the customer just told us they need them all by COB Wednesday” on Monday afternoon. (Not even kidding.) Caffeine was our friend and three of us was the right number to pull it off. Boss’s boss is now very pissed at the team that dumped this on us and will be giving the three of us a couple comp days each to make up for it.

The best part of this past week, though, was lunch with my “little” brother on Monday (shortly before I found out we’d need to work all night). I hadn’t seen him face to face in at least 5 or 6 years. Bear hugs freely given, pandemic be d***ed. Selfie taken to show dad we did, in fact get together. Good, good, times... [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]

8a88bc6f4945810cdc16e66e020d3f3a.jpg

Hope all of my GDers are staying healthy. Much love to all as we keep navigating this crazy time we’re living in.

let me know my seats are in 171 row 2. Make sure you look up the rules for what your allowed to take in I had a good laugh I can take a bag of ice in but not a cooler lol
  • Like 1

Happy August! Can't believe the summer has flown by so quickly.

The past several months have been a blur. With all the staff layoffs we had in April, those of us left are doing our best to keep up working 4 days a week (and grateful to still have jobs). I remember how stressful it was at first, but interestingly enough, being in a constant state of stress feels normal now - not healthy, I'm sure, but what are you going to do? Hugs to those of you who have lost jobs. My heart breaks for you. Our mayor just issued a one month reset and rolled back restrictions to phase 2 until the end of the month. So tired of going backwards. I need some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hang in there everyone and enjoy the rest of your summer.

• Like 1

Something really cool happened last month.  I really like the Amazon Recast whole house DVR.  Besides streaming and recording OTA, the Recast has a grid style program guide that integrates OTT services.  Until July, those services were limited to Philo and Pluto plus Prime Channels.  In July, Amazon opened the guide to Sling TV, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV...

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2020/07/08/fire-tv-channel-guide/

• Like 1

Checking in for August. 

I returned to my office in Manhattan yesterday for the first time since March.  Working from home again today and the rest of the week.  Thankful that I have had steady work, but sympathetic to  those who have lost jobs or income, or got sick.

I'll take one of those GottaDeal masks, however they are made!  And as others have noted, most any mask can be put over a surgical mask if you want more filtering.

Ahhhhh August... I've been working from home since April 1st and our recent town hall via Zoom was to inform us that my company doesn't know when they are bringing us back to the building... I'm ok with that, lol, I am blessed to still have 2 jobs (I work p/t at a box store)... oh and sell $5 jewelry on the side as well (this business has been thriving during this whole pandemic so if anyone is interested...)...but I'm so sorry to hear of those who have lost their jobs during this time [emoji17]...
  • Like 1

let me know my seats are in 171 row 2. Make sure you look up the rules for what your allowed to take in I had a good laugh I can take a bag of ice in but not a cooler lol

We’re in 172, row 7. [emoji16]

Will definitely be looking at that list. I know they were still working on finalizing it when I last checked. Good to know it’s at least up for us to look at. lol

My town hasn't been to work since March.  Everyone's getting full pay, but no one shows up to work.  In April, the town sent out post cards reminding people that it was unlawful to not license pets and provided instructions for doing so online.  The cards were bright orange with the title, 'AVOID FINES!' across the top of the front of the card.  I emailed the town's tax collector that my dog had died and asked if I needed to do something to AVOID FINES!  She said I was all set.

Last night, while preparing dinner, I heard a knock at the door.  Local police going door to door collecting pet license fees.  I offered to dig up the dog if he needed evidence of his passing.  The guy was polite and apologetic.  He obviously was uncomfortable with the task.

This town was thoughtful enough to send out instructions for registering vehicles online -- a method that included a service charge and -- if you could not pay by ACH -- a surcharge.  Same for real estate taxes.

So we managed to collect auto registration fees, real estate taxes, and pet taxes without the town's tax collector, deputy tax collector, clerk, or deputy clerk going to work.  Seems like we could probably eliminate at least three of those patronage positions and use the savings to offset the fees and surcharges for online payment.

Government sucks.

• Like 3

Checking in for August. Normally we would be getting ready to start school but last year before any of the COVID came up they had decided to start back after Labor Day. We are doing remote learning for my daughter this year at least for the first semester we will see how things are then and determine what is best for her and her health issues.

Don't think I haven't been thinking about it. Even got some custom fabric samples in:

63VUbtF.jpg

Like Gator Pam said, the main thing that would keep me from doing them is that everyone has their own favorite style/size/material and so it's tough to have a universal style that will work for everyone, and I don't want them to just sit in a drawer because people don't like wearing them. I have a big stack of various masks myself that I bought that didn't work for me.

So I'll probably just have a very small quantity made in a couple sizes and those who want them can get one and that'll be it.

No t-shirts this year (at least not new designs). This isn't going to be a "real" Black Friday and so it's not really something I want to celebrate with a shirt. Instead I'm going to do something else involving "vintage" shirts and other merch from my archives (of which I have plenty). More on that in about a month.

I LOVE THIS 

• Like 1

Okay I am back.....Well at least for a couple weeks. I have been back in school and this summer semester kicked my butt. Well the Calculus class. I am so happy I am over it, took final exam last night, didn't make the grade I wanted but I escaped the class with a B by the grace of God. 

• Like 4

My town hasn't been to work since March. Everyone's getting full pay, but no one shows up to work. In April, the town sent out post cards reminding people that it was unlawful to not license pets and provided instructions for doing so online. The cards were bright orange with the title, 'AVOID FINES!' across the top of the front of the card. I emailed the town's tax collector that my dog had died and asked if I needed to do something to AVOID FINES! She said I was all set.

Last night, while preparing dinner, I heard a knock at the door. Local police going door to door collecting pet license fees. I offered to dig up the dog if he needed evidence of his passing. The guy was polite and apologetic. He obviously was uncomfortable with the task.

This town was thoughtful enough to send out instructions for registering vehicles online -- a method that included a service charge and -- if you could not pay by ACH -- a surcharge. Same for real estate taxes.

So we managed to collect auto registration fees, real estate taxes, and pet taxes without the town's tax collector, deputy tax collector, clerk, or deputy clerk going to work. Seems like we could probably eliminate at least three of those patronage positions and use the savings to offset the fees and surcharges for online payment.

Government sucks.

Got to love that they have their priorities straight.
  • Like 2

I'm so glad it's Friday.  I work for a small company. My industry is extremely busy right now, so a lot of the bigger, nationwide, companies are hiring out the wazzoo. Of course, they are offering more pay and permanent work from home options, so I've had 2 people give notice this week and a third had to be offered the moon to stay.  The thing is, we aren't going to stay this busy. It will slow down in a couple months and all these big companies are going to have big lay offs.  I honestly care about my employees and I worry about them stepping into that.

In the mean time, I told my boss she's stuck with me unless and until I win the lottery.  :2dollar:  LOL

• Like 3