Sony PSP or Nintendo DS?

My 5 year old son just told me yesterday that he really wants a nintendo ds for christmas. I was looking at prices and thought they would have came down a little, they have been out for a while now, havent they? While looking at the ds's I ran into the PSP. Which has gone down in price. I would love to hear what someone has to say in comparing the two. This would be his major item for christmas and like I said he is only 5 and could possible be rough with it. Any comments/suggestions? TIA

Both my kids ages 13 and 8 have both the PSP and the Nintendo DS. For a child of that age, I would go with the DS. The PSP has a LCD screen that can be damaged very easily. The games are on like little discs that can be scratched. Good variety in the Nintendo DS in games for a 5 yr old too.

I purchased for this Xmas 3 DS Lites. my kids are 6,9, and 12. I was going to get my 12yo a PSP but decided not to after hearing how they don't have a big selection of games out now and they don't have many in the future at this point.

Seems like the Ds is a better way to go for your childs age.

I would go with the DS for the 5 y/o. The variety of games is great for that age. We bought my DS4 a DS because he was always stealing his older brother and sisters DS. He loves his DS. There is not a day that goes by that he is not playing it. Mario games are his favorite with the DS and the WII. Edited by kellygirl911

I would also add to make sure that you buy/use some type of bag to store the DS and games in as well. The games are tiny (almost the size of a camera memory card) and easily misplaced. I have two 8 year olds - and still have to remind them to put everything back in the bags. My other (unsolicited) tip is if you ever let them take it on a trip - put your cell phone number on the bag! One of my kids left it on a plane in the rush to get off, and if it weren't for my older daughter putting a luggage tag on it with our cell phone number - the airline never would have contacted us!

My 5 year old son just told me yesterday that he really wants a nintendo ds for christmas. I was looking at prices and thought they would have came down a little, they have been out for a while now, havent they? While looking at the ds's I ran into the PSP. Which has gone down in price. I would love to hear what someone has to say in comparing the two. This would be his major item for christmas and like I said he is only 5 and could possible be rough with it. Any comments/suggestions? TIA

The "new" DS is being released sometime after Christmas this year. Wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing some good bundle prices coming closer to Christmas.

According to this site, http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151827/nintendos_dsi_probably_hitting_us_in_2009_says_iwata.html

the new DSi will be a late 2009 release.

As for the question, I'd also go with the DS for a younger child. I own a PSP & prefer it to DS. There are actually a lot of games. However, there are more for the DS and specifically more kid friendly ones at that. ***my opinion is the PSP was designed more for gamers not family friendly as was the PS3. Nintendo on the other had tends to trend more (and brilliantly so) to the entire family.