Thoughts on how Circuit City's absence will affect tech deals on Black Friday?

Brad

I will miss my yearly standing in line overnight at CC. We only have BB now and there will be no sense in standing in that line as it will fill up way faster than anything this year if they have good deals. I bet the people will be there from Wednesday night now till friday morning. It was like the time when the ps3 came out people were in line for days. not sure how they do this, but the longest line I was ever in was from Thurs night at 6:00 p.m. until 5:00 am fri (blk), but not to bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I really dont see WM, TRU or Target as competition for BB. The only reason I say that is electronics is only a small part of WM, TRU and Targets business model.

Eventhough CC and Cmp USA is gone, BB still has competetion with Wal Mart, TRU and Target. They'll stay the same with the BF sales, as they have in past years. They won't let up.

I really dont see WM, TRU or Target as competition for BB. The only reason I say that is electronics is only a small part of WM, TRU and Targets business model.

TRU I'll give you since their electronics dept is just based on video games and MP3 players, but Wal Mart and Target have a pretty good selection of electronics in store and you could get even more of a selection there on-line, and with Wal Mart's price match guarantee, BB better not let their guard down this season thinking they're the only ones in the electronic selling game.

TRU I'll give you since their electronics dept is just based on video games and MP3 players, but Wal Mart and Target have a pretty good selection of electronics in store and you could get even more of a selection there on-line, and with Wal Mart's price match guarantee, BB better not let their guard down this season thinking they're the only ones in the electronic selling game.

Agree, and I'd go even further and remind that WM has pretty much always brought in at least one ultra cheap laptop and one cheapie desktop specifically for BF, not to mention several cheap priced TV specials for BF. BB better not rest on this BF.....

I think that Newegg.com might step it up a notch (granted they are online only).

In addition to OfficeMax, Office Depot, and Staples.... I think Radio Shack would be wise to step it up a notch.

Granted, none of those places carry DVDs or appliances, but they can all compete on TVs, cordless phones, flash drives, digital cameras, and computers....

I used to shop CC online on Thanksgiving DAY! It was great. I got the deals for BF and never got out of my PJ's!

Will be interesting to see if the re-incarnation of CC works as well.....

Need laptops and netbooks here this year!

There won't be anything different then what you see on SysteMax other websites, Compusa, Tigerdirect. Its all the same stuff same sales. Circuit City is no more. I fear for the people who don't know that and think the website is REALLY Circuit City.

I don't think that BB will have the incentive to offer any exceptional DB or ad pricing, as they have done in the past, with CC out of the picture. And the BB prices last BF weren't anything to write home about...

BB BF lines will probably be longer, as well. Lose a major 'tech' competitor and some retailer(s) will benefit from the loss.

C'mon BB. Make a liar out of me and have some great prices this year. I dare ya!

:eyepoppin:eyepoppin:eyepoppin

• 3 weeks later...

2007 was the last year for CompUSA and 2008 was the last year for Circuit City.

With Best Buy being the only national electronics chain left for BF deals, how do you think this will affect tech deals on BF?

I don't know how their deals will be affected, but if their current trend of crappy customer service is any indication of what's to come, it isn't going to be a net positive. BB has really gone downhill this year. Thanks gosh we have the Internet to buy from. I only go to BB to check out models and then I buy them over the 'net.