Buffet or sitdown

dancglady

We are having a few extra people for Thanksgiving this year. A few extra people in our little 900 sq ft house it a lot extra! Should we do buffet instead of sit down? What do you do at your home? BTW I refuse to do a kids table... I always hated that when I was a kid!

It depends on whether you have the room to do a buffet area.

I have a great room, dining room/living space all one large area and a small kitchen. I set up tables end to end the length of the great room and then had a buffet area in the kitchen. I set plates and had the guests pick their seat, grab their plate and fill up in the kitchen and then sit. Since no one was in an awkward place where they couldn't stand up and get more, it worked for us. I had the usual on the table, condiments, relishes, water pitchers, milk etc but the main entrees, one had to go to the buffet area.

I like buffet as long as people don't have to completely leave the conversation to visit the food. And I like buffet because then there are too many bowls on the table. Also, if the conversation is going well, sometimes people hate to interrupt to ask for food to be passed.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

I do buffet style....I understand you situation. I live in a single wide mobile home and this year we are having 14 attend (including us). The numbers keep going up every year. The only good thing is, I make 2 turkeys, potatoes, and corn...the basics and everyone else brings a dish or two with them. It makes it alot easier. When the turkeys are done everything is set up and ready to go. They help themselves and sit down where ever they can find room. Good luck and enjoy

with 8 children -(3 at home the other 5 bring their spouses and our grandchildren) so the total is 21(unless others drop by ) for dinner so a buffet is our friend....we have a kitchen/dining combo and we do a childs table.While it is not connected to the "adult" table it is very close.Our grandchildren get to set their table with the same placesettings and all the trimmings just like the big one. If you are not against it, you could ask the children who will be coming over how they might feel.

However you decide, have a blessed Thanksgiving.

I think it depends on what you can do. We switch up the 3 major holiday's.

My mother does Thanksgiving. She is able to serve us all family style at her dining room table. Usually there is in the range of 10-13 people.

My sister does Christmas, and usually there is 9-10 of us. She cannot accomdate us all at her table, so we do a buffet style meal. Then pick a seat wherever you can get one between her kitchen and living room (which are open and connected).

I usually do Easter. In the past I always could accomodate the 10-13 people in my dining room. So we all had it sit down- family style. This year we are in a much smaller place (about 1/2 the sq footage). If I continue to do Easter, it will have to be buffet style (I have no dining room now, and my eat in kitchen is not large enough for everyone).

Personally, I prefer sit-down, family style meals. Just had a funny thought, when we do our holiday meal at my inlaws I always refer to it as "grab n' growl". There is never enough room for everyone to sit- anywhere, and never enough food. Always baffles me because it's always the same # of people every year, so it should be better planned.

We usually have 18-22 depending on girlfriends, step-kids, etc. so we do a buffet. Makes it easy to leave things out for 2nd helpings and late arrivals, etc. My mom always worries about me having to "entertain" that many, but I love it...even trying to figure out how many extra tables to set up and how far I can exten my dining room table. One year we had one end in the foyer...too funny! The more the merrier!

I think it depends on what you can do. We switch up the 3 major holiday's.

My mother does Thanksgiving. She is able to serve us all family style at her dining room table. Usually there is in the range of 10-13 people.

My sister does Christmas, and usually there is 9-10 of us. She cannot accomdate us all at her table, so we do a buffet style meal. Then pick a seat wherever you can get one between her kitchen and living room (which are open and connected).

I usually do Easter. In the past I always could accomodate the 10-13 people in my dining room. So we all had it sit down- family style. This year we are in a much smaller place (about 1/2 the sq footage). If I continue to do Easter, it will have to be buffet style (I have no dining room now, and my eat in kitchen is not large enough for everyone).

Personally, I prefer sit-down, family style meals. Just had a funny thought, when we do our holiday meal at my inlaws I always refer to it as "grab n' growl". There is never enough room for everyone to sit- anywhere, and never enough food. Always baffles me because it's always the same # of people every year, so it should be better planned.

LOL that is funny. My DH and I always fight because "we make too much food" I would rather have too much then not enough!

it really depends on your set-up and how many people...

with Thanksgiving, I usually host and have 9-10 people, I can fit 8 at the main table and a small table to the side for my twins works well for us

we just had my ds 13th birthday and had 20 people here...no place for everyone to sit, so we did it buffett and had two tables set up in different rooms and tray tables in the room connecting the two rooms

you do what you have to do....I prefer family style, so whenever possible, that's what I do, but sometimes it just won't work

and I agree with leefamily23...food should be much better planned...I ALWAYS over make cause I'd rather have leftovers too (like dancglady) :)

although one year at my grandmother's for Thanksgiving (this was many years ago), we were sitting family style, but the food was passed around and when it got back to the head of the table, my grandmother put whatever was leftover into Tupperware!!!! Nobody got seconds on anything!!!! It was a weird year cause she also set the table with paper plates, plastic silverware and Dixie cups with water (dishes were never a problem cause I always washed them for her)....

families....lol