Lightning Deals

msyves

Hello Gotta Deal family,

For years I've heard people talk about how great it is to snag the Amazon lightning deals. I'm thinking about joining in on the fun, but how exactly does it work? Yesterday there were over 200 pages worth of deals. That's quite overwhelming. What's the best strategy to find the great deals?

you can view what the deals will be for the day, so take note what time a deal starts for the items you are looking at, sit on the lightning deals page 5-10 minutes before its set to start and be ready for it to start once it changes click quickly, if its a hot item it will sell out quickly, once you get it in your cart you have 15 minutes to pay for it

• Like 1

In years past when they had a set schedule when you knew well in advance when what movies and video games would be done each day and what time, i as able to get everything everytime, but now where they dont do that but on a daily basis no I really dont have much luck as i forget to go check

• Like 1

You can also filter the deals by category. That makes it a little easier to look through. I also believe the Amazon app has a way to kinda watch items, but I don't have the app so I'm not sure exactly how that goes. When I see something I will be interested in, I just put a reminder on my phone.

Also, they add things all the time, so it doesn't hurt to keep checking from time to time, even if you have already checked a certain time period.

• Like 1

luckily this year i have a brand new phone that has a very long battery life so can make sure i have a good charge before I go stand in line this year and just use it to watch the lightning deals all day thanksgiving and use my ipad to do my other shopping using Target WiFi lol

• Like 3

Yup, I usually scroll through the upcoming deals for the next hour or two and mark the deals to watch. Then refresh in a few hours, check again for the next 1-2 hours of upcoming deals. Filtering can be your friend, as bluebear mentioned.  It brings the 140 pages down to 80 for me. lol.

I've frequently also had things in my Wish List and get an email in the morning saying that such and such item will be on a lightning deal at so and so time.  I love when that happens!!

Seems like more and more lighting deals are junk that is sitting in the FCs that they want to get rid of. Same with those amazon days they did the last two years. The only time I bother with Amazon over the holidays is when they start doing the movie deals.

But with the fact I don't have Prime anymore it might not even be worth it. I dropped Prime because it was getting to the point that I wasn't getting things in the promised two days. And less and less were Prime eligible. Now I have to wait until I have $49 worth of stuff for free shipping. And now wait two weeks for my order.

Edited by Monstermile

luckily this year i have a brand new phone that has a very long battery life so can make sure i have a good charge before I go stand in line this year and just use it to watch the lightning deals all day thanksgiving and use my ipad to do my other shopping using Target WiFi lol

Get an external charger (like one from Anker) so you don't have to worry about pre-mature battery death.

• Like 1

Seems like more and more lighting deals are junk that is sitting in the FCs that they want to get rid of. Same with those amazon days they did the last two years. The only time I bother with Amazon over the holidays is when they start doing the movie deals.

But with the fact I don't have Prime anymore it might not even be worth it. I dropped Prime because it was getting to the point that I wasn't getting things in the promised two days. And less and less were Prime eligible. Now I have to wait until I have $49 worth of stuff for free shipping. And now wait two weeks for my order.

I've always got my stuff in 2 days. I think maybe once or twice it hasn't and when I contact customer service, they often credit me another free month of Prime membership. A few times it wasn't there after 4 or 5 days and they shipped out a new one (granted, the product was only $10-$15...) overnight and got it the next day. And then usually the original one straggles in a day or two later, as well - so then I have two.

95% of what I want to buy ends up being Prime eligible.

However, I agree with the LD being less than stellar. So many times I want to tell someone "10% off is not a Lightning Deal!!!"

Edited by bribri25

Me too! Every now and then I get lucky with a great 3rd party seller but I try to stick with Prime eligible items if I can.

Agreed. I'll pay an extra few $$ for it; and often pick No-Rush Shipping and get $1 back in MP3.

Most items are still shipped by Amazon and still Prime eligible.

• Like 1

Agreed. I'll pay an extra few $$ for it; and often pick No-Rush Shipping and get $1 back in MP3.

Most items are still shipped by Amazon and still Prime eligible.

I love the $1 MP3 option, and I'm usually not in a hurry so I jump on that every chance I get.  Lately, for whatever reason, I'm only offered $5 off Prime Pantry.  I don't use Prime Pantry, so I just let them ship me my stuff in 2 days.

• Like 1

I love the $1 MP3 option, and I'm usually not in a hurry so I jump on that every chance I get.  Lately, for whatever reason, I'm only offered $5 off Prime Pantry.  I don't use Prime Pantry, so I just let them ship me my stuff in 2 days.

I second that to a Tee!!!

"Oh, you're going to give me a $5 Prime Pantry Certificate when coincidentally, it's a $5 flat-fee shipping rate? So, basically you're giving me free shipping!!!!!.....When I already have Prime....and get everything shipped for free anyway.... Um, no thanks. That's no better than your Lightning Deals that are 10% off retail price."

I often buy a majority of things in separate orders and use the $1 MP3 for No-Rush Shipping and then later that day place a Free 2-day Shipping item order and usually they'll group everything together in one shipment and I get it all in 2 days anyway + the credits. 

It's not too bad. I place 50+ orders on Amazon a year.  Splitting them into their own orders (with one-click turned on) doesn't take but a few more seconds (just place the order after each item) and I get $30-$40 of free digital content from them.

And speaking of Lightning Deals... just had an order that I placed yesterday and found it on Lightning Deal now; canceled that order, and re-ordered for 22% off (on something I was already buying anyway). This one I just got lucky on. Oh, and used No-Rush shipping so there's another $1 ;)