Holiday Teacher gifts

totallyBF

Gift cards to local places where they shop for classroom supplies is ALWAYS appreciated! ;) I know from personal experience. Also, if you know that they frequent a certain coffee place, restaurant, or store a gift card comes in handy. Don't forget a message on why you appreciate them. Means more to have kind words than an actual gift in hand.

This year, my boys have male teachers, so that makes it a bit harder.  Last year, I made ruffle scarves for only the cost of the yarn (less than $5 per scarf, and super easy even if you don't know how to crochet!) and the teachers loved them.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ruffle+scarf+tutorial&sm=1

Since they have men teachers this year, I am considering a giftcard to redbox and a popcorn/candy bucket that I saw at Target.  The buckets are $9.99 each, and I will get a giftcard for 5 movie rentals, which is an additional $6.

I am a Kindergarten aide (to 53 of the little ones!) and also have kids at our school. The Room Parents are in charge of getting a class gift for teachers and aides and each teacher and aide filled out our "Wish List" or preferences.

Having said that,I always receive extra gifts from most of the children because little ones like to shop for others and are so happy to give gifts! I would never tell them, "Thanks,but you've already done enough!" and I've received extra gift cards to Target,restaurants,homemade treats (which I DO appreciate-not everyone does though),candles,soaps,BBW items,and beautiful cards made by loving hands :).

For my childrens' teachers,I look at their Wish Lists and purchase from two lists: something for the class and something exclusively for the teacher. Ask your child/ren what their teacher likes. Do they like a certain sports team? Do they prefer coffee or tea? Do they like candy/chocolate? Do they collect something special?

I am an aide to 3 teachers so I'm lucky that I know what they need for each classroom. One teacher might need extra dry erase markers; one might a new game the whole class can play or flash cards. Most teachers provide extra basic supplies kids need like crayons,markers,pencils,pens,stickers,pencil grips,and colored pencils. I always pick up extras from Back To School shopping and make a basket for them. Also,don't forget any extra snacks you might have that teachers would need to have on hand for those kids who forget theirs.School supplies are usually running on the low end by Christmas,so tissues,Clorox wipes,diaper wipes,hand sanitizer and paper towels might be something really appreciated by a teacher who would otherwise need to buy them.

For older grades,maybe look into a classroom subscription to a magazine or newspaper. Books are usually appreciated but check and see what is needed (an experienced teacher usually has a good class library but a newer teacher would appreciate most anything!). I've found most teachers love something that EVERYONE can enjoy.

Really, ANY gift is (or should be) truly appreciated and loved so whatever you do,know that it is well received :)

• Like 1

Love the homemade scarf idea!

I'm torn about who to give gifts to. DS has 2 morning daycare teachers, 1 afternoon teacher who is constant and then there's always a random one, plus the teacher he used to have while one was on maternity leave who I really like. He still sees her every day because she's in the classroom next door that he'll be moving into probably soon after the new year. There's another teacher in there who is getting moved out of the room and I don't know who is getting moved in. Then there's all the support staff - the directors etc. I'm thinking of making cookies or something for the staff but give specific gifts to at least his 3 permanent teachers. I'd like to do something for the other teacher in the next room too, but maybe we'll see how the budget is looking when it gets closer.

Love the homemade scarf idea!

I'm torn about who to give gifts to. DS has 2 morning daycare teachers, 1 afternoon teacher who is constant and then there's always a random one, plus the teacher he used to have while one was on maternity leave who I really like. He still sees her every day because she's in the classroom next door that he'll be moving into probably soon after the new year. There's another teacher in there who is getting moved out of the room and I don't know who is getting moved in. Then there's all the support staff - the directors etc. I'm thinking of making cookies or something for the staff but give specific gifts to at least his 3 permanent teachers. I'd like to do something for the other teacher in the next room too, but maybe we'll see how the budget is looking when it gets closer.

wow love this idea!!

Giftcard for a nearby place for lunch or games that are age appropriate for their classroom. Kids are constantly losing piece to the games or steal them. After you get your necessities on BF hit the $5 games. Try to  stay away from coffee mugs & candles, teachers get tons of them.

Edited by chrisjuvers
  • Like 1