Official Black Friday LAPTOP COMPUTER Discussion Thread

Brad

Well Jen8112 I thought about what you said about being happy with the lower price laptop so why not stick with that for my dd 14. So, I went to WM this morning and bought two of the Compaq $288 laptops. One for my dd11 and the other for my dd14.

Good for you, I'm glad you got them! Hope they work out good for you! And hopefully my DS 10 will be happy with a $100 netbook if they have them for BF. ;)

Ok, I am posting my question here instead of on "hot buys" because I need computer people! I hope this is allowed! There is a Apple MacBook Notebook - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, Combo, 13.3" Display, MAC OS X v.10.4 on "Hot Deals" on this site for $499 that is an off-lease product. Has anyone purchased an off-leased product before? It will be 2-3 years old with a 3 month warranty. I need a new laptop and would love a Mac, but can't spend $1,000. What do you guys think?!

You should be able to get a core2duo and 80GB hard drive w/ 1 GB for much cheaper than $499!!!!

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=D620-C2D200-MAR-3C&cat=NBB same stuff or better for only $280

ohhh, sorry, just noticed that in your post it was loaded with Mac, ignore the above, it is Windows.

Edited by nirvana4all
saw Mac info too late.

Ok...two laptops so far that are in the performance range and at a decent price. Radio shack has an HP G62-347NR, and AAFES has a G62-348NR. The only difference I see is the 348 has an INTEL Pentium P6100 dual core, and the 347 has an Athlon II dual core. Which one is the better one?

I missed the WM deal last Saturday (out of town) but my 14yo son needs a new laptop. He got one of the 2008 Acers whose motherboard has the powering up problem. Figured it out after warranty expired :( so I'm looking for a laptop deal. Doesn't have to be super powerful but has to work. Just started looking... Anything promising on BF? or (hopefully) before?

This goes on sale 11/12-11/13 at Bestbuy tomorrow: I dont know if this is a great computer or good deal but I thought i would let you know rlthomsen.

HP Laptop with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor

SKU: 1497113

Reg. price: $499.99

Sale: $399.99

Price valid Friday, 11/12 and Saturday, 11/13

Min. 2 per store. While supplies last. No rainchecks or substitutions. Limit of 1 item per customer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Biscotti/1497113.p?id=1218263930939&skuId=1497113&st=1497113&cp=1&lp=1

AMD Turion™ II Processor / 15.6" Display / 3GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive - Biscotti

I missed the WM deal last Saturday (out of town) but my 14yo son needs a new laptop. He got one of the 2008 Acers whose motherboard has the powering up problem. Figured it out after warranty expired :( so I'm looking for a laptop deal. Doesn't have to be super powerful but has to work. Just started looking... Anything promising on BF? or (hopefully) before?

I would never buy an Acer again. Got one on a BF that only lasted a year. HP is the way to go.

This goes on sale 11/12-11/13 at Bestbuy tomorrow: I dont know if this is a great computer or good deal but I thought i would let you know rlthomsen.

HP Laptop with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor

SKU: 1497113

Reg. price: $499.99

Sale: $399.99

Price valid Friday, 11/12 and Saturday, 11/13

Min. 2 per store. While supplies last. No rainchecks or substitutions. Limit of 1 item per customer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Biscotti/1497113.p?id=1218263930939&skuId=1497113&st=1497113&cp=1&lp=1

AMD Turion™ II Processor / 15.6" Display / 3GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive - Biscotti

for a non waiting in line on BF deal, that is pretty decent. Cheap upgrade would be to go on newegg with a geek and buy 2 more 1GB sticks for the laptop and take out the 2 512k sticks.

for a non waiting in line on BF deal, that is pretty decent. Cheap upgrade would be to go on newegg with a geek and buy 2 more 1GB sticks for the laptop and take out the 2 512k sticks.

It's a laptop so has only two memory slots. The memory is arranged as a 2GB and a 1GB, so your suggestion is pointless. A memory upgrade is almost useless with that laptop.....upgrading from 3GB to 4GB would give no worthwhile benefit at all.

Given that you can pick up ram so cheaply, the install is so easy, it has a 64bit OS to utilize over 3GB, topped off with the fact that the video card is using shared memory; so any memory you add can go to the 1450mb total that video card can use and still leave plenty for your system. I think that my suggestion of a POSSIBLE cheap upgrade was warranted. You can probably pick up a 2GB stick for that laptop for $20 to $35 on amazon.com, forums.extremeoverclocking.com, etc. I was incorrect as you noted in thinking it had more than 2 ram slots. SORRY...

Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to a bluray player on a laptop(equip. & install). Also what other specs to make sure the laptop can run bluray on my tv. It seems like this black Friday will have alot of deals but none with bluray so I am trying to figure out other alternatives.

Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to a bluray player on a laptop(equip. & install). Also what other specs to make sure the laptop can run bluray on my tv. It seems like this black Friday will have alot of deals but none with bluray so I am trying to figure out other alternatives.

Actually, I think it'd still be cheaper to get a Blu-Ray player.

The upgrade (purchasing the drive, if it'll even work in your laptop, paying for installation) and then even making sure your laptop has the correct inputs to work on your TV... I'd go get a Blu-Ray player.

I already have a bluray player. I just have a large amount of kids movies on bluray, and since I take my laptop on trips and vacations anyway figure it will be easiest to just upgrade the laptop so my little one will still be able to watch her movies when we travel.

Cheapest would likely be a portable player. Agree with freesia, good luck with $ and compatibility getting the bluray added into the laptop.

Could it be upgraded to an 8gb like what the specs say? Just asking since I am on the lookout for a replacement laptop for me and this would fit the bill.

It should be able to be, but at about $130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294&cm_re=ddr3-_-20-231-294-_-Product it would be overkill based on the video card and processor that is included.

Ok...two laptops so far that are in the performance range and at a decent price. Radio shack has an HP G62-347NR, and AAFES has a G62-348NR. The only difference I see is the 348 has an INTEL Pentium P6100 dual core, and the 347 has an Athlon II dual core. Which one is the better one?

Pentium

Has Dell online posted any deals this year for BF? 3 years ago, I got a great deal on a Vostro for my son, but it's now officially fried and I need a new one. I keep looking at their current deals, but wonder if they've got something special planned for BF. Anyone know? :smart: Thanks!

Is WalMart's eMachine with the Celeron a decent computer? Is emachine a branch of a major company?

Selena

eMachine was purchased by either HP or Dell back about 5-6 years ago. I bought the eMachine laptop at Walmart last year and it's awesome. Going to get another one this year and use it to replace my desktop.

Actually, EMachine was bought by Gateway. That is correct. What you didn't say is Gateway was later bought by Acer. I also bought the Emachine 199 special from last year and it works flawless. My first Acer I bought a few years broke in less than a year. Haven't heard anyone complain about the 199 Emachine laptop. Not a world beater but works great for my 9and 14 yr old.