Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Official Black Friday LAPTOPS Discussion Thread

16 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 20,412 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 5, 2017 - 7:06 am

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

#2 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 6:44 am

I bought a new laptop last year and within months my now 17 yo son messed it up (spilled something on the keyboard and it is awfully sticky) to the point that I stopped trying to use it...have to purchase a new one this BF because I'm still in school pursuing my MBA and welllll, kinda need a laptop...sigh...so this year it will be a need instead of a want...probably will go to QVC or HSN as usual...I only use my laptop to complete assignments for school, researching, maybe watching some DVDs and the occasional YouTube video...so I really don't need anything too fancy...

#3 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,071 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 7:32 am

I bought a new laptop last year and within months my now 17 yo son messed it up (spilled something on the keyboard and it is awfully sticky) to the point that I stopped trying to use it...have to purchase a new one this BF because I'm still in school pursuing my MBA and welllll, kinda need a laptop...sigh...so this year it will be a need instead of a want...probably will go to QVC or HSN as usual...I only use my laptop to complete assignments for school, researching, maybe watching some DVDs and the occasional YouTube video...so I really don't need anything too fancy...

get an accident warranty on it so next time you can at least get your purchase price back, i bought one 2 years ago BF @Best Buy for $140 and paid the extra for the warranty for it knowing my DD has a bad record with them, i was right within a couple months sure enough she broke it. we replaced it with a more expensive unit and paid for the warranty again and then she spilled her drink on it was so nice not being out $500 this time. for laptops i will always recommend getting the warranty, usually its good 2-3 years

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 7:41 am

You can possibly also just replace the KB on the laptop if it's still working. They are usually pretty cheap to buy online and fairly easy to replace. :)

#5 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 7:48 am

get an accident warranty on it so next time you can at least get your purchase price back, i bought one 2 years ago BF @Best Buy for $140 and paid the extra for the warranty for it knowing my DD has a bad record with them, i was right within a couple months sure enough she broke it. we replaced it with a more expensive unit and paid for the warranty again and then she spilled her drink on it was so nice not being out $500 this time. for laptops i will always recommend getting the warranty, usually its good 2-3 years

Good advice, thanks...I kid you not, my son is the exact same way with every laptop I have purchased...I guess I believed since he was "older" now he would be more careful...nope, not yet...lol... I will invest in a warranty this time as I am sure he will somehow find a way to sneak the new laptop into his room...

#6 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 7:52 am

You can possibly also just replace the KB on the laptop if it's still working. They are usually pretty cheap to buy online and fairly easy to replace. :)

I actually have looked into this, but never followed through...my son has pretty much monopolized it now so I still may look into a new KB, again...and still get a new one for myself...

#7 queenkishaa  OFFLINE  

queenkishaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 8:06 am

What's a good laptop for software developers. I have been using an old Dell laptop that I have had for quite sometime. It has gotten the job done but it is time for an upgrade. I would like to stick with Windows since I am accustomed to it, but I can always switch.

Sent from my SM-G920T using GottaDEAL mobile app

#8 Elmck  OFFLINE  

Elmck

• 1,684 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 4:04 pm

I want to get DD14 one for Christmas this year. Not sure what I want yet. She is not a gamer but does like design and is very artistic. Any suggestions on where to start??

#9 mommy2twingles  OFFLINE  

mommy2twingles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 4:58 am

One possibly 2 are on my list for the kids this year.

#10 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 12:47 pm

I actually have looked into this, but never followed through...my son has pretty much monopolized it now so I still may look into a new KB, again...and still get a new one for myself...

I was enjoying lunch with my 17 yo son at Firehouse the other day.  

Somehow I ended up with a meatball in MY lap from HIS meatball sandwich...

Some kids are just messy.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#11 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 12:57 pm

What's a good laptop for software developers. I have been using an old Dell laptop that I have had for quite sometime. It has gotten the job done but it is time for an upgrade. I would like to stick with Windows since I am accustomed to it, but I can always switch.

I found the most valuable attribute to me when it comes to coding on a laptop (which I try desperately not to do anyway) is a nice big screen with lots of pixels.  That way I can see and use the toolbar at the top, the Projects and Navigator panes on the left, the Output pane on the bottom for troubleshooting and still have plenty of room to write and edit code (in NetBeans for example).  As far as everything else, well, compiling code isn't normally a really resource intensive process, so you don't HAVE to spend the big bucks for big stats.  Windows is of course all over the place and you can find IDE's for it at will.  And it's super easy to make a laptop dual boot to something like Ubuntu or Mint to get a linux OS.  Macs are fine machines, you just pay a premium for the perceived luxury.  Were it my money, I'd target an i5 Windows laptop with a big screen and a big battery.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#12 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 1:28 pm

LOL...absolutely...

#13 queenkishaa  OFFLINE  

queenkishaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 3:14 pm

I found the most valuable attribute to me when it comes to coding on a laptop (which I try desperately not to do anyway) is a nice big screen with lots of pixels. That way I can see and use the toolbar at the top, the Projects and Navigator panes on the left, the Output pane on the bottom for troubleshooting and still have plenty of room to write and edit code (in NetBeans for example). As far as everything else, well, compiling code isn't normally a really resource intensive process, so you don't HAVE to spend the big bucks for big stats. Windows is of course all over the place and you can find IDE's for it at will. And it's super easy to make a laptop dual boot to something like Ubuntu or Mint to get a linux OS. Macs are fine machines, you just pay a premium for the perceived luxury. Were it my money, I'd target an i5 Windows laptop with a big screen and a big battery.

I will look at the Windows machine. Thanks for the insight.

#14 MusicMama  OFFLINE  

MusicMama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 8:10 am

I ended up with a much better than BF laptop deal during the early November Best Buy sale last year.   It was one of those in-store sales that even the employees didn't know anything about until I asked and then they had to go find the laptop bundle (which was actually in a bundle box). $299 for an HP 15.6" laptop with touchscreen and optical drive, good AMD processor, decent graphics and 8GB RAM.  Accessories were way less important than the laptop itself.  If you're looking for a laptop this year, I'd say fixate on your specs first, especially if you're not overly brand-loyal, and then just start looking at the weekly ads for price comparisons.

#15 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 5:22 pm

I would agree with the pre-BF sales.  I got my new HP laptop last year from Sam's during their early/mid November sale.  

15.6" with optical drive, intel core I5 7th generation, 12GB RAM and 1TB hard drive, HD display.  There might have been a better deal on BF itself for these specs but honestly I was happy to get it at $379 and get it off my plate before the BF rush.  

#16 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,014 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 20, 2017 - 2:58 am

No electronics at the table.  It's a RULE.  Now you know why.  :teacher:  

#17 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,014 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 20, 2017 - 3:07 am

It depends.  First, you need to work out the minimum specs required for your work and make sure you get something that reasonably exceeds those specs.  If you will be doing this coding in an office (home or at work), you probably want to ignore weight and battery life and focus on screen size and performance.  If you are a road warrior, you might want to focus on battery life and ease of working off your lap (i.e., no Surface).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users