Crazy Blu-Ray deals this year?

hacksolo

Hey gang...

Do you think we'll see some of those buy a player get 5 or more free movies with Blu-Ray this year now that HD-DVD is dead? I almost pulled the trigger on an 80gig Playstation 3 last year when Wal-Mart had the pick 10 discs deal, but I didn't. :(

The wife and I are going Blu-Ray this year as our present to each other, and I'm hoping we'll see similar deals to last year as vendors compete for tighter consumer budgets this year.

Any guesses?

Thanks!

hacksolo

It's tough to see. The problem with the free movie offers is that many retailers don't stock many copies of BR movies to being with.

I think cheap players will be the main deal for Blu-ray. I'm guessing Walmart might have an off-brand model for $129 or so.

The deal Amazon had last week was the hottest I've seen. It ended up being a Samsung player + 4 movies for around $175 shipped.

Blu-ray isn't on my radar yet, as I don't even have an HDTV yet. I'm just curious when the movies will be more abundant and when they will drop in price. Unless its an all-time favorite movie I'm not really interested in paying 25-30 bucks for a movie.

After I get an HD TV though, it will be open season for blu-ray!

I've had the PS3 since it came out and have yet to purchase a blu-ray movie to watch in it! Are they really that much better? I have a HD-TV.....

In some cases, YES, they are that much better. For example, digitally animated movies like Ice Age are incredible in Blu-Ray. Other movies not so great like, Blazing Saddles. It is definitely better than DVD, but maybe not worth it for everyone. I have about 15 Blu-Ray movies now and really do enjoy the higher quality. I also rent BR from Netflix. Great way to see if the quality is worth it before you buy.

Hey gang...

Do you think we'll see some of those buy a player get 5 or more free movies with Blu-Ray this year now that HD-DVD is dead? I almost pulled the trigger on an 80gig Playstation 3 last year when Wal-Mart had the pick 10 discs deal, but I didn't. :(

The wife and I are going Blu-Ray this year as our present to each other, and I'm hoping we'll see similar deals to last year as vendors compete for tighter consumer budgets this year.

Any guesses?

Thanks!

hacksolo

I highly doubt that there will be any "buy a blu-ray player and get 'x' free movies" deals this year. The format war is over so there is no incentive to do that.

There may be some aggressive pricing on the older non-network-enabled blu-ray players.

On Thanksgiving, I believe that Kmart will have the Sony BP350 for $179 which is the best price I have seen on it. It is the one I want and it gets GREAT reviews on amazon. Amazon has it for around $225 right now. I heard the price will permanently go down on Dec. 1 for $199, so the $179 is still a better price.

On Thanksgiving, I believe that Kmart will have the Sony BP350 for $179 which is the best price I have seen on it. It is the one I want and it gets GREAT reviews on amazon. Amazon has it for around $225 right now. I heard the price will permanently go down on Dec. 1 for $199, so the $179 is still a better price.

It is also a doorbuster at Sears on BF for $179.

Good to know then if I cant manage to get it on BF (due to fast sellout) then I can at least get it at the same price come Dec/Jan once I get my next rewards certificate from my Amazon credit card

.... The format war is over so there is no incentive to do that.

The format war is over, but market penetration of Blu-Ray is still very small, so I think the manufacturers will still be looking to generate some buzz with the product.

Manufacturers aren't so desperate for market penetration as they were when there was a format war going on. The format war was quite costly for them and they want to recoup those losses. And they want to have blu-ray tiered at a higher price than DVD that has razor thin margins.

It is possible that there will be another "free discs w/player purchase" but it is less likely than it was last year. Certainly be ready to jump on such a deal... just don't plan on it.

I am starting to see blu-ray ads everywhere now, it seems like they are really pushing this product. I would get one if it plays blu ray as well as plain dvds

Blu-ray players typically play regular DVDs better than standard DVD players. Do your research because different models have different features. Except for high-end videophile models, the Sony PS3 is considered the best blu-ray player. I have one and it does a phenomenal job with regular discs too. (it upconverts/upscales them) It also makes a great multimedia hub for music, photos, and other videos. You can even watch tv shows and movies from hulu.com (for free) straight on the PS3's built-in web browser.

I have a PS3 and have seen both regular DVDs and Blu-rays on it ....and the differance to me is night and day. I agree that the PS3 is the best way to go in regards to a Blu-ray player....was watching "Mythbusters" tonight and saw three Blu-ray advertisments for them so they are certainly trying to get people to switch. A little known fact about the PS3 is that it can also surf the web. I hope that Ill be able to find another Sony Blu-ray player for the bedroom at a good price. Only time will tell. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and don't forget to thank a vet for your freedom.

Hey gang...

Any guesses?

Thanks!

hacksolo

I got that deal last year. I got my 10 free disks plus 5 free by mail. Loved the format war!

best deal in my opinion, particularly since its a Sony