Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

QUESTION

So I went to a local Target tonight and I was shocked to see their Toy section. It was not organized at all!!! The clearance stuff was still all over the place (not put together like I've seen at other Targets). Also the end caps had clearance stuff too. There was one whole shelf that was almost empty and there were empty holes in other isles. So does this mean this Target is not having their Toys go to 75% tomorrow?? or prob. not even Thursday??

Do the Targets usually organize their Toy section before having the mark-downs??

This was my 1st choice as they seem to have a bigger variety of Toys than the other Targets but now I don't know... Should I instead check-out the other (smaller) Target tomorrow morning as they had their clearance stuff organized on 3 shelves a week ago...

(Also there wasn't a single employee doing anything in that Toy section either)

PLS. ADVISE!!!

Quick question, when you return something w/ a receipt to Target, do they see the price you paid as well as the current clearance price?

Just wondering if I'm imagining things when I think they give me that "I know what you're up to" look.

Yes, I believe that they see the current sale price on their screen. I can't say what they're thinking though.

Yes, I believe that they see the current sale price on their screen. I can't say what they're thinking though.

If you're trying to return something that's on clearance, they'll only give you the price that its at currently. Here's an example:

You buy a toy that was 30% and found out the next day that they went 50% overnight or something. If you return that toy, they only give you back what the price is at currently, not your price when you paid 30%. It doesn't show percentage off though on the receipt. Most of the time it WILL show you underneath the product on the receipt, " SAVED 18.00 OFF 19.96" So if they put two and two together, they'll figure out how much you spent and what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to return something that's on clearance, they'll only give you the price that its at currently. Here's an example:

You buy a toy that was 30% and found out the next day that they went 50% overnight or something. If you return that toy, they only give you back what the price is at currently, not your price when you paid 30%. It doesn't show percentage off though on the receipt. Most of the time it WILL show you underneath the product on the receipt, " SAVED 18.00 OFF 19.96" So if they put two and two together, they'll figure out how much you spent and what you're trying to do.

You get the price you paid for the item on clearance (regardless of the current price) as long as you have proof of purchase - a receipt, a gift receipt, credit card, unless the item is a seasonal item (depending on the state you live in).

It doesn't matter if you buy something at 30% off, then buy the same item at 50% off, and then return the item you bought at 30%. You're not doing anything illegal. Maybe you bought it at 30% off, decided you actually don't want it anymore, and before your 90 return policy is up, the item got reduced to 50% off. The cashier isn't able to tell by your return transaction whether or not you bought the same item when it went 50% off.

No, that only applies to holiday clearance, not regular clearance. AND some states/stores even allow holiday merch to be returned for what you paid regardless of what the current price is.

When you return something with a receipt, there is a little piece of paper that shoots out with the return receipt. Sometimes they attach that small piece of paper to the item to indicate that the item needs a new clearance sticker. Most times that little 'scrap' of paper indicates that the item has gone down in price, however, I have bought things and returned to a different Target where the item's price is actually higher than what I paid. That new price is shown on that little piece of paper that shoots out of the register when you do your return. I believe it says "reticket" at the top or something. It shows the price THAT particular Target is selling it for and we all know each Target clearances things differently.

Regardless of what that piece of paper says, you get what you paid on your receipt...unless it's holiday merchandise. Then each store is different... I guess from state to state or something. That little reticket slip is just to help the CS people make sure that the item gets a new ticket on it. (Many times though they just wad it up and toss the reticket slip."

Edited by KC-Traderbear

You're not doing anything illegal. Maybe you bought it at 30% off, decided you actually don't want it anymore, and before your 90 return policy is up, the item got reduced to 50% off. The cashier isn't able to tell by your return transaction whether or not you bought the same item when it went 50% off.

There's been times I've actually told them that I found it cheaper. That is not against the law. That is smart/lucky shopping! :yup:

The only time I feel funny about returning- even with a receipt -is bringing back Christmas or holiday items waaaaayyy past the holiday (even if it is within the 90 day period.) I just feel funny about taking back Christmas ornaments in March! Many times I buy for my family and sometimes they don't see it for a month or two after I buy it cause they live 2 states away from me. I hate having to return it if they decide they don't want it. And I refuse to return something I've bought at 90% off. I don't care what it is. (or food, I refuse to return food too.) But that's just me :D

QUESTION

So I went to a local Target tonight and I was shocked to see their Toy section. It was not organized at all!!! The clearance stuff was still all over the place (not put together like I've seen at other Targets). Also the end caps had clearance stuff too. There was one whole shelf that was almost empty and there were empty holes in other isles. So does this mean this Target is not having their Toys go to 75% tomorrow?? or prob. not even Thursday??

Do the Targets usually organize their Toy section before having the mark-downs??

This was my 1st choice as they seem to have a bigger variety of Toys than the other Targets but now I don't know... Should I instead check-out the other (smaller) Target tomorrow morning as they had their clearance stuff organized on 3 shelves a week ago...

PLS. ADVISE!!!

usually it's way organized days before the sale starts...however they have an amazing ability to organize very quickly! I'd try both targets just to be safe :yup:

If I buy something at 50% today and it goes 75% next week will they do a price adjustment?

From my experience they will not price adjust clearance. Which goes back to the earlier discussion of buying one now (if there are multiple of this item), buy one if there are any left when they go 75%, and then return the one you buy at 75% with the 50% off receipt.

Gloat all you want, 85 degrees is too hot for me! Come try our subzero weather - it makes you feel all tingly.:fluffy:

I lived in the midwest as a kid (all those blizzards in the 70s) and in Harbin, China (up on the Russian border - 40 below zero Christmas day), so I have had my cold experience. No thanks!:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Hi, newbie here. I just called my local target. I'm on the east coast. Their signs are still at 30 % .. i asked the guy to check a specific toy for me and it was still the same. I then asked him if they do the markdowns manually or if the system does. He said they only put new prices..meaning stickers on them.. that the system does the rest. Is that true? I've heard others say that they wait around when employees are doing markdowns. Someone PLEASE post if you have found toys cheaper today (east coast) I'm wondering if i should just go to target to scan things. My guess is the guy just looked at the price sticker. Thanks!

NO, NO, NO!! Absolutely untrue. That is ONLY true for seasonal merchandise. You get back what you paid for all other clearance items. And in some states you get it back for seasonal. I do this all the time, and so do several other members of the group. Read the return policy next time you stop by the store. It is posted in Guest Services. They won't price adjust it for you. And you cannot (generally) simply re-buy it for the lower price on the spot. They have a corporate policy that items have to be re-shelved before they can be re-purchased but some stores break that rule.

QUESTION

PLS. ADVISE!!!

Generally it is organized, but one store I go to is perpetually understaffed, and they are often like that for clearance. They don't always tag the stuff, they just hit the price sheet they work from and move on. So be sure to scan some stuff you know is on sale.

Fellow NJ'ers, I'm heading out to the Union Target now. I'm going to the gym first and then Target right after. I'll let you know what I find at about 11.

Malibooiseeyou, I would try back alittle later. The markdown team doesn't simply put the stickers on, they have to manually scan the item and then it gets marked down in the system. Last year, I had my items in my cart while they were scanning and just browsed the rest of the store. 20 minutes later, everything in my cart was marked down.

I just got back.

It doesn't look like toys are going 75% here today. There were alot of people working in the aisles, but they were working on putting out NEW toys. they had tons of flatbeds full of brand new stuff to put out. There was only 1-2 employees w/ scanners and they were being used to scan the new stuff to find price / location, etc.

I hung out for about 30 minutes and then left siince it didn't look like anything was happening today. I'll be there bright and early (two kids in tow) again tomorrow.

Fellow NJ'ers, I'm heading out to the Union Target now. I'm going to the gym first and then Target right after. I'll let you know what I find at about 11.

Malibooiseeyou, I would try back alittle later. The markdown team doesn't simply put the stickers on, they have to manually scan the item and then it gets marked down in the system. Last year, I had my items in my cart while they were scanning and just browsed the rest of the store. 20 minutes later, everything in my cart was marked down.

Here the prices are changed in the system, then they put new stickers on the items. So if they're working in a department chances are that the prices are already changed even if the items don't have the new prices marked on them.

Here ours need to be scanned before it comes up in the system.

ONE of the many need to be scanned...in other words, they send down price changes, worker goes on floor and finds one polly pocket with a dog. You have a polly pocket with a dog (exact same one) in your cart. Worker scans and tickets polly pocket with a dog. You are not near worker and have no idea but when you check out, your polly pocket with a dog will be at the marked down price.

If you have the only one in the store, it may not be marked down. So I prefer to make sure it is scanning cheaper before I head to the check out, or make sure I am happy with the price that it is scanning.

I was at the Linden Aviation Plaza Target, there were 5 of them in an aisle packing up the clearance Toys in big brown boxes. I asked them, why they were packing those toys. They said that some of them need to go and some of them do not belong here anymore.

I was like....what does that mean?? But they were really busy and working at a fast pace. And their manager was there shouting orders at them. So they did not give anymore info.

Wonder whether they are just relocating those or sending them away to salvation army or something...? Will check there again next week to see what happened to those toys. They had LOTS of magnetix boxes, LOTS of them, big AND small.

winter women accessories still either full price or only 30% off. Was really disappointed.

I was at the Linden Aviation Plaza Target, there were 5 of them in an aisle packing up the clearance Toys in big brown boxes. I asked them, why they were packing those toys. They said that some of them need to go and some of them do not belong here anymore.

I was like....what does that mean?? But they were really busy and working at a fast pace. And their manager was there shouting orders at them. So they did not give anymore info.

Wonder whether they are just relocating those or sending them away to salvation army or something...? Will check there again next week to see what happened to those toys. They had LOTS of magnetix boxes, LOTS of them, big AND small.

It could be that they are getting a credit from the manufacturer if they send them back. You will just have to keep an eye out to see if those are gone the next time you visit or have just been moved.