Site to Store Lay-away

Nate Dogg

My wife was talking to the security people at out local WM today (caught a shop lifter). She mentioned that she wished they still had lay-away and they told her (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! this part is secret) don't tell anyone, but they are going to start a walmart.com site to store lay-away program. She could not get any specifics, though.

Has anyone else heard anything?

I am sure they did not mean don't tell you guys. We are family, right ;).

My guess would be that if you order something online and have it shipped site-to-store they will let you keep it there for as long as you want. Since it is already paid for, they won't lose any money on it. That's what they complained about with lay-away, people would put what they thought would be the hot toys on lay-away then never pay for them and pick them up causing Walmart to lose money.

Ehh, just a guess.

My guess would be that if you order something online and have it shipped site-to-store they will let you keep it there for as long as you want. Since it is already paid for, they won't lose any money on it. That's what they complained about with lay-away, people would put what they thought would be the hot toys on lay-away then never pay for them and pick them up causing Walmart to lose money.

Ehh, just a guess.

I think I remember reading in another thread on here somewhere that you only have a certain amount of time to pick up stuff you order online and have shipped to a store.

I think I remember reading in another thread on here somewhere that you only have a certain amount of time to pick up stuff you order online and have shipped to a store.

That's correct at this time. My GUESS is that if they are going to have a 'site to store lay-away' that would mean extending the time you have to pick it up. Too many people said they used lay-away to 'hide' their purchases from family members but Walmart doesn't want to have actual lay-away again so a good solution would be letting you order it online, paying for it when ordered, having it shipped site to store, and letting you keep it in there for a longer period of time for the holidays.

As I said, this is only a guess on my part based in part on the OP's post and things I have heard elsewhere;)

I work at Walmart and actually am over Site to Store. The only thing that changes around the holiday for Site to Store is that we keep items for 28 days instead of 21 days. After 28 days it is sent back or stocked on the shelf.

The layaway site to store is probably that you go online , pick the items you want then pay online in payments, when your order is paid in full then they will ship it to the store you choose. I think that will be how it will work> If it happens!

That would be great if it worked that way ; thats like the way KMart is doing it.

Did this already start? Is there info about this online?

I know Walmart may want to not bring back layaway but I think its only a matter of time before they do. Especially since Kmart, TRU, Sears, etc are doing layaway that walmart will feel pressured into doing it in order to keep their business. Me and my husband are personally buying items from tru just b/c of them having layaway. This is just my personal opinion though. It may not happen this year, but I think in the next few years, that they will bring back layaway, even if it means they only bring itback for the holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

TRU is only doing lay away for "Baby Furniture & Any BIG Ticket Items Such As The Play Houses, Kitchens And Electric Cars" And Nothing Else.

Yes, TRU is doing it. Its not advertised on their website (I dont know why), but check with your local store & check out the TRU thread.

I know Walmart may want to not bring back layaway but I think its only a matter of time before they do. Especially since Kmart, TRU, Sears, etc are doing layaway that walmart will feel pressured into doing it in order to keep their business. Me and my husband are personally buying items from tru just b/c of them having layaway. This is just my personal opinion though. It may not happen this year, but I think in the next few years, that they will bring back layaway, even if it means they only bring itback for the holiday.

Sears you can not put these things

The only thing about sears online layaway and i believe in the store as well these items can not be placed on the layaway

Unauthorized Merchandise

The following merchandise cannot be put in Layaway:

• Clearance Merchandise

• Home Appliances

• Automotive Merchandise

• Consumables

• Doorbusters/Early Open Specials

• Licensed Business (i.e. Optical, hearing aids, etc.)

• Gift Cards

• Beer and wine

• Flammable products and fuel

• Food and other perishable merchandise

• Live plants and horticulture

• Oil and chemical based products

• Photo Finishing and Portrait Studio pictures

• Chemicals

• Gas additives

• Magazines

• Paint thinner

• Pool chemicals