Okay taxes are coming...Looking for TurboTax Deluxe w/State deals

Crue2001

Tax season is almost upon us and I'm ready to get started early. :yup: Looking for the best deal on TurboTax Deluxe (w/State) for 2008. I found it for $59.99 at several sites, $51.XX on Sam's Club and even better $49.99 at Costco.com. Unfortunately, Costco wants to charge $10.88 shipping, so that makes it over $63 for me (w/non member surcharge).

So, if anyone sees any good deals (don't need Quicken...saw a rebate if you buy both together), please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

Tax season is almost upon us and I'm ready to get started early. :yup: Looking for the best deal on TurboTax Deluxe (w/State) for 2008. I found it for $59.99 at several sites, $51.XX on Sam's Club and even better $49.99 at Costco.com. Unfortunately, Costco wants to charge $10.88 shipping, so that makes it over $63 for me (w/non member surcharge).

So, if anyone sees any good deals (don't need Quicken...saw a rebate if you buy both together), please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

Might want to check out TaxSlayer.com and the price is certainly right. Have used them several years and know a lot of people who, once they tried them, keep going back year after year.

What type of taxes are you doing that would require Turbo Tax. (I'm not a fan at all.) If you just have a basic return with normal schedules, I highly recommend www.taxact.com. It's completely free to file your federal and charges a small fee for state. I think state is $14.95 this year.

It does the exact same things as Turbo Tax, with none of the glitches, complications, or cost.

What type of taxes are you doing that would require Turbo Tax. (I'm not a fan at all.) If you just have a basic return with normal schedules, I highly recommend www.taxact.com. It's completely free to file your federal and charges a small fee for state. I think state is $14.95 this year.

It does the exact same things as Turbo Tax, with none of the glitches, complications, or cost.

A couple of quick questions for you...

I have used TurboTax for about 6 years now - but this year I may switch as the costs keep on going up. I need to file Federal (obviously) and two state taxes (non resident and resident). The TurboTax deluxe cost is $60 plus $36 ($18 to efile each state return) and an additional state prep fee of 35$ !! Total $130 :eek:

I checked the Taxact website - I would likely get the ultimate bundle for 19.99 (Fed and State) then (here is the question) I would need to buy the state 1040 ($14) also? to do the non resident. Do you know whether the info from the Fed merges into the State (as with TT?) and do you know if the TT data from last year gets pulled (or do I need to do that) ?

If I am reading the fees correctly - 19 for Fed plus one State, 14 for State and 16 (8 each state filing fee) - $50.... big difference in cost.

TIA for your help

I haven't looked at taxact yet this year, but in years past, the Federal was no charge and State was around $15. This year, they may be charging for Fed. You should be able to file a non-res just as easily. My state's filing fee is included in the $15, so I'm not sure about the additional $8.

Your TT info won't get pulled, and the only reason you will need that is to speed up the signature process. You will be able to use last year's AGI for your 'electronic signature'.

It will automatically pull your federal info into the state forms, you just need to answer a few questions.

It's very simple and is constantly updated, which makes it very reliable. When using Turbo Tax, you will purchase your software up front, and if there are any glitches, it's a permanent part of your software. Taxact has nothing to download at all.

Thanks in advance!!

Again, check out TaxSlayer.com as the MOST you would pay is $19.95. Most would only pay $9.95 and that's total for both Federal and State. In fact, a lot pay nothing if they click through IRS plus TaxSlayer charges nothing for active duty military, including those having to file more than one state return.

Swampbaby, does TaxSlayer happen to have a software pkg I can buy & install on my computer? I don't load my SS# on anything online, so I'm not a fan of doing online taxes, not even at IRS.gov. I know the sites are supposed to be secure, but hackers abound and I'm not willing to take that chance.

**Nevermind, found the d/loadable version. I'll read up on that one. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I am a fan of Turbo Tax as I use it for myself and various friends. Has anyone seen a good deal on the software? I do not want anything additional besides the Turbo Tax Deluxe (ex:Quicken). I do not mind rebates but would prefer a better sale price.:yup:

I talked to State tax facility last year and they said why pay. It's free with webfile and last week I got a letter from them saying for people not to pay as it is free with webfile. Easy to fill out with your federal info. My son uses taxslayer because it's free for military, but I go to IRS.com and go to free file and select one of those. I have been using Turbotax for the last 3 years as Taxact caused me a 2000 mistake that they caught later.

Swampbaby, does TaxSlayer happen to have a software pkg I can buy & install on my computer? I don't load my SS# on anything online, so I'm not a fan of doing online taxes, not even at IRS.gov. I know the sites are supposed to be secure, but hackers abound and I'm not willing to take that chance.

**Nevermind, found the d/loadable version. I'll read up on that one. Thanks!

It's the same chance you have with banks, credit card companies, YOUR DOCTORS OFFICE, insurance companies, get the idea. Your SSN is already all over the place and it's not as well advertised as the other common places.

It's the same chance you have with banks, credit card companies, YOUR DOCTORS OFFICE, insurance companies, get the idea. Your SSN is already all over the place and it's not as well advertised as the other common places.

Yeh..Remmember the days when teachers would post your grades outside their office with all those social securities #'s right there.. Wasn't too long ago, either :)

i just saw it at buy.com for $43 includes shipping. Sounds like a good price. I've used them for years, it is really that $$ to efile them now? I don't remember paying that much last year. Or maybe I just efiled Federal and did the state online..for free...

Certain states still charge an e-file fee, regardless of what software you use.

TaxSlayer and TaxAct both have a downloadable version. It doesn't really matter, like PPs have said, your SSN is already everywhere.

It's just a matter of preference. I figure that even if it's downloaded, if they were in it to get your SSN, they will get it either way.

I am a fan of Turbo Tax as I use it for myself and various friends. Has anyone seen a good deal on the software? I do not want anything additional besides the Turbo Tax Deluxe (ex:Quicken). I do not mind rebates but would prefer a better sale price.:yup:

My wife just picked up a copy at Costco. I believe it was $49.99 and Costco had a $10 coupon in its' mailer this past week.

I am going to take a look at that Taxact and give it a try. See if the results are the same as turbo tax. If so, I'll definitely be making the switch next year.