Kmart Starts 'Black Friday' Two Days After Halloween

Brad

http://adage.com/article?article_id=132162

From the story:

The retailer, part of Sears Holdings, said it will offer the deals exclusively in the home-electronics category to help customers kick-start their holiday shopping.

"Early Black Friday" sales on about 15 items will roll out in Sunday circulars between Nov. 2 and Nov. 23, as well as on Kmart.com. The deals are being worked into existing circular plans and will not garner additional advertising or promotional spending on the part of the marketer.

So it looks like Kmart just took a bunch of their regular electronics ad items, put them under an "Early Black Friday" banner and expects people to assume Black Friday = Good Deals when I'm guessing they won't be that great...

we will see how great that goes over i hope it works well and they have good deals then maybe it will inspire other stores to mark down toys and such to almost BF prices next year!

i don't really shop at kmart that offen just b/c there isn't one close but they have good deals all the time i like there xmas decorations

kmart has normally been putting their next week ad out online on the saturday before...so we may hopefully find out some of them before the week starts maybe

wnc_mom...i love their decorations too...one in particular...( ihope they have some left over when they hit 75% off...or better yet 90%...lol ( yeah right but u never know...i will definately be buying it if they have it at 75% reg. 79.99...( if they have one at 50% i may be tempted...)

http://adage.com/article?article_id=132162

From the story:

So it looks like Kmart just took a bunch of their regular electronics ad items, put them under an "Early Black Friday" banner and expects people to assume Black Friday = Good Deals when I'm guessing they won't be that great...

I agree. I think this is a sly way of getting people in the store with the usage of the "Black Friday" term. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on there being anything too exciting. I honestly think alot of stores are gonna jump on the bandwagon with this kind of tactic before the actual day. I looked at the TRU "Door Buster" ad for this weekend and was not impressed.

I have to say, between this and keeping layaway around, Kmart might actually clean up this year. Their advertising gurus should be congratulated.

Layaway, early Black Friday deals, and frequent double coupon events. I know of many, many people that would not set foot in a Kmart last year that now goes there on a regular basis because of these things. It would tickle me to no end of Kmart is saved (it's still on the brink of bankruptcy) by consumers because they shop there due to these campaigns they are running.

Really, what other stores are trying THIS hard to reach consumers and help out Main St right now?

I heard that this coming week they are brining back the infamous "Buy $50 gift card, get $10 gift card" too.

I shop their once week now. I shop at Walmart only on Sundays to get my papers for coupons. WM has lost most of my business. Kmart and their wonderful clearance is getting my attention.

K-Mart does have some pretty big disadvantages, though. Their stores are generally cluttered and a lot of items do not have any prices. I have gone there 2 or 3 times this year to find they did not stock or sold out of last week the items in their sales ad (when I go I get there Sunday right as they open). Another time I had a manager who she said she had the items I wanted but they were on the top shelf behind some other boxes and was very upset with me because I made her go get them. I live in a big city, too, with 2 of them near me and a third within driving distance. Still, though, my wife loves to check out their clearance items and has found some really good deals that way. As for me, I would rather go to Wal-mart... too many bad experiences.

K-Mart does have some pretty big disadvantages, though. Their stores are generally cluttered and a lot of items do not have any prices. I have gone there 2 or 3 times this year to find they did not stock or sold out of last week the items in their sales ad (when I go I get there Sunday right as they open). Another time I had a manager who she said she had the items I wanted but they were on the top shelf behind some other boxes and was very upset with me because I made her go get them. I live in a big city, too, with 2 of them near me and a third within driving distance. Still, though, my wife loves to check out their clearance items and has found some really good deals that way. As for me, I would rather go to Wal-mart... too many bad experiences.

The exact opposite is true here. Too many bad experiences at Wal Mart sent me to Meijer and K Mart.

Hi I'm not too sure if this is the proper place to post this but please forgive me if its not, I have been away for so long became disabled this year fighting disability and things of been tough but i know the Lord will see us through. I just have one question if anyone can please help because of the tightness of funds this year my family will be getting 1 combined gift this year and I'm hoping too get it at the lowest price possible so my question Does anyone know of anywhere the Nintendo Wii is on sale for a good price was hoping it would be a black Friday special somewhere but I get so confused trying to go through the different forums to get sales for stores Thank you so much in advance for any help you can be Blessings Barb