Stealing or Getting Lucky.... What do you think?

I go back and tell someone...

I've found that in the long run, honesty is ALWAYS the best policy...

if you believe in karma, you could consider the 'freebie' a test and whether or not you return it could affect an actual better 'good thing' to happen to you later

:yup: I completely agree.

It's karma alright, bad karma. Especially if you noticed in the store or store parking lot.

I have realized that a cashier didn't charge me for something and I did go back and point it out, especially when it's something expensive. I have also handed cashiers back my change when they have given me too much back. But I also have gotten home and wondered why my stuff didn't cost as much as I thought and checked my receipt and realized that the cashier didn't charge for something under $5, in that case I did not go back to the store.

And as to the person complaining about competent help, you must never have worked retail. Even the best cashiers get frazzled when it's that busy and people are yelling at you for things you have NO control over, and you're trying to get people out of there as fast as possible and the line doesn't look like it's getting any shorter, and people just keep complaining, and you're continually ringing people up for hours without a break trying not to forget to ask the customer this or that because that's what corporate says you have to do...

I was a cashier for many years and now will yell at someone for yelling at a cashier.

Just an interesting note...in the thread for "Where did the link for Free Boots go?" people are hoping to get their orders for free boots before the company figures out the error...no one seems too worried about the poor schmuck who made the mistake there....lots of fingers crossed...lol. Just thinking we seem to be way more honest in person!

The other day at the gas station I filled up and then realized I'd just paid $4.23 for a FULL tank! And no, I didn't alert anyone, the machine reset to the correct price when I finished...but I figured after months of $4 per gallon gas and a 6 billion $ profit BP could afford a little goodwill and charity for me:yup:.

just a thought...

I agree that going back should be the main key. I have accidentally walked out with items under bags of paid for items that I honestly forgot to pay for with the other items. When I discovered this I took the items back inside and the folks were surprised and thanked me for being honest. I agree about the folks on the "where did the free boots link go" Come on folks..........FREE without a buy something deal:no: That employee that screwed that up does not think that is funny right about now. We are on GOTTADeal not GOTTASteal.:o

If I noticed when I was in the car or close by, I would go back in. The closest bb stores are an hour so no, I would not spend my time and gas money to go back and pay for it. I would feel guilty as hell every time I used it but, I wouldnt go out of my way to go back in there if it was very inconvenient.

But if it was possible for me to go back without too much fuss, yes I deff would

Well, I guess it would depend....

I had a situation happen leaving Safeway where I had forgotten my giant package of TP and giant package of paper towels on the bottom of the cart because the cashier and bagger and I were talking and I didn't pay for them. I would have gone back in and paid for them, but our Safeway is on a big thing about making absolute sure that the bottom cart items are rang up and suspending/firing people for missing them. So, if I went back in a 30+ year employee would have gotten in trouble, so no way I was going back in. Not to mention the fact that stuff rings up wrong on my receipt all the time. I realize that two wrongs dont make a right, but $15-20 bucks worth of paper products wasnt worth someones job. I do realize that this is a huge price difference from a camcorder so a different situation, but my point is that it would really depend on the circumstances

If I was in the parking lot, I'd go back. If I was home already before I noticed, I'd have to think about it.

But I honestly watch everything that is rung up to make sure that I'm getting the right price, so I would have noticed it when the cashier hit the "total" button.

So to all those folks who would keep it - would you go back if they charged you twice? If you say yes - than what's the difference? A mistake is a mistake and everyone is human and everyone makes them.