American Girl Dolls

lakj98

Those of you whose daughters have more than one American Girl doll. DO they actually play with all of them?

I bought my daughter her first one for Christmas. She was never really into dolls before that. I bought her the Just like you doll. She loves it. She has played with it every single day and never leaves home with it (except to school of course). So she asked for Chrissa for her birthday. I ordered it, but I did not give it to her yet as her birthday is not until May. However, now she wants the twin dolls.

I am fraid if I keep buying her them she is going to loose interest in them. I told her if I bought her Chrissa that she would not any more after that cause they are not as special when you get alot of them. I know if I dont buy her the twins she will probably ask my mom and my mom will buy them. I don't mind getting them for her as long as she continues to play with them.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience is with these.

BTW my DD is 5. She will be 6 in May.

My girls are getting ready to turn 8 and 5. My almost 5 year old plays with hers constantly and she has more than one. She has her favorite though, that she plays with more than the others but likes to line them up and have them all 'play together'-It's pretty cute (kinda like playing with barbies). My almost 8 year old doesn't play with hers much unless she's playing with her sister then they get them all out and she has the twins and the other dolls too. They definitely take care better care of them than their other toys. The bad thing is, once you buy them one-it's all over with! The buying never stops! :) They have held up very well and the girls love them more than any other toys they have! And my girls have also asked for Chrissa!

It does depend on the child. My dd is now 14, almost 15 and asked for one for Christmas. We didn't get her one because we had plenty to spend money on but she still enjoys them. She doesn't play with them any more but she keeps them and tends to them...ensures their hair is nice etc.

To me they have always been like a nice collectible for her to hand down someday.

Daughter is 11. She has 6 different dolls. It is a tradition between her & her nana each christmas. This Christmas was the first time she didn't get a doll. She choose to be a bed set instead. But It's has just became a grandmother/granddaughter tradition. She displays them in her room. The only time she really plays with them is if she has a friend over & they will change clothes & do the dolls hair. I would like to think she will hand them down to her children one day. They are high quality dolls that should last a very long time. ;)

My daughter (8) has 5 American Girl dolls, as well as the Bitty Twins. She does play with them. I would rather spend money on those than on a bunch of junky little toys that will end up at the bottom of the toybox. American Girl dolls are keepsakes.

My 7 and 9 year old daughters each have 6 - also a tradition from their Nani (grandmother). My mother loves giving such a nicely packaged, pretty gift each Christmas. The girls love getting the magazines and picking out their yearly choices. But, your question was... do they play with them all? The answer: Not really. They play with them in spurts but Bitty Baby is the way ahead favorite. It is difficult to play with 12 dolls at once. They do love them all, though, and the collection is very nice as a keepsake. Compared to all the other toys they have accumulated over the years, I would have to rank these as the best.

I started my 2 year old daughter a collection, I posted want ads through my work, and have bilt a collection that way. She has 2 bitty babies that she plays with now, and she loves them, changing their outfits, and taking care of them. I have 6 of the other dolls that are in our den, she doesn't play with those yet, she hasn't had the opportunity. I just look for deals on them, actually I am going to meet another lady this week that is selling some dolls for $30 and she also has some accessories. It's very addicting!

DD is now 14, and Bitty Baby, Kirstin and Kit live in the doll cradle that was once mine. She LOVES those dolls. And played with them a lot, especially Baby and Kirstin. I do think the addition of Kit made the "family" a little big for her, but they did all get played with, they all have many outfits, etc.

FYI--Bitty Baby was her Christmas gift from us at 18months. The only baby doll she ever played with, and that doll went everywhere with us. Still in excellent condition, and well worth the money. She's in the cradle with my baby doll, Kirstin and Kit.