Official "Is it just me or do the ads suck this year?" Complaint Thread

Brad

For me it's so much about what's in/not in the ads this yr. I feel like so many ads were leaked by so many different sources this yr and it seemed like they started to leak real early too. Kinda took the excitement/anticipation/fun out of it for me, to the point where I have almost no interest now this yr. I will say I thought/hoped to see more deals for unlocked phones like the S9 or iphone x.

I think the ads have a lot of great deals...but as the family gets older, there isn't as much I want to get for them. Plus they already have some of the stuff. There are a lot of TVs-mostly bigger than I look for. It was easier when the kids were little and liked anything you got them. lol

• Like 2

The ads are a little disappointing but it's because I have a preteen and none of the stuff she wants are in the ads. OMG!!!

It only gets worst and more expensive - LOL. I loved it more when it doesnt matter. As long as it lighted up and made noises I was the best.....Now it is this brand, that brand or that phone doesn't fit my style ? Your style is not in my wallet, use it or nothing at all. Oh how I love them so much...

Not much I am looking for is in the ads either. I do want a set of luggage for DD15 but my DSIL gave me a nice list (he even included pictures so I would understand) but I am not seeing any of it in the ads. I do see a few things but not the majority. 

For me the difference this year isn't so much they suck, but I'm not in the market for much, so a lot of stuff doesn't interest me.  Though I do always enjoy this thread so I can't wait to see some of these replies.

I have to agree. Not in the market for much, but I'm still a little disappointed in the hardcopy ads. I have a feeling that stores will announce online only sale items just before BF.

It's not that I'm disappointed...it's just that I don't see some of the things I usually buy on BF for my household. Like all of the gift items that I want are there, but I don't see the Sonicare toothbrush replacement heads I usually buy, and similar.

Plus, Target's Wondershop Saturday deals get worse and worse each year. For a solid few years they offered $50 off of $100, and last year and now this year it's down to $25 off $75 or something like that. For the first time ever I think I'll bypass that for the Joann/Michael's sales...sorry Target!

It's not that there isn't great deals, but now that my kids are 24 and 18 it's easier to buy gift cards and cash.  I may still go out to just to look around. This year though I don't have to worry about racing anywhere except Petsmart for the litter.

Do you have a Shopko near you?

I have avoided this thread because I don't like complaining.  LOL little did I know how funny it was till now.  I do not think the ads suck, but our TRU closed, our Kmart closed, our Sears closed, I avoid Walmart (partly because they open during my Thanksgiving family time), I avoid the rush at Best Buy, and I try not to go to the Kohl's store (that's one for online!) Plus, I already have ordered and received all my throws for this year...lol. Sooo what's left. Menards, yep I'll stand in that line and fight the crowd. But, that ad isn't here yet.  Why do they always have to be last?  lol

I think we need to run a poll midyear and send it to all the retailers with suggestions on what we want to see. 

There is an idea for Brad to do in the t-shirt thread for next year.

Sometime I wonder if the stores doesn't really care about the true deals anymore. More and more people are willing to spend top dollar for things and the need to discount has gone away. I was watching the news and people are complaining that the stock market is going down on our natural resources, i.e gas and it was all doom and gloom but they are not realizing the higher the cost per barrel the more we have to pay at the pump even though every industry for the last decade has been seeing record profits it is not shared with "we the people"..... now I am not complaining because I invest in the stock market and when they do good I win but at the same time I loose. All that to say we as buyers have lost focus on the power we wield. If we stop buying and paying the high prices for things they will drop and the discount will start to roll in again. 

Just a thought.....

• Like 1