Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

And even if the game is made for the older system, all the development money is going into the Xbox 1/PS4 version of the game.  A great example is Madden 15.  most of the great new features in the game are NOT in the xbox 360/ps 3 versions at all. 

Anyone think the PS4 will come down in price or do you think it will just be a bundled deal?  Not sure if I should buy one now to get it out of the way or wait closer to BF. 

I really doubt the ps4 or xbox one will be on sale this holiday season.  It's only been a year since launch and normally consoles are bundled with games before dropping in price.  MS lowered the price to one sku - they have selling a version of the xbox one for $400 instead of $450 that doesn't include Kinect.  But it technically wasn't a price drop, but a different sku - it doesn't have kinect, and it was due to the fact that the ps4 has been outselling the xbox one by a good margin every month.  I believe both consoles will be selling bundles (consoles bundled with games for 400, maybe consoles bundled with an extra controller and game for about 450, and the destiny ps4 bundle currently priced @ 450 maybe priced at 400).  

I saw some questions about which console to pick.  Specifically, in a case where the child wants a 360.  That's a really tough call.  If his friends have a 360, he will want a 360 to play with them.  You could jump the gun and get him an xbox one now.  But, the ps4 has been outselling xbox one, and many people have surprisingly jumped from the 360 to the ps4.  I say surprisingly not because it is a bad system (some people argue it's the best of the two), but normally this trend takes a while to occur.  I would hold out as long as possible to see what console to get him/her.  But I would keep in mind that the ps3 and 360 are at the end of their life cycles and are already seeing limited game releases.  

Edited by ItsMeD

That is exactly the problem.  You either need to delete stuff off your HDD to get the required space or get a bigger HDD.  My son was texting me after we surprised him by buying Destiny for his 360 and he was immediately saying he needed me to go buy him a new hdd.  Whoa - there.  I told him to start deleting stuff off his current hdd - he was able to clear enough room to get the game to work.

He can buy a large flash drive and plug that into his xbox for addition storage if he is running out of space on his hdd. Flash drives are a lot cheaper then a new hdd. Thats what we did.  Works just fine.

I will be looking for The Crew and the new battlefield. Not sure if I will be picking them up before BF or after.

The Crew has been delayed, and wont be releasing until December.  They really shot themselves in the foot and will miss Black Friday.  If the sales don't do well the first week or so, there is always the possibility that it'll drop in price right before Christmas, but I doubt it.  I think it'll drop in price right after Christmas.  A lot of games usually drop in price right after Christmas; Call of Duty is a good example.  Also, are you talking about Battlefield Hardline?  If so, I think that game releases next year.  

Think the 360 will have any good Black Friday sales? My kid just wants to play minecraft. Walmart has a bundle for $179. Think I will get one lower?

I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 and ps3 drop in price for Black Friday.  They are pushing the new consoles, and will want to get as many sales as they can on their old consoles.  It's still too soon to hit the magic number of $100 in my opinion, but I can see some sort of price drop on existing prices, or load consoles with an extra 2 or 3 games bundled in.  

Think the 360 will have any good Black Friday sales? My kid just wants to play minecraft. Walmart has a bundle for $179. Think I will get one lower?

Yeah I would wait probably see one for $149 or less.  Sony and MS really want to push out their old consoles at this point.

One thing for anyone considering PS4…..

I found out after I purchased it that most games will require you to purchase subscriptions to Sony network. I played COD BLACK OPS on my ps3 all day without any issues, when I got my PS4 and started playing COD Ghosts it required me to be on the PlayStation network to play on-line… not a huge deal, but definitely wasn’t looking to be spending about $50yr extra to play games.

AND IT IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE

My boys say playing Minecraft on the PC is a far better experience.  The ability to access all kinds of custom servers and install mods and the like make the PC a better platform for the game.  They'll have Skype running in the background so they can chat with their buddies and just go to town for as long as me and their mom will let them. 

So if all they want is to play Minecraft, I wouldn't get a console game system.

One thing for anyone considering PS4…..

I found out after I purchased it that most games will require you to purchase subscriptions to Sony network. I played COD BLACK OPS on my ps3 all day without any issues, when I got my PS4 and started playing COD Ghosts it required me to be on the PlayStation network to play on-line… not a huge deal, but definitely wasn’t looking to be spending about $50yr extra to play games.

AND IT IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE

That is a good point.  Sony followed suit and now requires a fee to play online.  It's included in PS plus, so if you subscribe to PS plus, then you're good to go.  The good thing about ps plus is that you also get 2-3 a month included in the subscription, so it off sets a bit.  That said, you technically do not need ps plus.  Sony doesn't put anything else behind a paywall.  So, if you will only play sp games, then you don't need to subscribe, unless you want the free games.  If you want to play online, you'll have to subscribe to ps plus.  I'm 99% sure that holiday bundles will include some sort of ps plus deal - either a free year, or 3 months.

Edited by ItsMeD

Right now qvc and shopnbc are running bundle deals at 99.00 a month for 5-6 months which is good since you make the 1st payment Bd it ships.

I bought my daughter the Xbox360 w/kinect bundle in 2009 it was 100. A month for 6 months it included xbox360, kinect, 3gAmes, controller, 2 months gold, 2yr wArrenty.

This year I will get the xboxone bundle with the black oops deal of destiny deal.

I bought my son a 360 last Christmas from QVC...i have been holiday shopping with them for years!!!! Great deals and being able to spread the payments out over 5-6 monts is a plus!!!!

I decided if we can't get a 32' tv on BF this year then i would purchase one from QVC or ShopHQ... Also been eyeing ipods from QVC...but think I'll wait until Nov or Dec to order that...

I've been thinking about buying a blu ray player for a while now, but would it be smarter just to get a ps3?  I have a 360 and I don't play it as much as I used to, so I doubt I would play the ps3 much.  What other benefits would I have buying a ps3 over just getting a cheap blu ray player?  I only have 3-4 blu ray discs just becuase it was just as cheap to buy the bd/dvd comobos so I'm in no rush, but was curious if now was the time to buy or should I wait a bit longer.

I've been thinking about buying a blu ray player for a while now, but would it be smarter just to get a ps3?  I have a 360 and I don't play it as much as I used to, so I doubt I would play the ps3 much.  What other benefits would I have buying a ps3 over just getting a cheap blu ray player?  I only have 3-4 blu ray discs just becuase it was just as cheap to buy the bd/dvd comobos so I'm in no rush, but was curious if now was the time to buy or should I wait a bit longer.

I'm assuming there will be sales for the ps3 on Black Friday.  I'm sure you will be able to find heavily discounted blu ray players also, but I'd say go for the ps3.  One, it connects online so you'll essentially have a blu ray player connected to the internet - some blu rays have special online features.  You'll also have access to the apps on the ps3.  You mentioned you already have a 360, so you have access to similar apps already (netflix, amazon prime, etc.).  However, if you are not using your 360 much as you mentioned, you can cancel your xbox live subscription.  MS places all their apps behind the live paywall, where sony does not.  If you already cancelled live, then you'll just use the apps on the ps3.  You'll also be able to play any ps3 games you may have missed out or were curious about.

Finally, and probably most importantl to you, the ps3 is/was a great blu ray player.  I'm not sure about right now, but for years it was considered the best blu ray player on the market.  It was also the recommended blu ray player for the Criterion Collection for some time (I'm not sure if it currently is). 

Yes, you will be able to find a blu ray player for less money.  But you will be getting more for your money with a ps3.  I would normally recommend just going straight to the ps4 at this point, but if you don't see yourself going out and buying/waiting for new games, then you can always just get the cheaper ps3 and enjoying that.  

Edited by ItsMeD

I am also hoping to find the Xbox 360 w/Kinect.  My daughter as wanted one for a while and we feel that this is the year to get her one.  I wish that I would have gotten her one the year that they were on sale for 199 with a 50.00 gc.

I do agree that this will probably be the year for sales on the Xbox 360 and PS3.  I would consider getting a PS3 for my boys.  They are still playing on the Gamecube.  They have a PS2, but it has quit working now.

The PS3 has for several years been considered one of, if not the best blu ray player on the market.  It's basically the same as buying a web enabled Blu Ray player as you can also use the PS3 for netflix, hulu plus etc

• Like 1

Can anyone weigh in on an Xbox 360 console system versus an XBOX One? My DS10 is adamit that he wanst the XBOX 360 and not the newer XBOX ONE. He said it's because the games he likes are only available on 360. I think it's because he buddy has a 360. I am inclined to buy the newer system thinking it will be better for long term game availability. I realize that if I go with the 360 it will be cheaper and I could potentially get games cheaper. Does anyone have any advice one way or another? Either way, I am assuming there will be game bundles available on Black Friday. Any advice or suggestions that anyone has is much appreciated. This is one area I have no clue on! I know he wants the new Madden football game and that is available on both consoles.

Thanks in advance!

My general advise on game systems is buy what your kids friends have because the most they will get out of it is playing against friends/others online. So if his buddy has a 360, get the 360. Most of the games on the One will be available on the 360 as well for some time. I would even check craigslist to see if some people who have an xbox one might be looking to unload a 360 for a good price.

I agree about getting the 360 if that is what your son wants. One thing is to make sure you get enough memory on the 360. Added memory can cost ~$130.00. If possible get a console with 250GB or higher. This is necessary to play a lot of the games. Last year I bought my son the XBox 360 4GB and a couple games. One of the games was Battlefield 4. 4GB was not enough memory for this game and they would not allow you to use a jump drive for it. I felt horrible that he couldn't play his game, which was the one he wanted most. I got the 4GB at Walmart for $99 or $98. There were higher memory console bundles that I now wish I'd have gotten for around $250. Make sure you research the games to find out how much memory they need and whether they can use a jump drive.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Bobbi0125

I saved so much on video games last year during black friday. All online sales. Lost lots of sleep and walked around like a zombie for a couple of days, but the savings were so worth it. Cheers to saving again this year. I have 3 boys, each needing the same game. The obstacle for me is the stores putting a limit on how many can be purchased. I use two computers and a tablet to grab the items.

Any suggestions on games to consider for a 10 y/o boy? We have a WiiU. 

I'm not very familiar with Wiiu game library, but I'd probably suggest Super Smash Brothers, mario kart, and mario 3d world? 

I'm hoping they have a PS4 deal for my sons. That's our big gift to them this year. Hopefully there's a deal that can ease my pocket.

I'm hoping they have good bundles.  Look for consoles bundled with games and/or extra controller and psn cards. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

After looking at several video game systems and the games available for each here is my take:

Wii- good for younger kids, but will be the next obsolete gaming system

Wii U- works backward compatible so can use the wii games........again good for young kids, or those that like the dance games, etc

The Xbox or Playstation seems to be more aimed toward teen boys and college age boys that like to play beat em up, smash em up kind of games. Not something that I want my 8 year old playing, or anything that I think my 21 year old daughter would be interested in. I do like that they can play with friends, siblings, etc that might not live with them. The games just seem to be a bit geared toward the older boys. Didnt see anything I thought my girls would like as far as games.

So I guess I am hoping for a good deal on the Wii U unless anyone else has any other suggestions. 

Edited by bripoe

After looking at several video game systems and the games available for each here is my take:

Wii- good for younger kids, but will be the next obsolete gaming system

Wii U- works backward compatible so can use the wii games........again good for young kids, or those that like the dance games, etc

The Xbox or Playstation seems to be more aimed toward teen boys and college age boys that like to play beat em up, smash em up kind of games. Not something that I want my 8 year old playing, or anything that I think my 21 year old daughter would be interested in. I do like that they can play with friends, siblings, etc that might not live with them. The games just seem to be a bit geared toward the older boys. Didnt see anything I thought my girls would like as far as games.

So I guess I am hoping for a good deal on the Wii U unless anyone else has any other suggestions. 

I would caution against making broad generalizations about the consoles because it's more about the games you get more than the console they're on.  My son has had a PS3 since age 8 and we carefully monitor what games we buy for him.  Lego games are great for that age range.  

Question: My youngest son wants the Disney Infiniti 2.0 and Skylander Trap team. He has the editions from last year. Do I have to buy the complete set again, can I just buy the figures?

I don't know anything about disney infiniti, but as for skylanders trap team you will need to purchase the whole thing again. The portal is completely different and is required to play trap team. I have been able to get the latest skylander games on BF the last 2 years in a row for $38, so I am hoping to get trap team at the same price this year!

Question: My youngest son wants the Disney Infiniti 2.0 and Skylander Trap team. He has the editions from last year. Do I have to buy the complete set again, can I just buy the figures?

I would go in and talk to someone at your local Gamestop.  My understanding is that 1.0 figures will work on 2.0 but I wonder if 2.0 figures would work on the 1.0 thing?  I have no idea.  Luckily I did not get it yet for my kids but they want it now that the Marvel characters are coming out for 2.0

There's some good games coming out in early November like a new Lego DC game and the new Assassin's Creed game anyone think those will be on sale or too new to be included on BF?

• Like 1