GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Gonna do my best to remember each month to at least stop in and say hi! I've truly enjoyed chatting with everyone throughout the year, even when I've missed a month, though. It's like hanging out in the living room with friends all year long. :)

That said, I'm entering this Christmas season over 125 lbs lighter than I was two years ago and I feel better than I think I ever have as an adult. I went digging through my closet recently to see if I had *any* dresses that would fit for the work Christmas party this year. I went all the way back to the high school prom dress my mom made for me. Nope. Even *that* one's TOO BIG! Crazy! I just wish Mom were still here for me to show her. I know she'd be proud that I finally kicked my butt in gear and got myself into better shape before the health problems (joint pain, sleep issues, etc) manifested to a point of no return. Doc's thrilled with my progress and, while I still have some weight to lose, my tests are coming back solid, numbers-wise. Good stuff. Doc has told me not to worry - these last 30-40 lbs will take far longer to lose than the first 40 did. That kind of encouragement means the world. 

With the start of November, I'm doing my yearly "30 days of thankfulness" on my personal facebook page. Not only does it keep me mindful of the many, many things I have to be thankful for, it's fun seeing friends pop on and comment with their blessings in their lives.

Today I re-shared what I first wrote six years ago because I truly believe it is even more true today than it was then:

"I am thankful for my friends. I have many that are so close as to be called my "extended family". Some of them I've known for many years. Others, I never would have imagined I'd be that close to - my brothers from another mother that work on NASCAR's pit road. Much love and many thanks to all of you, my friends. You are all special to me in your own ways."

As the years go by, the bonds get stronger. I've moved from calling my NASCAR guys "brothers from another mother" (though that definitely still applies) to calling them my "track family" because they truly are. One, I even know most of his family. Heck, I'm closer to his older brother than I am to him these days. Crazy how life shakes out. Truly. 

This applies to many of you here in GD-land as well. Thank you for all the fun and joy you bring into my life. We are as much a family here bonded by love (and love of SALES! Ha!) as just about any other community I find myself in. To say I am incredibly blessed is an understatement. :) 

• Like 7

Gonna do my best to remember each month to at least stop in and say hi! I've truly enjoyed chatting with everyone throughout the year, even when I've missed a month, though. It's like hanging out in the living room with friends all year long. :)

That said, I'm entering this Christmas season over 125 lbs lighter than I was two years ago and I feel better than I think I ever have as an adult. I went digging through my closet recently to see if I had *any* dresses that would fit for the work Christmas party this year. I went all the way back to the high school prom dress my mom made for me. Nope. Even *that* one's TOO BIG! Crazy! I just wish Mom were still here for me to show her. I know she'd be proud that I finally kicked my butt in gear and got myself into better shape before the health problems (joint pain, sleep issues, etc) manifested to a point of no return. Doc's thrilled with my progress and, while I still have some weight to lose, my tests are coming back solid, numbers-wise. Good stuff. Doc has told me not to worry - these last 30-40 lbs will take far longer to lose than the first 40 did. That kind of encouragement means the world. 

With the start of November, I'm doing my yearly "30 days of thankfulness" on my personal facebook page. Not only does it keep me mindful of the many, many things I have to be thankful for, it's fun seeing friends pop on and comment with their blessings in their lives.

Today I re-shared what I first wrote six years ago because I truly believe it is even more true today than it was then:

"I am thankful for my friends. I have many that are so close as to be called my "extended family". Some of them I've known for many years. Others, I never would have imagined I'd be that close to - my brothers from another mother that work on NASCAR's pit road. Much love and many thanks to all of you, my friends. You are all special to me in your own ways."

As the years go by, the bonds get stronger. I've moved from calling my NASCAR guys "brothers from another mother" (though that definitely still applies) to calling them my "track family" because they truly are. One, I even know most of his family. Heck, I'm closer to his older brother than I am to him these days. Crazy how life shakes out. Truly. 

This applies to many of you here in GD-land as well. Thank you for all the fun and joy you bring into my life. We are as much a family here bonded by love (and love of SALES! Ha!) as just about any other community I find myself in. To say I am incredibly blessed is an understatement. :)

Should set a monthly recurring reminder on your phone. :)

Weight management and loss is a marathon. I think more than weight you need to just be healthy. I know people who are always chasing a number and it's just not healthy. Get to a point and be healthy and happy and keep it up. :) You're doing great.

• Like 1

Should set a monthly recurring reminder on your phone. :)

Weight management and loss is a marathon. I think more than weight you need to just be healthy. I know people who are always chasing a number and it's just not healthy. Get to a point and be healthy and happy and keep it up. :) You're doing great.

Thanks!

And yep. Not chasing a specific number, actually. Doc and I are monitoring overall health right now and I can still stand to drop a bit more. Part of why we have a range. When I first started this process, he asked me straight up if I had a final number in mind. My response was "healthy". He pressed me further and I told him I honestly didn't know, seeing as I've pretty much always been bigger. He wouldn't let up, so I thought for a few moments and then threw a number out and he countered with "would you be OK if I said (a range of 10-20 lbs higher)?" I said "Absolutely. My health is more important to me than the final number on the scale." He said "Good. Your head is in the right place. Let's get you on the right track toward your goal." Been putting the work in ever since. Found something I can truly live with long term and I'm finding the maintenance, while still a challenge some days, is easier than I thought it would be now that I have the good habits established. :)

• Like 3

Thanks!

And yep. Not chasing a specific number, actually. Doc and I are monitoring overall health right now and I can still stand to drop a bit more. Part of why we have a range. When I first started this process, he asked me straight up if I had a final number in mind. My response was "healthy". He pressed me further and I told him I honestly didn't know, seeing as I've pretty much always been bigger. He wouldn't let up, so I thought for a few moments and then threw a number out and he countered with "would you be OK if I said (a range of 10-20 lbs higher)?" I said "Absolutely. My health is more important to me than the final number on the scale." He said "Good. Your head is in the right place. Let's get you on the right track toward your goal." Been putting the work in ever since. Found something I can truly live with long term and I'm finding the maintenance, while still a challenge some days, is easier than I thought it would be now that I have the good habits established. :)

What I've found works good is when I want something I eat some of it. I see people who deny themselves and deny themselves then once they finally eat it they gorge on it. NOT good. Want some? Take some. I'm glad you have your head in the right place. Healthy is FAR more important than some arbitrary number. At one point I got back down to my high school playing weight and I didn't look healthy anymore. I know where I want to get now and stay in that range so that I'm healthy and here for many more years to type up ads. :)

• Like 1

What I've found works good is when I want something I eat some of it. I see people who deny themselves and deny themselves then once they finally eat it they gorge on it. NOT good. Want some? Take some. I'm glad you have your head in the right place. Healthy is FAR more important than some arbitrary number. At one point I got back down to my high school playing weight and I didn't look healthy anymore. I know where I want to get now and stay in that range so that I'm healthy and here for many more years to type up ads. :)

Exactly. Want to "cheat" with something tasty? Do it. Heck, have a "cheat weekend" from time to time. Just don't let it become a bad habit again. (Doc is fully on board with me having some amazing local dairy-made ice cream, fresh bread from the bakery, etc., within reason.) And if I do have a particularly "bad" stretch (say I'm traveling for work with limited options), I just remind myself it's temporary and get back to eating better as soon as I'm home. Honestly, nowadays I know when I've eaten poorly compared to what my body wants. I've learned it doesn't like a lot of what I used to feed it. I find it ironically hilarious when I'm absolutely CRAVING a massive salad. Who'd have thunk it? lol  :P

• Like 1

Exactly. Want to "cheat" with something tasty? Do it. Heck, have a "cheat weekend" from time to time. Just don't let it become a bad habit again. (Doc is fully on board with me having some amazing local dairy-made ice cream, fresh bread from the bakery, etc., within reason.) And if I do have a particularly "bad" stretch (say I'm traveling for work with limited options), I just remind myself it's temporary and get back to eating better as soon as I'm home. Honestly, nowadays I know when I've eaten poorly compared to what my body wants. I've learned it doesn't like a lot of what I used to feed it. I find it ironically hilarious when I'm absolutely CRAVING a massive salad. Who'd have thunk it? lol  :P

There are many times I want to go to Chili's for the quesadilla explosion salad lol. I don't always even eat the quesadilla I just like the rest of the salad. :)

• Like 1

How did I miss this thread till just today?! I've been here every day the past several weeks and just now saw it. Hopefully I can remember to post every month. I love the pin idea!

Set up the reminder on your phone! I've got mine set now for the first of every month for the next year! :)

• Like 3

Thanks!

Congrats on the weight loss!

Would you care to share your "secrets"?  I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

I lost some last year, but it is creeping up on me again.  I am struggling with avoiding the bad stuff.  I probably need a change of pace so I can get back down.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Would you care to share your "secrets"?  I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

I lost some last year, but it is creeping up on me again.  I am struggling with avoiding the bad stuff.  I probably need a change of pace so I can get back down.

Thanks!

Honestly, medically supervised ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting. Keep in mind, every body is different and I also had no preexisting health conditions (other than the excess weight), so what has worked for me won't be right for everyone.

As the weight came off, my energy levels increased and I have added more exercise into my routine simply because I feel like I need to burn the energy off. There are nights I come home these days and I feel a need to *DO* something. Often times, that means throwing on my running gear and going out to run about 5k. I can't even imagine a night where I would've wanted/felt the need to do that 2 years ago. Crazy. 

• Like 2