help with a maxtor 1tb internal hard drive

sounds like a great price to me. i would check the actual model number against review sites (just google the model number and you should be able to track down info - amazon is probably a good bet). make sure your computer is compatible (i don't know enough to give you more insight than that -- i just know there are different kinds of drives - IDE, ATA - and maybe they don't all work in all computers ?)

bear in mind you'll need to factor in the installation cost, unless you're planning to do it yourself, and the data transfer time and effort.

• 1 month later...

Maxtor is owned by Seagate who's been around even longer (by a couple years - late 70's vs. early 80's). That doesn't mean that particular drive is good... recently for example Seagate 7200.11 line has had some real problems with firmware.

From http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/374/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing

SEAGATE'S FLAGSHIP desktop Barracuda 7200.11 drives, in particular the 1TB (ST31000340AS) units, are failing at an alarming rate and prompting outrage from their faithful customers.

My point is that checking the reputation of the individual drive itself is good advice from Kren :g_thumble