Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

I Finally Found Some Good Deals At My Target! :yay:

### 085100285 - Duraflame Matches - $0.48

### 085100282 - 6 Pack Of Duraflame Logs - $4.98

### 085101109 - Smith & Hawken Fireplace Screen - $12.48

### 085101110 - Smith & Hawken Fireplace Tool Set - $8.74

### 085101111 - Smith & Hawken Log Bin - $7.48

I Have Been Watching & Waiting For The Fireplace Stuff To Go Down To 75% They Had Lots Of Everything Left.

I'm So Happy I Finally Got To Post A Deal I Have Been Watching This Thread For So Long But Never Have Anything To Report Because I Guess I Always Miss The Good Deals At My Target's.

I am so angry at Target... I went to Target with the intention on just getting the Crayola things. I was planning on donating them to my sons' teacher. Well, I found 2 backpacks someone had mentioned earlier and a color wonder. It rang up 'NOT FOUND' so I told the lady at the register that it's 75% off and that I had bought some from another Target for 2.49. She said she had to check and came back and told me that it's full price. WHAT!!!!! I walked out very upset.. A lot of times they don't give me a hard time about it, but this time they gave me an attitude about it. I always thought if I find an item that comes up 'NOT FOUND', it's automatically 75% off. Do they really pull those from the shelf?

They really do pull stuff from the shelf. It definitely is not automatically 75% off. Technically, what she did is absolutely correct. Their policy is that they have to check with the PDA, and if a price cannot be found, it goes to the Price Change team. We have all been spoiled by cashiers who just ask us the price. If you KNOW you have one of these items, you should always try to find the cashier who will most likely just ask you rather than try to figure it out. This is often the inexperienced or bored young men (and some women). If they are an eager beaver or an older woman, you are much less likely to get the deal.

If an item is not going to be carried again, they generally salvage it, which means it is either donated to a charity or sold to a salvage company. It is often sold to Goodwill or Salvation Army at 75%-90% off for them to resell in their stores. If, however, the item is carried regularly at other stores or will be carried again in another season, they often mark it back to full price. Sometimes it goes back to full price and it isn't obvious why that would be. But it happens. For example, during the recent after Christmas toy clearance, they cleared out the Take Along Thomas toys Hector, Madge, Sir Toppham Hatt's Car and a few others. These are almost all back at full price again. They had been a Target exclusive for a 4 month period, now they are generally available to all retailers who sell those toys, so they came back at full price.

Maddening, isn't it?

I Have Been Watching & Waiting For The Fireplace Stuff To Go Down To 75% They Had Lots Of Everything Left.

I'm So Happy I Finally Got To Post A Deal I Have Been Watching This Thread For So Long But Never Have Anything To Report Because I Guess I Always Miss The Good Deals At My Target's.

Wow! Thanks for posting this! Dh and I love to have a fire outside on the weekends. 4.98 for Duraflame logs is an awesome deal! I can't wait to see if my Target has those on clearance tomorrow! :D

My store always calls a GSTL and they scan it with there little thingy (it's not the big guns, but a smaller handheld that only GSTLs have), and it will tell them the last known price so that's what they will sell to me for.

Last week I found a left over package of Disney Cars 3 pack from the 75% of sale last month that was also out of their system. I remembered how much I'd paid for them and thought I'd give it a shot and try and purchase them anyway. The guy at the register had one of those small scanners in his belt and it came up with the price I'd paid before. So its worth a shot.

Last week I found a left over package of Disney Cars 3 pack from the 75% of sale last month that was also out of their system. I remembered how much I'd paid for them and thought I'd give it a shot and try and purchase them anyway. The guy at the register had one of those small scanners in his belt and it came up with the price I'd paid before. So its worth a shot.

Absolutely! It is just smart to pick your cashier's wisely to give you a better shot at it.

They really do pull stuff from the shelf. It definitely is not automatically 75% off. Technically, what she did is absolutely correct. Their policy is that they have to check with the PDA, and if a price cannot be found, it goes to the Price Change team. We have all been spoiled by cashiers who just ask us the price. If you KNOW you have one of these items, you should always try to find the cashier who will most likely just ask you rather than try to figure it out. This is often the inexperienced or bored young men (and some women). If they are an eager beaver or an older woman, you are much less likely to get the deal.

If an item is not going to be carried again, they generally salvage it, which means it is either donated to a charity or sold to a salvage company. It is often sold to Goodwill or Salvation Army at 75%-90% off for them to resell in their stores. If, however, the item is carried regularly at other stores or will be carried again in another season, they often mark it back to full price. Sometimes it goes back to full price and it isn't obvious why that would be. But it happens. For example, during the recent after Christmas toy clearance, they cleared out the Take Along Thomas toys Hector, Madge, Sir Toppham Hatt's Car and a few others. These are almost all back at full price again. They had been a Target exclusive for a 4 month period, now they are generally available to all retailers who sell those toys, so they came back at full price.

Maddening, isn't it?

Personally, I've had nothing but bad luck with young guys cashiers (either they don't know and immediately call for backup and/or ask other cashiers around them or they know and follow everything by the book.) My technique is to look for a cashier with the kindess face. I've personally had good luck with chunkier women and men in their 40's/50's or older..imho.

Personally, I've had nothing but bad luck with young guys cashiers (either they don't know and immediately call for backup and/or ask other cashiers around them or they know and follow everything by the book.) My technique is to look for a cashier with the kindess face. I've personally had good luck with chunkier women and men in their 40's/50's or older..imho.

I think it's just hard to tell based on how someone "looks". I've had young cashiers (male and female) that don't care and will punch in whatever price I say, then I've had ones that are totally "by the book" and will not budge because they think they will be fired or something. Recently I had a middle-aged lady just ask me "How much do you want for it?" I had no clue how much the toy cost and said "I don't know." She said "How about $3.00?" I took it, went home to search what the original price was and it turned out it normally costs over $25.

I think it's just hard to tell based on how someone "looks". I've had young cashiers (male and female) that don't care and will punch in whatever price I say, then I've had ones that are totally "by the book" and will not budge because they think they will be fired or something. Recently I had a middle-aged lady just ask me "How much do you want for it?" I had no clue how much the toy cost and said "I don't know." She said "How about $3.00?" I took it, went home to search what the original price was and it turned out it normally costs over $25.

Certainly you can have trouble with any cashier. My point is to know your store and look for the most bored looking one if you don't know the people working. In general, I know who will simply ask me the price and who will call a manager for the stores I shop regularly. When you are in a store you don't know you have to develop some sort of method for picking. You will still get it wrong sometimes, but if you are pretty good at reading people, it makes it easier to find the "right" one. I have cruised around a bit longer when I see that the short line is the one with someone who looks new on the job (temporary nametag is often a giveaway, or you see them asking other cashiers questions a lot), or someone who looks crabby. I've always had problems with the crabby, pinched face types. And, as someone pointed out, some stores will give you problems no matter who you choose as it comes down from the main manager there. It really pays to get to know your store well, and to develop a rapport with the people working there.

I have lucked out for about 2 years now at my local Target. I teach, so I am always running into former students working here. I also go to the store 4 or more times a week to peruse:)I always run across an item that doesn't scan a price. The kid always asks" How much was this Ms.?" I always give them the 75% price. I once had a cashier whom I have known since he was in 3rd grade. It was after Christmas 2007 and there were these Winnie the pooh blankets everyone here mentioned. He gave me all 6 for $1 each They were around $16. He named that price. :D I would never abuse this or try to get everything 90%.

I very rarely find "not found' items but I do like to go to young guys with coupons that other cashiers might see as "if-y" For example I had a target coupon for huggies and then a MF coupon and then on the package of diapers there was a Target coupon for a free tub of wipes with purchase-normally a woman would not let me use both Target coupons but the young boys send 'em right through or punch in the numbers.

earlier this month a few people got really good deals on digital picture frames ($21 or so). if anyone comes across anymore of these in the AR area, please post. TIA.

I bought one at the Target on Winchester in Memphis, TN on Saturday. I was looking for a wedding gift for my sister and found one on the endcap aisle in electronics. There were two on the shelf.

I am looking to see if anyone else has noticed clearanced pinatas? I saw them in the craft/crayola aisle last week and never gave them a second look because I had no need but now I am planning my dad's 70th birthday party and I think a fiesta sounds like fun! So has anyone else seen these and if so what is the percentage off and what is the clearance price or original price? Also, does anyone think I'd just be better off getting these at a wholesale website like Oriental Trading?

I am looking to see if anyone else has noticed clearanced pinatas? I saw them in the craft/crayola aisle last week and never gave them a second look because I had no need but now I am planning my dad's 70th birthday party and I think a fiesta sounds like fun! So has anyone else seen these and if so what is the percentage off and what is the clearance price or original price? Also, does anyone think I'd just be better off getting these at a wholesale website like Oriental Trading?

I saw a few today. The only ones my store had on clearance was a car and one animal. They were 30% off the original I think was around $12. I usually find them cheaper at party stores with their coupons that come in my mail. Now if they go to 75% I'll be happy to grab a couple but I have seen the same party stuff on sale for two weeks in a row now and it hasn't budged in price but getting slimmer every day! I am stalking the pinata fillers!

Thanks again for posting this! I thought I was out of luck when I saw that they were restocking the area that had the Duraflames with fans. I even asked if they had them somewhere else and they said they were sold out. I found one lone box back by the grills. It was out of the system so I asked someone I'd seen earlier with a price gun if he could confirm the price was 4.98. He didn't have the gun anymore and said that sounded right and to just tell the cashier that he said that was the price. I was so excited to find at least

one box. I would have bought more if they still had them, but next year I'll know to look out for them.

My dollar spot was only 50% today, but I found some Toy Story stickers and colored pencils, Disney Cars stickers, tattoos and dry erase boards.

On one of the toy endcaps I found a bug magnifier jar by Play Wonder that had a bunch of plastic bugs, magnifying glass and tweezers included. I thought I'd wait for further markdowns on it, but ds was with me and he really liked it and there were only a couple left.

####Bug Magnifier Jar Set by Play Wonder was 7.99 now 5.58

my stores have really buckled down with INF items...I find them...no matter what method i use they will not sell them to me, or they will be full price! It didn't use to be that way...but all of a sudden they are hard core about it :( I found a whole bunch of the INF color wonders...no dice (full price)

According to store employees.. INF, means you can offer anything $5.00 or less. and the cashier should except the price, if they don't ask for a manager. if you try a $1, they will try $1.50 , it's negotiable .. and you will get it.

it's company policy.

According to store employees.. INF, means you can offer anything $5.00 or less. and the cashier should except the price, if they don't ask for a manager. if you try a $1, they will try $1.50 , it's negotiable .. and you will get it.

it's company policy.

It might be the way that your store handles it, but I don't believe that it's 'company' policy. Mostly, if something is out of the system, it usually means it's salvaged and they do not HAVE to sell it to you. Many stores WILL sell it, however, it isn't always up to the customer to name their price. And I don't believe that it is any Target store's 'policy' to negotiate on their prices. Some people are lucky and are able to do that with the right cashiers, but it is definitely YMMV on that.

It might be the way that your store handles it, but I don't believe that it's 'company' policy. Mostly, if something is out of the system, it usually means it's salvaged and they do not HAVE to sell it to you. Many stores WILL sell it, however, it isn't always up to the customer to name their price. And I don't believe that it is any Target store's 'policy' to negotiate on their prices. Some people are lucky and are able to do that with the right cashiers, but it is definitely YMMV on that.

Please if someone can verify that policy, I would appreciate it. It's very annoying when I find INS hoping they would sell it to me, but end up going home empty handed. :no::no::no::no:

I called the 800 number after getting upset that they wouldn't sell me a ball that my son HAD to have. She called the manager over after seeing it come up inf and she said they could not sell it no matter what. I called and she said that is target policy to salvage anything inf. She was VERY firm and not understanding at all. I wont even try anymore. Great for all the people that can things though!

Please if someone can verify that policy, I would appreciate it. It's very annoying when I find INS hoping they would sell it to me, but end up going home empty handed. :no::no::no::no:

The policy is that if it isn't in their system, they generally do not sell it. It screws up their inventory procedures if they sell things that are not in their inventory system. You may find an employee or even a manager that gives and allows something to be sold....but it is definitely YMMV.

### 082-07-0363 Radio Flyer - My 1st Scooter $9.98 (orig. $39.99)

http://www.target.com/Radio-Flyer-My-1st-Scooter/dp/B000OWAZYU/sr=1-2/qid=1235544488/ref=sr_1_2/187-1739455-6679629?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Amy%201st%20scooter&page=1

** Can someone tell me how to put a picture in my post, instead of using a link?

Great Find I am going to have to track 1 down!

it's company policy.

Not according to the store manager at the Eagle Rock, CA store. I got into an argument with her over an INF toy that I found a couple of weeks ago. I was furious with her nasty attitude about it. She got on her high horse when I said that I never have problems buying items like that at other stores. They generally look up the last sold price and sell it for that if it is in the system. She informed me "not at my store. not if they want to keep their job." She was a real witch about it, so I called the 800 number to complain about her. I explained that they were able to find the last sold price in the handheld, and the woman on the 800 number seemed surprised she wouldn't sell it to me. Pretty stupid, especially in this economy. All that said, it is a store by store thing.

Pretty stupid, especially in this economy. All that said, it is a store by store thing.

Since they salvage the item at the full retail price, or in some cases, get a higher credit(than the discount) for it from their seller, it would be stupid to sell the item for a 75% or even a 90% off price.

Also, if they have already salvaged all pieces (depending on how they do it, they may take the number that is in their system which would account for lost/hidden items), it would screw up their inventory numbers to sell something that is salvaged.

I agree about the economy statement. Retailers need to stop whining about their sales if they don't want to sell stuff.

I found valentine Pixos ringing 0.00. Told the cashier 90% off 4.99 would be .49. She insisted on calling the manager and telling me that salvage can not be sold. The manager came over and told me .25 each.

Hmmm, I guess sometimes the manager can say good things about salvage:)

I called the 800 number after getting upset that they wouldn't sell me a ball that my son HAD to have. She called the manager over after seeing it come up inf and she said they could not sell it no matter what. I called and she said that is target policy to salvage anything inf. She was VERY firm and not understanding at all. I wont even try anymore. Great for all the people that can things though!

That is funny, as they quite often have brand new items to come up INF. The policy is that someone on Price Change is supposed to first try to determine if it is a system error, an online return, or salvage before they actually make a final decision what to do with it. You all may recall that they had the Butterfly Treehouse toys mis-priced when they came out. They were selling for $3.94 rather than the $14.99 they should have been. Well, after they straightened that out, the manufacturer changed the packaging and the UPC, so the new ones came up INF. I went to buy them and the store was trying to find the price. I was in a hurry, so I had to leave before they could settle on anything. I came back and found a couple in a go-back cart, so I took them to Garden to check out with some plants I was buying, and he just asked me the price and sold to me. I came back a day or two later and they had the red & white striped tags that they use for online returns, and had them for $2.94! I have kept an eye on the product when I shop around, and I saw the old and new packaging on the shelf for full price at a store just yesterday. That kind of thing is probably why there is no hard and fast policy regarding INF items. If it is truly supposed to be salvage they aren't supposed to sell it to you. But a lot of stores will. It is always worth asking, IMHO...