Share your favorite cookie recipes!

magickallight

Our cookies, that we make a ton of every year, is just your basic sugar cookie with buttercream icing.

COOKIES:

Sift together & put aside:

• 5.5 cups flour
  • 2 tsp Baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt

Beat:

• 1.5 cups butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Blend mixture & add dry ingredients. Chill at least one hour. bake @ 375°.

ICING:

2 cups butter

2 cups crisco

4 tsp vanilla

.5 tsp salt

2 2lb bags C&H powdered sugar

12 TBSP milk (approx 2/3 cup)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/ts1852/15380344_10207849120205779_1418020503271876814_n.jpghttp://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/ts1852/15578946_10207945337451150_2637628906788408676_n.jpg

• Like 10

Hmmm... Favorite? Given the *piles* of cookies I make for Christmas, it's hard to choose a favorite. But... I make these, with one tweak for Christmas. 

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/fiesta-fudge-cookies/6889925a-e218-445e-b73b-b597f38802a7#!

Instead of regular "Hugs", I swap in the Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses. I've gone to calling them my Candy Cane Kiss cookies. They turn out pretty with the red and white striping on top (and they always disappear pretty quickly!). :)

• Like 4

Hmmm... Favorite? Given the *piles* of cookies I make for Christmas, it's hard to choose a favorite. But... I make these, with one tweak for Christmas. 

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/fiesta-fudge-cookies/6889925a-e218-445e-b73b-b597f38802a7#!

Instead of regular "Hugs", I swap in the Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses. I've gone to calling them my Candy Cane Kiss cookies. They turn out pretty with the red and white striping on top (and they always disappear pretty quickly!). :)

Sounds SOOOO Good! I love peppermint - so I will try these your special way! :) Thanks for sharing. :)

• Like 1

Those sugar cookies are gorgeous, Bopeep. :) I wish I had the patience to make them that pretty. I usually just make bowls of different colored icing and use a trusty butter knife to spread some on the cookies. Nothing special like yours. 

Thank you.  It's a family affair, :). My mom has done them for years, and a lot of people have come to expect them every year. So, now I bake the cookies and take them to her house where all of us kids and grand kids meet up to decorate them.

• Like 2

Not necessarily my favorite, but one that I made two years ago that was a hit. They taste like a brownie in cookie form.

choccrinklecookie.jpg

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, from Cook's Illustrated

Ingredients:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I usually have Hershey's on hand.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I use Ghiradelli's, California girl, yo)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup powdered sugar 

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  I personally didn't do this until the 10 minute resting part, to try to keep my kitchen from turning into a sauna.

2. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

3. Combine the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Combine the unsweetened chocolate and butter in a small bowl and microwave at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. (it only took me about 2 minutes. Chop the chocolate into really small bits to accelerate the melting process.)

4. Whisk the chocolate/butter mixture into the egg mixture until combined. Fold in the flour mixture until no dry streaks remain. Let the dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.

5. Place the granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Working with 2 tablespoons dough (or a medium cookie scoop) at a time, roll into balls. Drop dough balls into granulated sugar and roll to coat. Transfer dough balls to powdered sugar and roll to coat evenly. Evenly space the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets.  CI recommends 11 cookies per sheet, in rows of 4-3-4.  I didn't dome the cookies - I slightly flattened them, because I do that.

6. Bake the cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, about 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let cool completely on the sheet before serving.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If they last.

• Like 1

Those sugar cookies are beautiful Bopeep. Wish I had the patience to roll dough and cut out cookies. Maybe one year.

And both chocolate cookie recipes look delicious. I love chocolate cookies. My family prefers sugar or chocolate chip though.

I am the dessert maker (mama cooks the dinner), but the cookies are mostly from the Betty Crocker bags, or the Nestle refrigerated cutouts.

Last year someone here posted about spritz cookies and a cookie press. I had NEVER heard of a cookie press. So me and my friend went out and bought one. My husband and boys didn't much care for the cream cheese spritz or butter cookies. But others liked them pretty good.

A few weeks ago I experimented with sugar cookie dough. Those were a hit, although the dough wasn't quite right. So if anyone has a sugar cookie recipe that works in the cookie press, please post!

My big thing I make is buckeyes. Those are the big hit, with everyone except my youngest that doesn't eat a lot of chocolate. And my nephew who's allergic to peanut butter.

• Like 3

I've made these as part of my cookie trays for the last couple years and they've been a BIG hit:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/02/24/soft-baked-peanut-butter-chocolate-swirl-cookies/

I make 10-12 kinds every year but I make and bake them ahead and then freeze.  Only do a small amount of baking as desired once December hits!

Edited by AuntJamelle

No bake cookies:

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 stick butter

3 tsp cocoa

2 cups quick oats

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Combine sugar, milk, butter and cocoa in large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and oats until well mixed.  Drop by the spoonful on wax paper and let set.  

These are so good, even if they don't quite turn out right.  Sometimes the weather (humidity) down here wrecks havoc on them but it doesn't stop me from eating them.  

No bake cookies:

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 stick butter

3 tsp cocoa

2 cups quick oats

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Combine sugar, milk, butter and cocoa in large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and oats until well mixed.  Drop by the spoonful on wax paper and let set.  

These are so good, even if they don't quite turn out right.  Sometimes the weather (humidity) down here wrecks havoc on them but it doesn't stop me from eating them.  

When it's really humid, try adding about 1/4 cup more oats. That should help soak up more of the moisture and help them set up better. (I have to tweak my cookie dough in the summer here for the same reason.) :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made a chocolate sugar cookie today, which was great. I'm still debating if I want to make soft and chewy molasses spice cookies or roll out gingerbread cookies tomorrow. I'll also make a third cookie - lemon snowball cookies - since I know someone that doesn't eat eggs. 

We have done Grinch Cookies, EggNog Cookies, PB Cookies, Magic Bars. Still have Chocolate Chip Cookies, Pecan Tassies, Mini Cheesecakes, Sugar Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and a couple others I can't remember right now. Will do a couple tomorrow then finish up on Wednesday night.

a New Mexico tradition..... 

Biscochitos

Cookies

5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pound lard, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1½ tablespoons ground anise seeds
½ cup orange juice, fresh or from concentrate
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) whiskey
Topping

¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the cookies

Preheat oven to 425° F.

Sift together 5 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.

Beat lard in electric mixer, gradually adding sugar until extremely light
and fluffy; about 8 minutes. Stop mixer every couple minutes to scrape down
sides of mixing bowl. Add eggs singly, beating in each one before adding
the next. Mix in dry ingredients, beating only until incorporated. Add
anise seeds, whiskey, and orange juice. A stiff, pie-crust–like dough is
what you’re after. Add some or all of remaining flour, as needed, to get
proper consistency.

Spoon dough into cookie press, if you wish. Push out dough into shaped
cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. If you don’t have a cookie press or
prefer to make them with cookie cutters, the dough can be rolled out ¼
inch thick on floured work surface and cut into favorite shapes, then
arranged on cookie sheets. In either case, avoid handling the dough more
than necessary.

Bake cookies 12 to 15 minutes.

For the topping

While cookies bake, stir together topping ingredients.

Assembly

Transfer cookies to baking racks to cool.

Gently roll cookies in topping mixture. If not eaten sooner, cookies will
keep a week.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/articles/post/bizcochito-recipe-83756/