Share Your Best Black Friday Tip & Win a T-Shirt [Winners Posted]

Brad

My #1 tip for newbies (and veterans as well) make a list...check it twice (or more) before you venture out!!!!

2) The leaked ads are your friend...use them!!!! I have my top 3-4 stores I normally shop on BF, but i look in almost each ad because they might have something i need/want!!!!

3) If you can, take someone with you!!!! At least until you get use to it because it can be overwhelming your first time out!!!!

4) Bring snacks!!!! The lines are long, use the time to get energized before heading to the next store...

5) Have fun!!!! BF is not for the faint of heart, but it can be fun if you don't get stressed...remember, you may not get all of the items you want and some people can be rude...don't let it ruin your shopping experience!!!!

My best Black Friday tip is to use the scans from previous years to determine where the deals really lie. Go back 5  to 10 years and you will be astonished at how little your new HDTV will cost you in relation to a set with less resolution and screen size from 2004!

Last year, my wife took the reins of BF shopping and far exceeded my expectations. I'm a vet at this, but for a rookie she taught me a thing or 2 for this year.

1. Shop in groups. She had her sister and best friend with her. They got EVERYTHING on their list and then some!

2. The "then some".... If it's a door buster laying there that nobody else is picking up, GRAB IT! Whether it's for you or someone else, it's valuable to someone. Maybe that person behind you in line missed out on it. Offer it to them. Or better yet, buy it and donate it to a charity!

3. Most stores will put out a map days before BF but don't rely on them. This is where you need a group and Bluetooth headsets. Get into the store early and ask employees that are camping aisles as crowd control.

Most of these tips are related to Walmart, but same will hold true to others. Good luck!

My tips are for Online Shopping...

1) Watch each ad as it comes out and use the "My Shopping List" tool that Gottadeal provides to mark the items that you want.

2) Use the comparison charts that Gottadeal provides to make sure you are getting the best price.

3) Find out when the online sales start - many can start at early as Wednesday

4) Keep an eye out in advance of the sales for other store meeting or beating the Black Friday sales of their competitors ads (this happens more often then you think, and you will often find the heads up on the Gottadeal forums.)

5) Familiarize yourself with each site's shipping prices and return policies beforehand.

6) Be logged in and ready on the sites you are going to buy from in advance of the sale start times as you may loose hot items in your cart while hunting for passwords and such.

7) Have LOTS of coffee ready to help keep you awake! ;)

My tip is in regards to checking out, especially in places like Walmart. For goodness sake, don't wander aimlessly around trying to find a checkout that "looks shorter," because it doesn't exist on Black Friday. Go to areas where checkouts are maybe forgotten (try the Tire area in the back, or even the gun/paint sections; they'll check you out normally). At Target, we last year we checked out in the customer returns center. The year before, we went to the snack area. Don't just get in line behind a thousand other people because that's what THEY'RE doing. You need to find shortcuts--remember, time is of the essence on BF. ;) Good luck!

One tip that I havent read yet is when you are headed to your next store and have helpers with you, drop off the helpers to stand in line or go in while you find a parking place:)  Parking lots fill up quickly and you have a lot of wasted time walking from the back of a lot or looking for a spot while helpers can be going on in to search for items (of course rely on cell phones for communication for meeting)

Make a list for each store. If you do end up using a cart, make sure to cover your stuff. People have been known to swipe things out of others carts when they are not looking.

Instead of a cart I sometimes grab a rolling garbage can and store my goodies in there.

If you can't fine what you are looking for at Target, come back the next morning. Since it is a 3 day sale, they usually get more in and restock what they can the morning after the sale starts.

Walmart is very good at hiding items it does not intend to sell at the Black Friday price. Case in point was last year's Monsters Inc new movie. Many Walmarts in my area did not have them around during the sale, but magically had them back in their regular locations after the sale. If you are a fan of the sale, and particularly Blurays, then you are going to love this. Check the items on the Saturday after the sale. Many ring up at the Black Friday promo price, so use the scanners if the store has them.

I was able to get 4 of the Monsters University movies this way, not to mention many others that found their way back to the regular sections early.

All wonderful tips! I have already won a T-shirt, but wanted to tell my tips

1. Make a list and catagorize them by A. Must Haves B. Really Want C. Possibly want

2. Don't promise to pick up items for anyone! 

3. Bring gum or a drink/I always get dry mouth and don't want to worry about my breath stinking 

4. Try not to get too aggravated. Everyone is there just trying to get a deal too.

I don't know if I have anything original to add after reading all of these great posts. I have to concur with wearing a waist bag, taking someone with you, having your cell phone, carrying store ads as well as having whatever electronic lists available and taking the time to stop in between stores if necessary to eat so you don't pass out. My favorite thing to do has been this: most years we go to walmart first. Usually they are open so much earlier and we may not have anything to go to after for quite a while, especially when we are able to price match. After the first five minute rush and we get everything on our list that we can, we make a sweep of the store to look for additional items. I don't know if people get tired of waiting in line, they have to rush off to another store or they just don't have enough money for all of the items they grabbed in the heat of the moment, but we find shopping carts of door busters left all over throughout the store. My sister and I walk around checking out the contents of these abandoned carts and can usually find anything that we were unable to grab during the chaos of the door busters. It works every time. And my biggest tip of all times.... HAVE FUN! Don't take it too seriously if you don't get your door buster.

Tips: if you can get certain items online and don't necessarily need them right then; get them! It'll save you time in store to focus on door busters.

Also, make friends with people while your in line waiting on non ticketed items. Last year at WM, there was some items being passed out and could only get one,per person. An older woman and I got what we wanted for each other(all the same prices) paid for them and gave them to each other after we checked out.