Not totally impressed...However

I went browsing around at the stores today and have to say I was not really impressed by the supposed markdowns. Our local news did a huge story about all these great deals that were going to be out there, but I really didn't see anything that great. I bought some items this past week, and most of the places I went, the items were still the same price. I guess my area didn't get the memo about markdowns.

The only bright spot I saw, was Best Buy. I wish I would have stopped there earlier. They had 50% off of all their HBO Series Box Sets, as well as many random movie titles for $4.99-8.99. I got a Ghostbusters Gift Set for $6.99! I saved about 60% on that one.

I went to Michaels to see if I could find a Christmas tree for next year and all the trees were the same price as before Christmas. Wal-Mart was completely out of trees.

I did go to Barnes and Noble because I recieved an e-mail about a huge "clearance" sale on books. I was disappointed to find 3 tables filled with a variety of books. All the books were a hodge-podge of those "last-minute" type coffee table books, game books, and a few calendars. They did have 50% off of their 2009 Calendars (which brings it down to regular retail as far as I am concerned anyway, not much of a sale there).

To be totally honest, there really wasn't a ton of traffic out there at the sales, but we have had a ton of snow in the last two days as well.

Just a few thoughts...

I agree with you. I went to Walmart early Friday morning and the markdowns were the normal, although I did get a Burt's Bees giftset 1/2 price which I've never gotten anything Burt's Bees 1/2 price before! Target was much more crowded, but just the normal bargains there too.

Walgreens was pretty good, especially finding the Popcorn Indiana giftsets that have the $15 gift card for $5.

The best I did was at Macy's, where I got a leather purse normally $85 for $40 with the 20% discount for using a Macys card/gift card and a $28 shirt for $7.

I agree with you. I went to Walmart early Friday morning and the markdowns were the normal, although I did get a Burt's Bees giftset 1/2 price which I've never gotten anything Burt's Bees 1/2 price before! Target was much more crowded, but just the normal bargains there too.

Walgreens was pretty good, especially finding the Popcorn Indiana giftsets that have the $15 gift card for $5.

The best I did was at Macy's, where I got a leather purse normally $85 for $40 with the 20% discount for using a Macys card/gift card and a $28 shirt for $7.

Just wondering what exactly are Popcorn Indiana giftsets and what the giftcard is for. Thanks much!

Just wondering what exactly are Popcorn Indiana giftsets and what the giftcard is for. Thanks much!

It is a big box with 5 bags of various sizes of popcorn. You get a bag of regular popcorn, kettle corn, white cheddar, chili con queso and caramal chocolate chunk, plus a bag of popsters. Popsters are little popcorn balls dipped in chocolate. It's a very good value and a way to try different types of popcorn.

I've gotten Dale and Thomas at their store in Times Square and it is awesome. You can buy Popcorn Indiana bags in a few flavors at Walgreens, Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc. They only issue a few flavors in the Popcorn Indiana brand, but offer lots more on the website.

www.daleandthomaspopcorn.com

I agree, my mom is in town and we went shopping at around 7 am, the best deal we found (or I should say me dd17 found), was a purse at Macys that was reg $115 and she bought it for $27. We went through the whole mall, and only bought a few things. Most items were the same price as before christmas, or not on sale at all. We were really disappointed.

I AGREE!!! My mom and sister and I went out shopping. We went into Bath and Body Works. They had much better deals on the 22nd. Well actually I guess they had the same deals, they just had more stuff. Now they added some $3.00 lotion, but nothing exciting to me. I did buy two candles.

We went into Jos A Bank. They had a better sale before Christmas. My mom bought my son a hat for Christmas but when she saw this one, she said she wants to trade him because this one was nicer. I looked at a suit for my other son that he wants for Graduation. But it was on sale for Cheaper before Christmas. So I'll wait on that one. Since I have 6 months.

We went to Target. I bought NOTHING. A lot of people were wandering around in the Toy Department and Electronics. But it didn't look like people were buying that much. There were lines though. I didn't buy anything.

Then we went to Toys R Us to do an exchange of a disappointing broken toy. And I saw they had D batteries on sale. Not a great sale. They were $9.99 for 8. But my kids got a few toys that needed Ds.

Those were my big purchases for the day.

I couldn't agree more. I saw no more sales than there were before Christmas. Was disappointed that much of the Christmas merchandise I saw was 40% off BEFORE Christmas and then again on the 26th. I mainly picked up candy for January and February birthday parties, (the red wrappers work perfectly for my daughters in Feb and my son likes the green) can't beat the prices on it. That is mainly all I got at Walmart and Target. Very disappointing IMO.

Ours were all a waste of time too! I only bought one thing, a specific tree skirt I wanted at Walmart, so I got it at 50% off. (There was only 1) The newspaper and tv all were calling it another Black Friday. That was SO not true. I had one small thing in my cart at Target but it wasn't worth the wait in line. So I didn't get it.

I do have to go to Walgreens now to look for the popcorn, I Bought a set at $10 as a gift. Do the gift cards on the box stack with others?

I went to my local Target and the entire store appeared to be picked clean, back on the 24th. They still have a ton of empty spaces in women's clothes, toys and electronics, as well as, Seasonal.

Like I said....that was my local store that just opened less than a mile from me, less than two months ago. Maybe they're not re-stocking til after the first?

I think with most of the stores I was in, the stores had the first cuts a week before Christmas, and a lot of the inventory was moved during that time. I didn't see much that I was interested in yet on the 23rd, but I did find a few items here and there.

I went to the little small walmart in the next town over....they have a TON of stuff 50% off BUT since they have so much I decided to wait and check in a few days to see if it goes 75%! They had 2 rows of gift sets of makeup, nail polishes, etc along with a whole end cap of fleece blankets! 4 big bins in the center aisle of wrapping paper and bows...a bunch of chocolates, a lot of things I could buy and save for stocking stuffers for next year too!

Anyone know when the next mark down usually takes place on holiday stuff at wally world?

Ours were all a waste of time too! I only bought one thing, a specific tree skirt I wanted at Walmart, so I got it at 50% off. (There was only 1) The newspaper and tv all were calling it another Black Friday. That was SO not true. I had one small thing in my cart at Target but it wasn't worth the wait in line. So I didn't get it.

I do have to go to Walgreens now to look for the popcorn, I Bought a set at $10 as a gift. Do the gift cards on the box stack with others?

Gift cards don't stack, but that means you can get a six bag sampler of their popcorn for about $15.00, so It's a good deal. I paid $12 in NYC for 3 bags!

Thanks for the heads up. At least I know I really haven't missed much. I was planning on going sometime this coming week to see if there were any sales. The front page of my Kmart ad states that they are have a clearance sale this week. I may just wander over there. Our WM has been insane lately so I have stayed away.