Do you buy for your mail carrier?

tootsieroll23

My mail carrier is insane :eek:

If you attempt to go near the mail boxes she stands and shouts

"step away from the mail receptacle, it is a federal violation to approach the letter carrier

when she is delivering the mail" WTH :eyepoppin

Last year someone at the post office backed into her and she had a broken leg. I asked

the replacement carrier where she was and he said..the job wasn't completed :gdparanoid:

She is well known as a total lunatic..so no, no gift for her!

:chairfall: that is like the funniest thing i read all day, how the heck are ya suppose to hand a letter to her if ya wanted it mailed.

I used to give our old mailman scratch off lottery tickets and homemade cookies but we moved in Feb 2007 and I didn't give the mail person anything last year. This year I think I will because he/she (I have never seent he mail person) always wraps boxes and such in plastic and hangs them around the mailbox. Also, I only check my mail every two weeks (I do all my banking/billing online so I only get junk mail) and the mail person always finds a way to squeeze in the mail-so I feel bad about that!

I want to get my garbage man something this year because he brings my cans half way up my loooong drive way and he puts them upside down when it is raining. We also have a rule that the garbage compay only takes 1 large item per week but he always takes what ever I have.

I also want to give something to my UPS guy because I live right off of a busy street so he always brings my packages to the rear door so they are not sitting on my front step for the world to see.

"step away from the mail receptacle, it is a federal violation to approach the letter carrier

Last year someone at the post office backed into her and she had a broken leg. I asked

the replacement carrier where she was and he said..the job wasn't completed :gdparanoid:

She is well known as a total lunatic..so no, no gift for her!

I was laughing so hard dh had to come see what was so funny.

We don't I don't think our mailman likes us he never knocks when we have something to pick up he just leaves a missed you notice in our mailbox.

... that is the "official" stance of the USPS when interviewed...

Give them whatever you want to. No one will tell. I am sure there will never was a mailman turn down some cold hard cash. :no:

Do you know for sure your mailman even likes coffee? ;)

Well, she sent me a Thank You card (the only one I got from anyone) that said she enjoyed it, so I'm guessing she did... in any case, they sell other things. I'm thinking bookstore gift card this year...

I know my letter carrier by name and she goes out of her way to make sure we get our mail even when cars are parked in front of our box. We usually give her a gift card for $25 to either Target or another store. My Dad was a letter carrier and even a small gift like a box of candy is appreciated. They do work really hard.

I have the car issue myself :(--- and our carriers never get out of the truck if cars are parked in front of my mailbox. (I have witnessed them driving right past, and I ran outside trying to catch them..)

I tell everyone I know not to park infront, but I cannot control visitors/friends to the other people who live on the street not to park there. Very frustrating.

Not to be mean, I am sure there are tons of wonderful mail carriers --just wish I had one of them...

I have the car issue myself :(--- and our carriers never get out of the truck if cars are parked in front of my mailbox. (I have witnessed them driving right past, and I ran outside trying to catch them..)

I tell everyone I know not to park infront, but I cannot control visitors/friends to the other people who live on the street not to park there. Very frustrating.

Not to be mean, I am sure there are tons of wonderful mail carriers --just wish I had one of them...

I was a mail carrier for years & dh still is & all the "rules" & "laws" that have been mentioned are technically true..but I've met very few that abide by them....Like the blocking vehichle, they tell us it's a safety hazard to get out & deliver but seriously what's the difference in getting out to deliver a package or certified, ect....:confused: I almost always got out & delivered w/ a few exceptions...The $ limit for X~mas:eek:...Whatever I worked w/alot of carriers that had been there forever & they were bringing in thousands of $ during the holidays, alot of their customers gave them $100 bills:eyepoppin As for the being around a mail receptacle, I think it's been said too but I think it's just to cover the USPS butt, we had a incident in Indy where the driver backed up & ran over a old lady..she lived thank goodness & if i recall it was the governors mom:eek: Technically were not suppose to go in reverse..so the driver was wrong too!! Obviously these last rules were made coz the LLV's do have horrible blind spots!!:yup:

When I worked for the post office I was a sub and I did get cards, cookies, gift cards and cash. We were told not to take cash gifts or anything of monetary value, such as gift cards etc. We had even heard of them spying on us by having "customers" leave things in the mailbox just to see if we would accept them. I feel we should have been able to accept whatever was given because we worked hard all year long and not just during the Christmas season. If the customer offered it, then they must have felt that it was deserved.

I'm in the "don't have a decent mailman group" so I don't give anything. But if my mailman was decent, I would. He shows up at different times everyday, we've seen him sitting at certain homes for hours at a time. When we used to get packages that were too big for the mailbox he would shove it in between the screen door until he finally ripped the screen out of it. We now have a HUGE mailbox so we know most everything will fit in it.

One day during the summer, the neighbor lady was outside when the mailman came and she could hear his radio. He was listening to sex tapes :shock: :eyepoppinLOL!! He's probably 60 years old at least.

With all of my free samples and cheap deals rolling in all year long... yup we get him a $10 gift card to Stewart's (gas station/ice cream store). We have one main mailman and one fill in guy so I call the post office to make sure he is working when I leave his envelope.

Thank God I had already swallowed my drink when I read this...TFF!!:rotflol:

Add us to the crappy mail person list...we have a lady who drives a beater with an orange light on top, driving and steering FROM THE PASSENGER SEAT the ENTIRE route...needless to say, my kids don't come within 20 feet of the mailbox if she's around...and half the time, the mail is pushed far enough back that it opens the box on the other end, and ends up on the ground, or there is a box that's really too big for the mailbox, but too small to walk her butt up to my front door, apparently, and it's literally smashed in there...and I have seen her come back around a second time (within a few minutes of her initial delivery), because she's apparently so unorganized that she sometimes doesn't get it all delivered the first time around...needless to say, if I have something of great importance to mail out, I take it to the post office and drop it in THEIR mailbox myself...how pathetic is that, that I can't even take the chance and mail it from MY HOUSE??

Thank God I had already swallowed my drink when I read this...TFF!!:rotflol:

Add us to the crappy mail person list...we have a lady who drives a beater with an orange light on top, driving and steering FROM THE PASSENGER SEAT the ENTIRE route...needless to say, my kids don't come within 20 feet of the mailbox if she's around...and half the time, the mail is pushed far enough back that it opens the box on the other end, and ends up on the ground, or there is a box that's really too big for the mailbox, but too small to walk her butt up to my front door, apparently, and it's literally smashed in there...and I have seen her come back around a second time (within a few minutes of her initial delivery), because she's apparently so unorganized that she sometimes doesn't get it all delivered the first time around...needless to say, if I have something of great importance to mail out, I take it to the post office and drop it in THEIR mailbox myself...how pathetic is that, that I can't even take the chance and mail it from MY HOUSE??

Most mail vehicles are made to drive from the passenger side - aka the right side of the vehicle because that is where the mail boxes are located. If it is not a standard mail vehicle then she probably has had it modified to drive from that side.

My mailman has come back a couple of time - I am thankful that he does that instead of just deciding to leave it for another day :)