Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

I hit 3 Targets today. All finally went to 90% on x-mas today. One was marking down toys, but not much was hitting 75% the only thing I really saw was a Barbie avent for $4.98. Most all was going to 50% or first round of 30%. The other two stores were only at 30% on the toys and no one was working the department. Sorry I don't have more of a list of toys marked down, I was in a hurry!

Almost forgot! In the plush there are llittle horses that have a blue ribbon tag on them that say Beyer Plush... they were part of the stocking stuffers and are ring up @ $.49

*snip*

One thing that bothered me... on the Christmas aisle they had 3 different sets of the angel stocking holders that the angels had no heads... why wouldn't they just pull those off the shelf for salvage?

At one of my T, there was a multipack of MM Lemonade juice boxes that had leaked. Multipack was in front part of shelf, in PLAIN sight. There was black mold inside the cellophane. I pointed it out to one of the associates. It was still there around 3 weeks later. When I checked out, I told the manager about it and that it had been sitting there for weeks. When I went a week later, it had finally been removed.

You would think that when they restocked the shelves, someone would have removed it. :g_shrug:

You've given me hope!!!

Also do they always scan everything in one day (hopefully a couple of hrs. time frame?) or can they mark something down in the evening and then maybe the next day?? Just trying to understand whether I need to plan more than one outing..

You definitely have hope... There are some Targets around me who have been known for most markdown team activity in early afternoon. And, yes, more than likely they will work a markdown area until it is finished.

Here is what I have done in the past to ensure that the store has indeed gone to 75%. I eyeball a couple of things and make a mental note of what the FULL price of that item is. I jot down the dpci (off the orange sticker). Then when I call customer service, I just tell them that I am calling to check the price of "something". (I personally don't tell them it's a toy or they try to transfer me back to toys and then you sit and wait forever and 1/2 the time the person can't find what you are asking about because it's in the clearance minefield somewhere.) I simply say that I have the dpci and would they (at CS) mind just quickly typing it in to tell me what Target's price on that item is.) They are usually happy to do that. Once you have that price, you will easily know if they have gone down. And it helps you get an honest answer as well.

Just one hint about the math.... 75% off is ALWAYS 1/2 of 1/2. It's so easy to just quickly take 1/2 of the original price and then take it down another 1/2. To take 90% off, it's just easiest to look at the original price and move the decimal point 1 to the left. So, if something is originally priced $10.99 and it's 90% off, it would cost you $1.09. It is so much faster to just calculate that way rather than drag everything to the scanner. Of course, anyone should really know that 90% off is almost free and is ALWAYS a cheap deal! :)

I only say this cause I have come across some cashiers who go to price adjust something for me even to just 50% off and they look at me and say, "okay so how much would 50% off of $22 be?" I just kind of look at them like, "REALLY?"

I'm no math genius either, but after so many years of shopping Target's clearance, it is easier and quicker to just be able to calculate things in my head. The scanners are nice to verify if in fact something is on sale or you have no idea what the price is anyway!

Sorry -- off topic.... just thought I would throw those easy, easy ways to calculate while you are shopping!

I taught my daughter how to do %'s by this method and how to quickly figure out the sale price. What was funny, one day we were in and I was explaining this to my daughter and there was like 5 ladies eavesdropping in on the conversation. They were like "wow" I knew it had to be easier than trying to figure it out in our heads LOL I have mentioned it to many people and they are appreciative of the advice (its amazing this isn't more common knowledge, I think our math skills are substandard LOL)

We got the pumpkin & gingerbread muffin mixes for .99 and they were terrible!!! But I'm pretty sure that I've gotten AF tortilla chips and salsa before and they were good.

Call the 800 number. They'll send you coupons. I tried the AF Poppy Seed dressing, and it just wasn't that good. Maybe we are spoiled with the brand we usually buy, but we didn't like it. Target sent me coupons to buy something else. I did that one other time with one of their food products that I hated, and they did it then too.

At one of my T, there was a multipack of MM Lemonade juice boxes that had leaked. Multipack was in front part of shelf, in PLAIN sight. There was black mold inside the cellophane. I pointed it out to one of the associates. It was still there around 3 weeks later. When I checked out, I told the manager about it and that it had been sitting there for weeks. When I went a week later, it had finally been removed.

You would think that when they restocked the shelves, someone would have removed it. :g_shrug:

Ooohh...Yuck!..that is the kind of thing I call the 800 number about too. Upper levels need to know about stuff like that.

Ok, so I've been Googling for the past 30 min. and it seems some people (from years 2005/2006) were thinking Toys go to 75% on 2nd or 3rd Wednesday. And some from more recent years were mentioning Jan 9th as 1st day. (That was also a Wednesday last year)

So we are not all missing it Today by staying home are we?? I think I'm going to have to go and check out some Targets after my hubby gest home at 6.

Based on my receipt from last January, it started on Thursday, January 10. I read that it usually starts the second Thursday of the month, which would be tomorrow. I was at Target this morning and there were no further markdowns. Going to be there early tomorrow though.

Ok, so I've been Googling for the past 30 min. and it seems some people (from years 2005/2006) were thinking Toys go to 75% on 2nd or 3rd Wednesday. And some from more recent years were mentioning Jan 9th as 1st day. (That was also a Wednesday last year)

So we are not all missing it Today by staying home are we?? I think I'm going to have to go and check out some Targets after my hubby gest home at 6.

Mine are still at 30%. I'm in Northern California - I think our discounts are much slooooooower than other US regions though. :mad:

No. I'd be shocked if much went down tomorrow. By the way, you can use the old threads on here to look for the dates as well. Just use the search feature.

So I found another thread (kind of looked like people there knew what they were talking about) mostly posts from yesterday and Today and everyone's mentioning Thursday and 10th for last year, so I think I'm getting up early tomorrow and heading over to Target.

What are everyone else's plans??

No. I'd be shocked if much went down tomorrow. By the way, you can use the old threads on here to look for the dates as well. Just use the search feature.

I kinda figure most people that were shopping the sale and updating the threads are here now and we have already gotten some responses back from people looking back at their receipts and so on...

I was hoping to find some juicy secrets at some weird hacker sites but NO LUCK. I really wonder how in the age of Internet all of these stores are doing such a great job at keeping these sales so secret?? I mean there are so many employees.. When it has something to do with govt. or special opps or whatever things seem to be leaking all over the place but when it's the Target Secret Toy sale, well that's staying super Hush-Hush :)

I remember the toy clearance bieng the 2nd Thursday in January last year. I am hopeful for tomorrow, but it seems unlikely. I was there today and almost all the toys were still at 30%. Has anyone seen them jump past the 50% in years past?

Most definitely. The Christmas toy sell off is very likely to skip 50% and go straight to 75%.

I kinda figure most people that were shopping the sale and updating the threads are here now and we have already gotten some responses back from people looking back at their receipts and so on...

I was hoping to find some juicy secrets at some weird hacker sites but NO LUCK. I really wonder how in the age of Internet all of these stores are doing such a great job at keeping these sales so secret?? I mean there are so many employees.. When it has something to do with govt. or special opps or whatever things seem to be leaking all over the place but when it's the Target Secret Toy sale, well that's staying super Hush-Hush :)

Mostly because 'they' (whoever calculates the stores inventory and pulls the trigger on what gets marked down) don't tell the employees anything. Price teams get word about what they are marking down the day it happens, and then they go out and do the markdowns. That's why most employees who tell you that they KNOW when markdowns are happening are just guessing.

I really don't think they're gonna go 75% off tomorrow - my store today had just started clearing all the aisles - removing and marking clearance toys and resetting for the spring toys. They were marking 30% and 50% off - mostly 30%. HOWEVER my old receipts do say Jan 9th.

I was there this morning just in case and they have not even put all the clearance toys on the same aisles yet....however last week at a few of the raleigh stores the clearance toys were on the end aisles and seemed ready to go. I am going to go back tomorrow just in case, but who knows. All I know is it was Thursday for us last year.....and I WANT to get this sale!!!

There is SO much baby stuff on sale, most 30-50% off, but I bet in the next week or 2 it will be 75 and there is alot left.

so after stalking target for the christmas sale, then toy sale, I guess I will be there every monday to see what kids stuff is on sale:D

I was at the Stanley store in OP, ks this afternoon and the aisles are condensed. There are a few aisles with all toys marked down to 30%.

Do they go to 75% right after they put everything in the few aisles?

Maybe tomorrow.

I really don't think they're gonna go 75% off tomorrow - my store today had just started clearing all the aisles - removing and marking clearance toys and resetting for the spring toys. They were marking 30% and 50% off - mostly 30%. HOWEVER my old receipts do say Jan 9th.

This is usually when it happens.

I was at the Stanley store in OP, ks this afternoon and the aisles are condensed. There are a few aisles with all toys marked down to 30%.

Do they go to 75% right after they put everything in the few aisles?

Maybe tomorrow.

If there was going to be a store in KC that would go tomorrow, Stanly would be the one (IMO)!

Yeah, we haven't had nearly enough time for carping and complaining that it hasn't gone down yet. ;);) We always seem to spend several days biting our nails waiting.

This year, though, I am really pretty disappointed in what is leftover. However, I have seen a few items marked at some stores that have been reset at others. Usually I see that with small stores, but these have been larger ones. Weird. I don't know that I'll bother driving from store to store so much this year. Just not enough that I want.

Yeah, we haven't had nearly enough time for carping and complaining that it hasn't gone down yet. ;);) We always seem to spend several days biting our nails waiting.

This year, though, I am really pretty disappointed in what is leftover. However, I have seen a few items marked at some stores that have been reset at others. Usually I see that with small stores, but these have been larger ones. Weird. I don't know that I'll bother driving from store to store so much this year. Just not enough that I want.

I was thinking the same thing. I looked and looked and really only found a few things I really want when it goes 75%. Last year I got a ton!

Went back tonight looking for the items that "hide in plain sight"! Found:

2 Scotch Tape dispensers that strap to the back of your hand. .19

1 Command Metal hook 1.19 reg 11.99

2 of the travel sets of Clue and Sorry, for .99 cents reg 9.99

Also some more scotch tape. Seems like you can tell what's seasonal by looking to see if there is a price on the packaging. This was the case on all the 3M products, (Scotch and Command) that I bought.

Toys were messy, not condensed, and still at 30% I'm on the east coast so I'll do my best to report back!

Only things I really want are the wooden case poker and dominos sets that are 50% off now and any games they may clearance out that I dont have. I had to buy my sister an airline ticket today to fly down here tomorrow to be with me for my iron transfusion on friday so that took my extra shopping money (it's my first one and I am a little scared plus hubby is at sea and I needed someone to pick up the kids).