When to expect Black Friday ads to leak this year

Brad

As I've done the past few years, I've looked at the data from the past several years including when the ad was leaked for some popular stores and what date Black Friday fell on each year. Based on these numbers and this year's Black Friday date (November 23rd), here is the "average" day you can expect these ads this year:

October 31: Dell Home, Ace Hardware
November 5: Sam's Club, Kohl's, Sears
November 6: Target, JCPenney, Meijer
November 7: Walmart, Best Buy, Macy's, Costco
November 8: Staples, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens
November 9: Michael's, Bass Pro Shops
November 10: Dick's Sporting Goods, GameStop
November 12: Lowe's, Old Navy
November 14: Home Depot, Menard's
November 23: Black Friday 2018

You can go back through the last 12 years to see the leaked dates for many stores here: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/Dates

This year Black Friday falls on the earliest possible date, the 23rd. Next year it goes back to the latest possible date, the 29th.

Of course you may remember that the last few years we had a crazy 2-day periods that saw ads from nearly all the big stores all released right after each other. I expect something similar this year around November 5-7 (and the data above backs it up), so be prepared.

• Like 9

I'm looking forward to seeing a Kmart ad this years (as I am every year), but this year it will determine whether I even go that early on Thanksgiving morning...their sale last year was basically non-existent when we went at the usual time, but we were unaware since the store was open at 6 am as usual...we found it quite strange that they didn't have any store ads available for the customers (per the conversation with the manager), but he did manage to give us some of the usual deals on the throws and comforter sets... Kmart may be on it's last leg with the few stores they have left and if this year's BF sale is as lack luster as last year's I know I won't be in any rush to shop there...

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing a Kmart ad this years (as I am every year), but this year it will determine whether I even go that early on Thanksgiving morning...their sale last year was basically non-existent when we went at the usual time, but we were unaware since the store was open at 6 am as usual...we found it quite strange that they didn't have any store ads available for the customers (per the conversation with the manager), but he did manage to give us some of the usual deals on the throws and comforter sets... Kmart may be on it's last leg with the few stores they have left and if this year's BF sale is as lack luster as last year's I know I won't be in any rush to shop there...

Exactly.... I do not think I even went in there last BF..... I hope they go out with a bang but if there numbers are low I dont see how they could bring any good deals

• Like 1

Exactly.... I do not think I even went in there last BF..... I hope they go out with a bang but if there numbers are low I dont see how they could bring any good deals

Right...I didn't see their ad until I checked back on here after BF and to see that it was a measly 4-5 pages long compared to previous years...so disappointing...if they are going to go out they may as well go out with a bang...

• Like 1

Just seen my go-to Kmart on the list of stores is in immediate liquidation...yeah, not very hopeful after Sears filed for Chapter 11...this leaves one Kmart in my area and it is literally around the corner from where I live...they will have to have an amazing sale this year for me to venture in there...

Edited by tracy0504

Right...I didn't see their ad until I checked back on here after BF and to see that it was a measly 4-5 pages long compared to previous years...so disappointing...if they are going to go out they may as well go out with a bang...

Yep, no use to trying to hold on to anything. Do a killer sale and see if that will get the foot traffic going again. You cant stay over priced and expect people to shop there .

Just seen my go-to Kmart on the list of stores is in immediate liquidation...yeah, not very hopeful after Sears filed for Chapter 11...this leaves one Kmart in my area and it is literally around the corner from where I live...they will have to have an amazing sale this year for me to venture in there...

The one closet to me is closing now to. That just leaves 1 in my area and 5 in my entire state 

• Like 1

Yep, no use to trying to hold on to anything. Do a killer sale and see if that will get the foot traffic going again. You cant stay over priced and expect people to shop there .

The one closet to me is closing now to. That just leaves 1 in my area and 5 in my entire state 

I ghink sooner than later ALL of them will be closed. :(

I ghink sooner than later ALL of them will be closed. :(

Yep.... now I can reminisce on what use to be a great thanksgiving morning camp out before the store opening just to do it all over again the next morning. My kids will never understand what it took to get them that one toy they wanted now. 

Edited by jesusluvu
  • Like 2

So last year we had the Kohl's ad leak on Thursday of this week, which was super early for Kohl's ad compared to past years. And we then had to take it down until Kohl's officially posted it and they weren't happy.

Kohl's then posted it themselves on the following Monday and had a one-day sale where you could order many of their BF items at the sale price.

I just checked the Kohl's site and their current promos end on Sunday night, which would line up perfectly with a Monday BF ad reveal and one-day sale once again...

• Like 11

We don’t even have a Kmart around here anymore. Makes me sad.

• Like 1

We don’t even have a Kmart around here anymore. Makes me sad.

Shortly, I will only have one and it is almost 30 min from my house

So last year we had the Kohl's ad leak on Thursday of this week, which was super early for Kohl's ad compared to past years. And we then had to take it down until Kohl's officially posted it and they weren't happy.

Kohl's then posted it themselves on the following Monday and had a one-day sale where you could order many of their BF items at the sale price.

I just checked the Kohl's site and their current promos end on Sunday night, which would line up perfectly with a Monday BF ad reveal and one-day sale once again...

I hope so. That would be great and I can cross them off the list for Black Thursday shopping. 

• Like 1

I think I only want throws from them this year, but If I can get them early and cross them off my list that would be great...

• Like 1

Do we usually get a Verizon Wireless ad? I noticed that it's not on the dates page.

Not everything is listed, just the main ads. Honestly, Best Buy and Walmart usually have better deals on phones On Black Friday than Verizon. I have been a Verizon customer for the past 16 years, and I upgrade my phones every 2 years. One more note, where Best Buy often states a gift card amount, they usually offer even more when you get there. 2 Years ago I upgraded my phones, the ad stated $250 gift card with purchase. When I got there they mentioned that they received an email that morning and they were offering $400 not $250. This is not the first time they have done that. It is actually quite often. I think it happened 4 years ago as well that they offered more than the ad stated. 

• Like 2

Both KMarts near me have closed.  Don't know if the Sears near me will close before the holidays or not.  I never go there anyway!

Same here. The closest one closed last year, the remaining one is scheduled to close December 23 as their final day. :-(