Weighted blanket

oimomma08

This is my first time seeing this item mentioned anywhere. What exactly is the purpose of a weighted blanket?

Good question. Weighted blankets were developed to help kids with autism who need more input through their senses to calm down. Some people are finding it calms typical adults down. For reference, for adults weighted blankets should be10% of body weight +around 1-2 lbs. I wouldn't recommend buying one for children unless an Occupational Therapist evaluates them. Heavy blankets can weigh a child down and that can be dangerous if they can't turn at night. 

• Like 2

This is my first time seeing this item mentioned anywhere. What exactly is the purpose of a weighted blanket?

I’ve always had an odd love of the weighted smock they put on you when taking dental x-rays. Not sure why, but it’s comforting to me.

• Like 2

Wow, I never thought about it til now, but you’re right! I like that too! I have a large tungsten carbide ring that I wear on my left thumb, and for some reason having it on and the weight of it around my thumb makes me feel better somehow. There really is some science behind this stuff. It all reminds me of when I first heard about the thunder shirt for dogs; it comforts them during storms and stuff I think. I didn’t understand how that could have helped but I do now.
  • Like 2

Wow, I never thought about it til now, but you’re right! I like that too! I have a large tungsten carbide ring that I wear on my left thumb, and for some reason having it on and the weight of it around my thumb makes me feel better somehow. There really is some science behind this stuff. It all reminds me of when I first heard about the thunder shirt for dogs; it comforts them during storms and stuff I think. I didn’t understand how that could have helped but I do now.

Yes! They made the Thunder Shirt for dogs after they noticed the weighted blankets helping kids with autism!

• Like 1