The Holiday Shopping Rant

MonsterMutts

If this isn't allowed please let me know. However sometimes it's nice just to get it out :)

First I went to Kohls. The whole- Get out of my way attitude applied - Next Walmart. I said excuse me to a guy and he about died... Couldn't believe I actually said it. I laughed and his comment was- It's way to early for people to be in such a bad mood. I had to agree :yup:

Oh I know what you mean! More often than not, people don't say please, thank you, or excuse me, and probably 75% of the time when I say them it either goes ignored or I get a weird look. But, when I do happen to come across another person who still believes that manners matter, we are always shocked to hear someone else say please/thank you/excuse me. Its sad.

My favorite is when I hold the door open for someone and they can't bother to acknowledge by saying thank your or smiling or anything. . .as if I was SUPPOSED to hold the door for them. :mad:

Ooooh this aggravates me also. However, it's very rewarding when they DO smile and say thank-you. :)

I really don't know what happened to people, that they're just so rediculously bankrupt when it comes to common courtesy!! I mean, just last week, my oldest son saw a man at the store, who dropped stuff out of his bag and before I could say anything he went over and helped the man pick up two bags of groceries off the floor. My son smiled at him and the the guy said 'Thanks Kid!" in a not so nice tone, (I'm hoping it's because he felt like a jackass for overloading his bags like he did.) and my son replied, again with a smile, The Name's Jesse! And he held out his hand for him to shake. The guy looked at him, said, "Whatever, Kid!" and walked out of the store!!! It really didn't phase him, because of his aspergers, but it ticked me off to the point that I wanted to put a fist in his face!

Hmmm...I think maybe I live in a pretty nice town. For the most part everyone seems to be very courteous and friendly in the stores I shop. I've been to Target, WinCo, Fred Meyer, Walmart and TRU all in the past couple weeks and can not recall one negative encounter with other shoppers or staff. Now driving on the freeway is another story...

Wow, I've just realized how much shopping I do...:eek:

I was just thinking about this on Monday! DD6 and I went grocery shopping at our military commissary. This particular day was unlike any other, in the sense that the commissary was full of older retirees and their spouses. As well as a few moms with small children who were screaming very loudly as they shopped.

There were so many times that I said "excuse me" as I tried to get around their carts parked in the middle of the aisle, or they simply were just standing there way too long trying to figure out what soup to buy. I just wanted to push our cart by so we could get done.

I got jabbed in the side with an elbow by a man who was at least 2.5 times my age. I couldn't believe it! I know my mom taught me manners. I use them frequently and find it irritating when others don't.

It took all I had to not tell this guy how rude he was. I just don't get the lack of manners, appreciation, or even chivalry in men. What happened to allow ladies to go first, or holding doors open?

Shopping isn't an excuse to get your frustrations out on others.

I really don't know what happened to people, that they're just so rediculously bankrupt when it comes to common courtesy!! I mean, just last week, my oldest son saw a man at the store, who dropped stuff out of his bag and before I could say anything he went over and helped the man pick up two bags of groceries off the floor. My son smiled at him and the the guy said 'Thanks Kid!" in a not so nice tone, (I'm hoping it's because he felt like a jackass for overloading his bags like he did.) and my son replied, again with a smile, The Name's Jesse! And he held out his hand for him to shake. The guy looked at him, said, "Whatever, Kid!" and walked out of the store!!! It really didn't phase him, because of his aspergers, but it ticked me off to the point that I wanted to put a fist in his face!

My son has held doors to be courtesy and people/kids have made faces/laughed at him :mad: not nice...

And I myself cannot stand the odd looks (or tisk noise) I get when I say excuse me when I walk infront of someone in an aisle looking at something, .... I was taught to do that. Sometimes I'll hear a noise...or a "whatever" My lord, don't they know what excuse me means?

One day I wondered maybe some people think you only say that when you expel gas....maybe she thinks I "F@rted" ??

tntsmomie ~ the people who have NO CLUE that you need by are another frustration in and of itself. I NEVER DO that, I never clog an aisle! How can they have no peripheral vision/awareness? And you/I say excuse me really nice and they ignore you...but if you move there cart--:eek: you are a bad bad person...

I have noticed that people everywhere in stores, on the roads, dr's offices are just miserable in general. I think its because we are all stressed out, times are so hard for so many of us. I have also noticed so many cars breaking down, and my husband said the other day he had seen about 5 people driving cars on those little donut tires - must of gotten a flat and no money to get the other tire repaced right away. I am in NO way making excuses for miserable people, poor manners just "irk" me terrible but I don't think its going to get any better. I think stores on black friday are going to be insane but I think over all sales will be WAY WAY WAY DOWN this holiday season. I know our holiday list is cut to the bare bones - even Thanksgiving dinner is cut way back - less side dishes, less pies. I did get a turkey for 39cents a pound so that it HUGE!

And I myself cannot stand the odd looks (or tisk noise) I get when I say excuse me when I walk infront of someone in an aisle looking at something, .... I was taught to do that. Sometimes I'll hear a noise...or a "whatever" My lord, don't they know what excuse me means?

One day I wondered maybe some people think you only say that when you expel gas....maybe she thinks I "F@rted" ??

tntsmomie ~ the people who have NO CLUE that you need by are another frustration in and of itself. I NEVER DO that, I never clog an aisle! How can they have no peripheral vision/awareness? And you/I say excuse me really nice and they ignore you...but if you move there cart--:eek: you are a bad bad person...

:rotflol: at what I highlighted in pink.

I move carts no-problem and always wave and smile when they give me "the look." How dare I move their rather large cart, stuck in the middle of the aisle while there are TWO of us standing there looking at it like we're gonna move it with our minds. ;) The other person's too afraid to touch it, but I have no issues with it.

Kill 'em with kindness!

Edited by tntsmomie
I can't spell....

I can't believe how some people have acted when you all were being courteous and kind.

I always smile and say 'Thank you" and hold doors for people and I don't think I have ever had anyone make a rude comment or make a face at me. Most everyone has thanked me and smiled and many times we get in to a conversation about how nice a day is.

There is a lady at a Starbucks inside a King Soopers grocery store at we go to sometimes and she is always in a crabby mood and never smiles. My husband mentioned it one day and I said "Just remember, we don"t know what is going on in her life, she may be having a tough time." he said "Yeah, you are right"

On Halloween she was wearing these cute ghost earrings and I commented on how cute they were and she smiled and said thanks! :) I was so happy!

I ran across this in the Dollar Tree the other day, a little girl was kind enough to move her mothers cart out of the way because the store employee just decided to park a returns cart in practically the middle of the aisle and just began to unload while causing a backup. When I thanked the little girl she looked clueless like "that's what I'm supposed to do". Have seen people get stuck holding doors forever and with no thanks.

It doesn't take a lot to be courteous. I have a very stressful job and am very hectic but would feel bad if I were the one in the way. If someone is behind me or coming towards me and I see I'm blocking their space I try to move ASAP, moving the cart a little this way or that makes everyones life easier and its not a huge gesture of any means. It irks me to be in the supermarket and have a clog just cleaned only for the moron in front of me to create it again.

I especially detest the bi@#$y ppl at checkouts who try to cut in front of you because its as season for kindness.(I am not referring to BF) I am not opposed to LETTING someone in front of me and if I have a cart full of stuff and lanes are full I will ask ppl if they want to pass ahead but I'm damned if you're going to CUT in front of me and then tell me to cheer up because its the season to be kind. It doesn't take a season for kindness and their little saying works both ways, be kind and get BEHIND me. grrrrrr

heck - I can't even get folks in MY OFFICE to look me in the eye and say Good Morning while they are walking down the hall. They avoid looking at me by staring at the floor.

I always make a point of saying "hello" anyway.

same thing here at work... I say "good morning, (insert co-worker's name)" .... most at least mumble "morning" back... but one in particular looks me dead in the face and keeps walking... I don't get it... but I keep doing it anyway.... makes me feel like I tried and if she's going to ignore me than maybe it will annoy her that I don't stop.... :tongue1:

Holding a door for someone and then not getting a thank you (like I'm their servant) is the WORST. I always just say "You're WELCOME" in a sarcastic tone. I don't know if it's because I embarass them or they just have their rear end on their shoulders, but they go out of their way not to look me in the eye.

I hate everyone else has such rude encounters, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world that has been taught any manners and that the rest of the population is just crabby, crabby, crabby. Nice to know that some people still believe in manners!

I know exactly what you mean! I taught my dd to hold open doors for other people and when they don't say thank you I always say (pretty loudly) that they must have forgotten to say thank you. LOL. Maybe they don't care but it makes me feel better and it makes them look like an a@@ to the other people standing around.

I drive a school bus and I always say good morning to each student as they get on the bus and "have a great day or night" when they get off the bus. I say this to EACH and EVERY student. At first I probably only got about a 30% response rate - now I would say it is closer to 75%.

I take special pains to teach my boys to be kind and say, please, thank you, excuse me, and have a nice day and to hold doors for people. It amazes me some of the kids that get on the bus and totally ignore me. There is one girl that I have had now for a year and a half (started this route after Christmas last year) and she have never once said anything to me. Even when I talk directly to her she doesn't acknowledge me or that I said anything. I just shrug it off because I figure she is shy or something but it looks like rudeness and sometimes it rubs me wrong. I wish all parents would take the time to teach their children how to be polite.

There is one boy on the bus who rushes to tell me "have a good day/night" before I can say it and then he always says "ha I said it before you", lol. I just laugh and say thank you, you too.

my opinion is that the manners (or lack thereof) in our society today is from the sense of entitlement that is pervasive in our society. it begins in the crib/playpen where little mary or johnny is given a choice or is spoken to like they are an adult and it continues through school where "my child would NEVER do that" and into the work place where we have a disgruntled group who feel like the world (and their boss) owes them way more than the compensation they get for what they produce in a day.

this is just my opinion so don't flame me. and i'm sorry to sound like such a downer.

now in my experience, i do get some who are courteous and others who expect you to bow to their discourteous ways (blocking they aisle, not saying excuse me, etc). then others who are just as nice that they couldn't be kinder. the other day a kid (looked to be 7 or 8) was running around in the aisle i was in at the market. she saw me, we made eye contact but she didn't get out of the way even though i'm behind the cart pushing it. i was not adoring her little routine. the mother was oblivious until i said "excuse me" in a firm tone. then she turned around and grabbed the kid by the arm and moved her out of my way. the mom never acknowledge my presence, only moved the kid. people are in their own little world and God forbid they should put any restrictions on their kids fearing it may stifle their creativity.

i'm not a hard a$$, just a mom who taught her kids manners and to respect their elders and others in society. the world does not revolve around me or my kids. i'm getting to the point where if i don't expect courtesy, i'm not disappointed if i don't find it. :(

sorry for my long rant. i'll behave now and get off my soapbox. :gd_soapbo

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest gripe is when you see a mother with a stroller struggling to get a door open and push her stroller through, and people just stand there and wait and stare! Hello! Hold the door and help the woman out! You'll get into the store a lot faster too. I DESPISE this behavior. I've had it done to me a number of times, and now I always make sure to help if I see a mom that needs help with a door. (or an elderly person or disabled person) Really, how much more basic can it get?

Yesterday I spent the day shopping with my son, and I was astonished at how many people just parked their carts in the middle of the aisle and seemed completely oblivious to the fact that they were not the only people in the store! There were also so many kids being completely ignored. In Costco there was a girl about 4 years old sitting on the floor looking at books. My kids range in ages 6 months to 8 years, so my eyes automatically pick up on small ones around me, but had it been another oblivious shopper that little girl would have been run right over. Kids in Toys R Us running around like crazy people or playing with the display toys right in the aisles so no one can get passed. One boy was rolling around on the floor (actually on the floor, straight body, arms pulled in, rolling through the store), and his parents seemed they couldn't care less that he was blocking tons of shoppers from getting around. Yes, I know there are kids out there with special needs that do things that seem strange (I know, I have an autistic child), but there is no reason for parents to allow the behavior to go ignored with a store full of shoppers. (I don't know if that was the case with any of these kids, I'm just saying......)

I remember when my oldest was about 4 and we were shopping at Christmas time. Someone was blocking the aisle, and my daughter politely said excuse me. Shopper ignored her, so she said it again just a little louder. Shopper still ignored her, so she said it yet again even louder. Shopper ignored her again (shopper knew we were there, I saw her glance our direction, and my DD was standing next to her speaking loud enough for the woman to hear her) Finally, out of pure frustration, my daughter exclaimed "I said excuse me many times, and you are just being rude! You need to move now" I later told my daughter that she was a little rude by saying that, but in the moment, was proud of her for standing up for herself.